A while back I picked up a generator capable of 3,500 watts continuous power and 4,000 watts starting power. I know it is not going to be enough to power all the lights and appliances my wife wants to use at once, but figure that it will give us some comfort and convivence when SoCal Edison can not supply us. Early in Sept we experienced four consecutive days of 112 degree weather, with no electricity, smoke from fires horrible. Our power went out for that same time period. We suffered at night, all we had in the bedroom was a small battery operated fan. Had to take a a freezer full of food to my daughter's house. NEVER AGAIN!

We are going to have an electrician install a transfer switch so we can hook directly into our panel and not have to drag out extension cords. We have our choice of two switches, either 6 circuits or 10 circuits. The price differential is $100 in the two. His installation charge is the same. I have traced out what circuits power various things in our home and we could get by ok with the 6. That would power things like our garage which has an electric opener and houses the freezer, laundry room so we can still clean clothes, stove, microwave and a few kitchen wall plugs, wall plugs that will keep our internet connection and computer, TV, some wall plugs in bedrooms and bathrooms. We would also have the fan on our forced air heater. The 10 circuit switch will power almost everything, though not at once.

What do you suggest? Save $100 and "rough it" or spend the $100 and be totally comfortable?

Any suggestions about having this done?

BTW, I have enough fuel in storage to run this thing for, according to its published specs, about 160 hours of continuous running.

Give me your opinions!