I built a small survival kit based on the Maxpedition Monkey Admin Pouch. It's main purpose in life is to ride in my overnight bag for work. If I'm traveling by car I've got a BOB and other supplies in my car, however, I have to occasionally fly and having something I can toss in the suitcase and at least have "something" with me is nice.

Here's a shot of the bag next to a BlackBerry to give you a size comparison. It's not small and is probably a bit large to consider it a "mini" kit. However, it's manageable in the bottom of an overnight bag or small suitcase.

Looking down from the top you can see the various flaps and compartments in the admin pouch. This makes it handy to jam a lot of items inside the kit.

Starting at the back of the pouch and moving forward....

There is a small pocket that has two large trashbags to use as expedient ponchos/shelters.

The first big pocket houses the big items. It contains a: ponch/space blanket, Surfire G2 light, Esbit stove, altoids tin full of dryer lint, 550 cord, kobalt multi-tool and knife.

Next is a pocket with a velcro seal on top and two pulltabs to open it. Inside resides a compass and several batteries. I could likely fit something else in there but haven't decided what that will be as yet.

In the very front pocket (a shallow one) I have a sewing kit and a small screwdriver tool thingy.

Picture of all of the above.