Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Into the deep freeze

For the Love of Cats

Quote Originally Posted by RedJohn View Post
    Nah, it didn't even last 2 hours.
    wtf??? You missed out on 2 hours of sleddin'

lol

-39C here now with a nice light breeze to take the windchill to -52C (-62F for my American friends)
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

Quote Originally Posted by Katrina View Post
    With Mt St Helen giving indications of a possible eruption, it has been on my mind. Right now it's dropped to -7 out side with wind chills at -35. Tomorrow they are saying below zero temps again w/ -45+ wind chill AND it's STILL snowing. So much for only 4-8 inches they said we were going to get.
    Whats this about St Helens popping?
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

Walking on Sunshine

There is a report that says the magnum chamber has been growing and bulging the side of the volcano. Baby brother lives there. He said something about the spot they are watching is growing about 5 feet a day but I haven't talked to him since Sunday as he's been doing split shifts at the port. It's been hard to catch him, we'll be talking Friday.
    Well, Just talked to brother seems there are conflicting reports , some scientist is saying it's rising 5 meters and others are saying no. All my brother knows is that he'll be ready to bug out if it does erupt otherwise he keeps chugging along.
    Last edited by Katrina; 01-31-2019 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Update

Bacon saver

I remember that day, my grandma sent me a vial of ashes she scraped off her car. She lived in Kalispell Montana, never knew what happened to that.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

For the Love of Cats

That was the worst summer of my childhood. Too young to really understand the consequences, just knew that it was hazy, dusty, and hard to breathe all summer
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Don't want to live it if is going to be that cold for ever. Screw that.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Bacon saver

Yeah, I think I was around 18 I think when St. Helens blew. As for the cold, they are talkin records. I remember when I was stationed in Great Lakes doing the "DI" thing We were called "Company Commanders" then. We were marchin in 53 below zero wind chill factor. Uniform of the day was "wear seabag". That somewhere between 91-94. That was the coldest "I" have ever experienced, having traveled the world north, south, east and west. My body hates the cold. I believe they call these seasons, eh?

Experiencing some "rough weather" on Maui. Visiting my son and grandkids and high winds and rain aare creating a series of problems. He is on the west side of the island , west of Lahaina. There is basicaly one road that runs from east - west along the island and it is closed in places due to high surf. We were planning on heading up to the north side to see the large waves, running 40 - 60 feet but the road is in danger of washing out in the high rains. Glad the boy has enough food, water and alcohol to last several days.

At our home in SoCal there has been some concern about part of a mountain coming down. The area burned 2 1/2 years ago and has actually regenerated pretty well but we have had a great deal more rain above average and I understand it is a true concern.

Bacon saver

Hope you guys fair well out that way. It's a viscous cycle out there with mother nature. She likes California.

Do you have a robot?
    Well we have rain not a lot of snow here on the Left Coast. The Sierras have gotten 11 feet of snow already this month.
    Soooo back to the original question, how would we fair. Well as they say, "it will be a cold day in hell", they were right. So, for us on the coast will not do so good. If it were to be a "nuclear" winter for two years nothing is going to be growing except underground with grow lights. If that happens out here is won't be food, it will be dope. So, there will be a lot of people out there who get high and wait for the government to arrive and bail them out, Popsicle anyone? I think in that situation if you do not have the food stockpiled you are screwed. In most cases it will not be pleasant, they will be DRT (dead right there). The thing is, depending upon where you are there will be plenty of wood to burn because all the trees will be dead. I see the lack of proper clothing will get a lot of people. I would hope that my people would do okay, but it would be a struggle if it were to past the two-year mark. In this scenario with snow you have water so that would help. Animals would freeze but then the cold would preserve them. I don't see there being large groups but rather groups of 20 to 30 at most due to food and shelter. The one of reason for small groups is if it were to get that cold then cars are not going to run once turned off and limited fuel they can't leave them running. Travel by foot will be limited to most because they will not be properly equipped. I see people hunkering down rather than being nomads. The only people who are out are the ones who must be out.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.