Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Meat Run

For the Love of Cats

Meat Run

The time has come once again for my annual 'meat run'. This is that special time of year, usually around rememberence day, that the seasons collide.

A buddy and I will be heading out tonight, and start hunting tomorrow; for three days we have both Archery deer and muzzle loader deer open, Then they close and Rifle deer opens.

In addition, Both Upland and Migratory birds are open, Rabbits and Wild Boar are always open, and if we go for a couple hour drive, Elk is open.

Typically, this is a good week(end) for us, and *knock on wood* we'll be lucky again this year.

As I was packing up last night, I snapped some pics, and thought I'd share. First up is my carry bag... there are still a few stragglers not packed yet, but essentially here it is:

For the Love of Cats

Excuse the poor pic quality... All I had was my cell phone in a darkened room.

In addition to hunting, we often process at least a couple animals while we're out (long evenings), and for the past few years we've slaughtered a few cattle and pigs for family/friends. We have one cow and two pigs to butcher on this trip (they're hanging at a local butcher shop). For this job I bring along a few things:

And since it is sharp and pointy, I'll add this here too, although it has nothing to do with butchering, it is a gift from my buddy which is getting its hunting debut this weekend:

For the Love of Cats

So, now let's meet the players...

I picked up a 6.5X55 Swede last year, that has done nothing but punch holes in paper. It really wants to get out and kill something:

And of course it's with my chicken gun, my 20 Ga Mossberg

We also have my 'goto' gun, my .243 who has stepped back into a 'backup' roll for this year, followed by an SKS. My Chinese one made a great shot on a bear this fall, and now the Russian has something to prove.

And at the bottom is my Hawkin .50

Since a shoulder injury prevents me from drawing a tradional bow, I shoot a crossbow, an Excaliber to be exact:

For the Love of Cats

Then, of course we have the support team:

I had a few other boxes packed already and didn't want to pull them out again, but that'll do me for the week of hunting, and give me some play time in a couple pits.

I'll also be throwing in a .22, I just haven't decided which one yet, and as always, I'll throw in a 1/2 dozen traps.

Oh boy, Oh boy, Oh boy!!!

CC Gray Panther
    MY My ; Aren't we excited. Don't hurt yourself jumping out of bed on the day you leave. Take a deep breath and calm down there all mighty hunter.Keep that testosterone under control. Hope you bag everything you're going for. Can't have enough meat stocked up.

Aim well and shoot straight. Keep us informed of you hunt tally.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Cool, good luck to you.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Wish I was going with you because it sounds like there may be a number of targets of opportunity. Be safe, good luck and keep your powder dry!
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

For the Love of Cats

Thanks... work has been so crazy for so long... the best part is just getting out of the bustle for a while. no cell service, no internet. My bosses can't contact me for anything!

*sigh*

It is going to be an interesting year, as this is an area that underwent serious flooding this summer, and there are still huge tracts that we typically hunt that are still under 3 feet of water. Luckily we have permission in some nearby 'higher' ground areas.

And like they say... it's hunting, not killing! I'm hoping that luck is with us and we at least get something for the freezer; if not... it's always a good trip anyways. Good people, good eats, and good target practice.

cheers

Impressive.

When out on this 'meat run' get me a big salami. Thanks!

Crotch Rocket

Sounds like good times to me. I'll have to consider setting up something similar with a friend next year. Thanks! And good hunting
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!