Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Are you ready for a medium SHTF event?

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    Don’t beat around the bush Backpacker...tell us how you really feel!

TENNESSEE MAIL IN PRESIDENTIAL BALLOTS WILL MAKE IT EASIER TO VOTE THEY SAY...

Nashville judge on Thursday ruled the state of Tennessee must give any registered voter the option to cast a ballot by mail, paving the way for widespread mail-in voting in light of the coronavirus pandemic.

Previously, Tennessee has limited the use of absentee ballots and mail-in voting to those who are actively sick, disabled, traveling or elderly. The risk of being exposed to coronavirus was not considered justification to submit a vote by mail.

Davidson County Chancellor Ellen Hobbs Lyle on Thursday ordered the state government to abandon this restriction and no longer require a specific excuse for why a resident could not vote in person.

State attorneys had argued this was infeasible, despite the fact that most states offer less restrictive and more expansive use of absentee ballots. In her order, Lyle wrote “the evidence does not support” the state’s claim that it is “impossible” to provide expanded access to voting by mail.

“In this time of the worldwide COVID-19 pandemic and its contagion in gatherings of people, almost all states – both Republican and Democrat – are providing their citizens the health protection of a voting by mail option,” Lyle wrote. “This includes southern states such as Alabama, South Carolina and Arkansas, and Tennessee‘s neighboring state of Kentucky and nearby West Virginia. The governors, state officials and legislators in those states have spearheaded efforts to expand access to voting by mail to protect the health of their citizens during the pandemic.”

Per Lyle’s order, the state is no longer permitted to enforce its current requirement that residents provide an “excuse” as to why they cannot vote in person. The state is also mandated to provide any eligible voter who applies to vote by mail in order to avoid coronavirus with an absentee ballot. The state must also post on their websites notifications that those who do not wish to vote in person because of coronavirus are eligible to request an absentee ballot and cast their vote by mail.

The order does not require the state to automatically mail absentee ballots to all registered voters, as is done in some states. Voters must still ask for an absentee ballot so they can vote by mail.

In a written statement issued after the ruling, the American Civil Liberties Union of Tennessee called the decision a “major victory for voting rights.” The ACLU represented Ben Lay, a Nashville resident who was one of the plaintiffs whfiled a lawsuit challenging the state’s existing rules restriction voting by mail.

“I am very grateful that I will now be able to vote safely," Lay said in the ACLU statement. "Though I am disabled and my wife and I both have health conditions that compromise our immune systems, we were barred from voting by mail before. Thanks to the court, I can now exercise my right to vote without putting my health or the health of my wife at risk."

The Tennessee Secretary of State disagrees with Lyle's ruling and expects Attorney General Herbert Slatery III to appeal, said Julia Bruck, a spokeswoman for Secretary of State Tre Hargett. Slatery criticized the ruling in a statement but didn't address plans to appeal.

“It is yet another court decision replacing legislation passed by the people’s elected officials with its own judgment, largely ignoring the practicalities of implementing such a decision, and doing so in the midst of a pandemic and budget crisis," Slatery said.

Mail-in voting has become a political focal point as the United States grapples with a deadly coronavirus pandemic that will likely stretch through the presidential election in November. Voters who mail in their ballots will be able to avoid polling places that may be ripe for exposure to the virus on Election Day.

Five states already handle all voting by mail. Most states permit residents to vote by mail on request, although some require a reason to accept a ballot by mail. Tennessee is one of a dwindling number of states that doesn’t consider the coronavirus pandemic a justification to vote by mail.

Gov. Bill Lee has said he does not believe mail-in voting for all is “necessary in our state.”

This unwillingness to expand mail-in voting during the pandemic has led to lawsuits in both state and federal court. The ruling on Thursday came from two lawsuit in state court filed by a total of nine voters in Shelby, Davidson and Rutherford counties.

In her order, Lyle said neighboring states had exhibited a “can-do attitude” when it came to mail-in voting while Tennessee’s position was “unapologetic.” The state’s “failure to adapt” had placed a “severe burden on those who are highly susceptible to coronavirus and at least a moderate burden on all other voters.

“Thus, the State‘s restrictive interpretation and application of Tennessee‘s voting by mail law … during the unique circumstances of the pandemic, constitutes an unreasonable burden on the fundamental right to vote guaranteed by the Tennessee Constitution.”
    "Teach the children quietly
    For someday sons and daughters
    Will rise up and fight while we stood still"

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.

This means I get to vote twice...once for myself, and once for my 84 yr. old step-mother who doesn’t want to vote, and wouldn’t know the difference. So if I could do that, who is going to stop the rest of the rabble? And a drunk, junkie, or homeless person would sell theirs for a fix, a drink, or a burger.
    Last edited by Domeguy; 06-06-2020 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Forgot sumpin

As my wife and I analyzed how we came through this trial run of SHTF we decided we need to make a few adjustments to our food supplies. What actually surprised both of us was that we did not come close to using 1/2 of our stock, though we did have a few trips to stores for a few things, some fresh fruit, veggies, meat.

I know most of you want to see this "house arrest" shit ended as much as I do.

CC Gray Panther
    Quote Originally Posted by Socalman View Post
    As my wife and I analyzed how we came through this trial run of SHTF we decided we need to make a few adjustments to our food supplies. What actually surprised both of us was that we did not come close to using 1/2 of our stock, though we did have a few trips to stores for a few things, some fresh fruit, veggies, meat.

I know most of you want to see this "house arrest" shit ended as much as I do.
    House arrest ?
    Here in Ohio we move about like we did before the scary virus . I haven't worn a mask 99.9% of the time . If a business says everyone who enters must I do because it's their right . So I get my shit that's on my list and evacuate the store . If I see anybody not wearing one my comes off faster than a speeding bullet .

There are only a very very few who have asked me why I don't wear a mask and I say they're useless. Most people wear the little blue mask . When I was asked a couple of times why I don't wear one my reply was as follows .

Do you know that the micron size of the virus is smaller than the weaving in your mask ? They usually say no and I reply maybe you should Google it and you'll see that you're being lead like a sheep . Plus the majority of mask out there are just as bad .

The common cold and Flu are corona virus ; this is just a different strain . If your immune system is healthy you may get it and never know it .
    But hey I'm just a 70 year old who has lived through Polio and all the others in my time . This is just a plan to herd the sheep .

Back when I was knee high to a bullfrog I was told by my elders that only the strong survive . Didn't understand till I became an adult and realized that only I could control my future . Independence and critical thinking were the only 2 tools I needed and it enabled me to see and think clearly .

Am I out of line or crazy ? Maybe but we in Ohio for the most part don't play stupid political scare games . And this is just what this is in my opinion . Your mileage may vary .
    Good luck in your part of the country brother . Hope you and yours come out on the good side .

Run Low Drive On

I use the term HOUSE ARREST because that is what our democrap governor would like to see. So many businesses are closed down, entertainment venues closed, churches closed, schools closed. Yep, it is BS. However bad I think we may have it, the people in Hawaii are way worse off.

On the bright side, some schools in Orange County, California just may be allowed to open their doors to students in the next 2 weeks. Of course the local school boards have the final say and if they are controlled by those who think this truly is life/death situation pandemic, well, all bets are off.

CC Gray Panther
    Quote Originally Posted by Socalman View Post
    I use the term HOUSE ARREST because that is what our democrap governor would like to see. So many businesses are closed down, entertainment venues closed, churches closed, schools closed. Yep, it is BS. However bad I think we may have it, the people in Hawaii are way worse off.

On the bright side, some schools in Orange County, California just may be allowed to open their doors to students in the next 2 weeks. Of course the local school boards have the final say and if they are controlled by those who think this truly is life/death situation pandemic, well, all bets are off.
    I understand ; they thought about that here but I think they knew it wouldn't work . And that's with a so called republican governor . He tried different things but nothing like other states .

I can only imagine what you have to go through with a Democratic held state . Just what I read or see on the news makes me glad I don't live there like my brother in law who lives in Long Beach and L.A.

So our latest chapter in "2020 the Year from Hell" is currently unfolding around us. We have been experiencing several days of temperatures in excess of 112. Not huge problem in and of itself. Oh wait! You are reading a post from a California member. This is the state that passed laws requiring 30% of electricity to be produced by "renewable" means by 2030. So we have not built generating plants, we have closed plants all to show you folks what the "Green New Deal" will do. I mean, show you how the Green New Deal will rape you.

As I write this there are, just in Los Angeles County there are 487` outages with 23,831 homes impacted. Why? because we do not have the infrastructure in place due to a certain political party that has control in this state. The effect on us has been to drive us to take food to our daughters home a few miles away and hang out there until later in the evening, when we can open up the house.

We just got notification that we should have electricity by 1730 hours on 9/8.

What has this shown regarding SHTF? My wife is on board for a generator!

I'll most likely shit myself

They could build so called green power generation everywhere and it still wouldn't produce near enough to cover the need. The really bad part of Green Power the libs never mention is how much resources it takes to produce the generation systems. So much so that a single wind turbine or solar system will never produce enough energy to even balance out the energy require to produce it. Not to mention their lifespan is very short compared to a normal coal or nat gas plant, not to mention how little they produce in comparison.

TENNESSEES NEWEST MAIL IN BALLOT RULES

In response to a ruling by the state Supreme Court, Tennessee's Secretary of State has created a new absentee ballot application, this time not mentioning COVID-19 while offering a $1,000 reward for reports of voter fraud.

Earlier this month, the state Supreme Court overturned a lower court's ruling that let all eligible voters cast an absentee ballot due to COVID-19. In its ruling, the court ordered the state to issue "appropriate guidance" to voters informing those with underlying health conditions or who are caretakers that they can cast absentee ballots.

In the days since, Tennessee Secretary of State Tre Hargett's office has changed the absentee ballot application to what it deems reflective of the court's ruling.

The updated application, however, is silent on COVID-19 while encouraging voters to report suspected cases of voter fraud.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .........

My wife and I will be down at our County Building voting in person...virus be damned!

may be in trouble

And i will be over at C D Stamps casting mine... and then maybe staying outside the electioneering line and making comments about one of the poll watchers.

Mail-in is a farce.