Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ENO Hammocks

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

You may want to check this out from Bass Pro. I use this one when I camp in the desert as I have an aversion to scorpions and other crawlies coming to see me.

Kamp-Rit Oversized Tent Cot with Rain Fly

The source of all known trouble in the universe

I like the "above ground" feature. Good to put in the BOL.

Crotch Rocket

I went ahead and got the ENO single nest in green/ tan last night. It was incredibly simple to set up and take down. Its also incredibly easy to hit the dirt with it - whether on purpose (or not). Please don't ask me how I know!

I can already tell I'll be adding more of their components to it over time. It was waaay too comfortable to simply leave it at home for the back yard! I'll post pics and a review after I get some better use out of it.
    Last edited by mitunnelrat; 05-10-2011 at 09:56 PM. Reason: I am my own spelling and grammar nazi
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I'll most likely shit myself

MI the two items I like are the rain fly and the bug net. Seems to be good products.

Crotch Rocket

Those are the two items I had specifically in mind! I got the super slap straps already. They were quite a bit longer than the standard straps, and only a few dollars more. I might appreciate that extra length some day.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I'll most likely shit myself

I looked at those, but was considering 550 cored since I always cary a bunch of it anyway. How long are they? Maybe need to9 reconsider.

Crotch Rocket

they're actually called the "Slap Straps PRO", and they're 9.5 feet long each. They're also incredibly easy to use. You can throw the end across/ over whatver you want to use as an anchor, pull the running end through the loop they've sewn in, and clip the hammock's 'biner into any one of several attachment points sewn along its length. I'd actually recommend this setup to an amputee, its that easy.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Crotch Rocket

Quote Originally Posted by mitunnelrat View Post
    they're actually called the "Slap Straps PRO", and they're 9.5 feet long each. They're also incredibly easy to use. You can throw the end across/ over whatver you want to use as an anchor, pull the running end through the loop they've sewn in, and clip the hammock's 'biner into any one of several attachment points sewn along its length. I'd actually recommend this setup to an amputee, its that easy.
    ETA: I'm reading reviews on REI. Apparently these straps are great for lounging in the backyard (which is where I used them), but are "too stretchy" for serious backcountry use, which affects how the hammock hangs and can sag enough overnight to put you just above ground. The common solutions from all complaining so far have been to use polyester straps, which won't harm trees either, or to set the straps at shoulder level.
    Last edited by mitunnelrat; 05-11-2011 at 01:58 AM.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

NVG....totally a work deduction!

Concealment, imo, is a priority in a limited set of circumstances, which don't even encompass every evacuation event, let alone every emergency/ disaster. I believe a person's only hurting themselves in the end if they select gear/ make decisions within tight limits. Abraham Maslow said it best:
    I used to make sure everything was easy to conceal. Now I make sure I can conceal if necessary, but also have the option of being seen.

For example, my bivy sack is a more muted color, while my sleeping bag is very bright yellow. If I want to be seen I can lay the bag out and attract rescue, or use it inside the bivy sack and stay hidden. Or put up the foliage green poncho tarp and really blend in to woodlands.

NVG....totally a work deduction!

While its possible I may need it to get home during an emergency, its more probable I'll want to kick back on a riverbank while fishing this summer .
    Don't forget to spring for the cupholder attachment!