Slowly the world came back into focus. It took him a few minutes of squinting to realize the crazy patchwork of gray and red was only the tin roof and rusted support trusses of the ceiling above him.

Realizing that he was alive and very hungry the man slowly tried to sit up but nearly tipped the cot over in doing so. Regaining his balance Caddy looked around at his surroundings. He could have been in any number of mechanic garages around the world. Between the tools strewn over the workbenches, the air and hydraulic hoses snaking across the floor and the welding equipment it was clear that he was being housed in some sort of workshop.

Getting his sea legs back he soon realized why he was so hungry. Besides having not eaten in just over twenty-four hours, the steaming plate of pork chops, peas and potatoes sitting near his makeshift bed helped inflame his appetite.

Rubbing his aching legs Caddy looked around trying to get a sense of what was going on. It was only then he noticed the man leaning casually against one of the workbenches.

“Eat. I’m sure you are hungry,” said the man.

Eyeing the food suspiciously Caddy didn’t move.

“It’s fine. I’ll be glad to eat some if you wish” encouraged the man who didn’t seem to have a care in the world.

Figuring that if they wanted him dead, he would have never woken up, Caddy picked up the plate, placed it on some equipment and began eating.

“I’ll have some iced tea for you shortly,” said the man. He allowed Caddy to eat for a while before continuing. “I have to ask, why did you come here?”

Swallowing a piece of pork-chop before speaking, Caddy said, “Told your people earlier. I was here before. Saw military men. If there’s a resistance movement brewing, this is the center of it all.” True to form, Caddy laid his cards on the table without a lot of beating around the bush.

“A couple of ex-military boys making ends meet by working on a farm isn’t exactly proof is it?” countered Miller as he toyed with a hammer lying on the bench.

Looking Miller over to gage his sincerity Caddy replied, “Largest working farm in the area makes for a great base. Those hard working men you mentioned had fake ID’s. You had guards posted on the property when I showed up. The men were careful not to use any names around me. Hell, even this little chat stinks of people who know what they are doing.”

Smiling Miller said. “Lets say you’re right you are right. What are you looking for?”

Chasing a couple loose peas with his fork, Caddy responded, “I have a lot to offer your people. I know your opposition inside and out, can tell you what I know. That’s valuable to your group.”

“Go on” said Miller, continuing to lure Caddy further and further down the road.

“I know troop strengths, patrol patterns, communications frequencies, locations of bases, planed raids. All of it. Inside and out.”

“They’ll change all of those if they figure out you’ve flipped.”

“True enough” said Caddy as he downed some of the best mashed potatoes he’d ever eaten. “But the short term value is high. Gives you a chance to rapidly build strength. Down the road, when they change it all up, they’ll have to do so on the defensive.”

Smiling, and continuing his relaxed pose and demeanor, Miller pressed on. “Marine?”

Caddy nodded in affirmation.

“You didn’t answer my question. What are you looking for?” asked Miller.

“Let’s call it payback. Listen, I can help move your little group ahead in the game by light-years. On top of all that, I’m guessing you aren’t all that big of an operation yet. I know what other groups might be out there. That ought to make growing your thing easier.”

Miller smiled as he got exactly what he wanted. “Sounds like a third-rate movie, but why should I trust you?”

“Because you’re going to watch me kill the owner of Aperture Consulting,” replied Caddy as if he was ordering fries at a restaurant drive-through window.

Miller looked deeply into Caddy’s eyes and examined the man who stood before him. He looked as deeply into his soul as Caddy would allow him. He had no doubt Caddy aimed to kill the man and wouldn’t stop until he did.

“Finish up your dinner” commanded Miller. Caddy watched him go to a side door, open it and have someone hand him a glass of tea and a small plate.

“Here. There’s the tea I promised. Looks like cherry pie was also on the menu. You want seconds?” asked Miller pointing at the empty dinner plate.

Shaking his head Caddy had to wonder where he stood. The man could kill him just as easy as anything. That would ensure Caddy wouldn’t become a problem. Maybe worse yet, they might send him packing. Caddy was rugged and resourceful, but the thought of living off the land didn’t excite him.

“Listen Caddy. Get some sleep. There’s a head over there. If you decide you want more food just knock on the door. Someone will answer it and get you what you need. We’ll have some new clothes for you in the morning and whatever gear you had with you will be returned.”

Surprising even himself, Caddy quipped, “So, did I get the job?”

Smiling Miller said, “we have a few more interviews. You’ll hear from HR in a week.”

As Julie finished up her work for the day she prepared to go home. It was a short drive back to her apartment where she’d likely spend the evening alone trying to read a book by candlelight.

She’d worked for City Hall for a long time, since she got out of high-school really. She started out as a clerk and ultimately ended up as the receptionist/secretary/office manager all in one. She’d seen mayors come and go over the years and, in the recent past a Sheriff and previous group of contractors disappear.

Julie was like a lot of pretty girls who grew up in small towns. After she graduated high school she really had three choices. She could find a man and start pumping out babies, which held little interest for her. She could leave town and make a life for herself somewhere with opportunity and excitement. Caring for her sick mother and father put an end to those dreams. So she took what was behind door number three: stay and carve out her own life.

Being a pretty young woman in a small town isn’t as easy as it might appear. All the fat, dumb and drunk rednecks tried to date her, while the middle-aged married men made crude passes at her. There wasn’t a stock of men one would consider marriage material floating around Shelton.

Her life changed when the Army troops came to town after the trouble in the North started. She thought the funny Sergeant who started giving her a lot of attention would be just another one in a long line of jerks interested in getting her in bed. But it soon became clear he was a hardworking, decent man who just wanted to do what was right.

It wasn’t hard to let little bits of information slip to Lowry at first. Then it became clear he was digging for more. Briefly she was afraid he was just using her in a different way.

When the Army unit moved out and she didn’t hear from him for a while she figured it was just a passing thing she dejectedly let it drop.

She’d just about written the whole thing off when Miller approached her at the lunch counter. All it took was one mention of Lowry’s name and she was hooked. She did everything Miller asked and reveled in the chance to help their cause.

Julie wasn’t all that concerned with being part of a resistance, or fighting injustice or anything noble. It was a chance at a little excitement in her life and to help a man for whom she developed feelings.

“Good night Mr. Werner. Did you need anything else?” she asked.

Werner looked up from his desk. “Did you get the staffing report done?”

“Yes sir, in your inbox” she replied.

“Very well. Good night.” He said as he resumed scanning whatever paperwork he was reading.