Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Garden 2016

For the Love of Cats

Garden 2016

post up some pics and plans for the year...

Got 3 heads of garlic split up and into the semi frozen ground.
    and got 72 peat pucks started for each peppers and tomatoes.

Tomatoes:
    Grey Cherry - 12
    Earlie Annie - 12
    42 Day - 12
    Manitoba - 12
    Cheeseman's - 12
    Roma - 12

Peppers:
    Ghost - 6
    Jalapeno - 12
    Portuguese - 12
    Match Chili - 12
    King of the North- 12
    Weavers - 12
    Yellow Bell - 6

Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I'll most likely shit myself

So far I have planted 2 rows of taters, 3 rows of onions, 1 row of beets, & 1 row of cabbage. I'll be starting my tomatos and peppers very soon. Probably a little late but I don't plan to plant them until early May. Everything else will go straight in the ground.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    So far I have planted 2 rows of taters, 3 rows of onions, 1 row of beets, & 1 row of cabbage. I'll be starting my tomatos and peppers very soon. Probably a little late but I don't plan to plant them until early May. Everything else will go straight in the ground.
    It's a weird weather year, don't be afraid to plant a little late. I just lost all my basil because the weather man missed his low by 3*. Had I known, i woulda carried everything in. My taters that were up got burned on top, but I had mounded them up the day before, so not too bad.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Today I planted mammoth dill, bush beans, immortality herb, another 10 strawberries, I mulched my Nanking cherries which might actually produce a handful of berries this year (yay) I planted a "raspberry Anne" yellow raspberry which brings me to 6 raspberry, 8 blackberry, 3 loganberry, 2 Aronia berry, 3 goji berry, 2 hardy kiwi, 1 grape, 1 plum, 1 peach, 1 fig, 3 Nanking cherry, 1 pear cocktail, and a plum, peach, necatrine cocktail tree. Lots of onions, various herbs, 60 strawberries, lettuce, spinach, 3 kinds of taters (red, purple, white kennebec) pulled a wad of carrots from a global bucket that we planted in the fall and required ZERO maintenance after planting. Lots of maters on the way soon, lost 4 peppers to a late frost this week, so that's awesome.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

For the Love of Cats

Carrots in a global bucket??? interesting. how many did you plant in the pail?

Shit! I hadn't thought of running my global buckets indoors in the winter damn!

I'm going to look at a lighting system, and establishing a group of global buckets for next winter. May also have to look at a closed circuit water heating system off 12V too.

Damn... going to start a new thread on this.

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    Carrots in a global bucket??? interesting. how many did you plant in the pail?

Shit! I hadn't thought of running my global buckets indoors in the winter damn!

I'm going to look at a lighting system, and establishing a group of global buckets for next winter. May also have to look at a closed circuit water heating system off 12V too.

Damn... going to start a new thread on this.
    I planted a whole package of seeds in this bucket with the intention of thinning it once they got up and running. I didn't get around to thinning it. The painting biz has been so busy, I just never got around to it. The result? I got about 45 carrots. I'd say 10 are regular size 6-10 inch, 20 are 5-6 inch, and 15 were fat little 3-4 inch. We didn't really pant these to have a super supply of carrots, we actually just wanted to see how they'd do in a bucket since we were unimpressed by tomatoes in them.

I'll most likely shit myself

AK, I typically don't plant some of my stuff, tomatos, peppers, and such until May, so not really worried about being late. I had an Aunt that always said to not plant till the ground gets warm. It just delays the plant growth because of the shock of cold ground.

I have still yet to grow a brain
    Sorry to much to retype and re post so... I will cheat jump into my Aquaponics page and have a look see if your interested. https://www.facebook.com/groups/6501...3506076458615/
    The tallest oak in the forest was once just a nut who held its ground.

Be decisive. Right or Wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who could not make a decision.

For the Love of Cats

Awesome! tx.

For the Love of Cats

Got the 9 global buckets in the yard set up yesterday, in the boxes that I made last fall:

I still have to plant flowers in the front to hopefully attract some bees, and add the upper frame to tie the tomatoes to so they don't fall over.

Also got my hoy peppers planted (Ghost, Portuguese, Match, and Jalapino):

No pics yet, but also got my sweet bells planted, and put the critter fences up on my carrots and beets, and hot peppers.