Thread: Silver and Gold prices are dropping. Buying time?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Do you have a robot?
    When I buy silver I like the silver eagles in one ounce weights. People recognize these so I am also looking at potentially using them in barter situations but also for investment. There are a lot of people out there that say silver is too heavy to carry and I then tell them to buy gold. They tell me gold it too expensive. So they have to make up their minds what to get, I find a lot of people just want to be told what is best.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

may be in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by realist View Post
    When I buy silver I like the silver eagles in one ounce weights. People recognize these so I am also looking at potentially using them in barter situations but also for investment. There are a lot of people out there that say silver is too heavy to carry and I then tell them to buy gold. They tell me gold it too expensive. So they have to make up their minds what to get, I find a lot of people just want to be told what is best.
    My policy is to buy rounds. Rounds have the composition, purity, and weight of the round stamped on them.

Coins may or may not have all three of those values on them, and have arbitrary specie values, which has always been confusing.

The basic round sizes are 1 ozt, 1/2 ozt, 1/4 ozt, and 1/10 ozt. (ozt = ounce troy, 31.1grams)

I've stuck heavily with the ounces and have some of the fractionals for making change.

Bars tend to be much heavier. My experience has been 1 ozt, 5 ozt, 10 ozt, 1 kg ( 32 & 3/20 ozt) and 100 ozt.

By "heavier" the parties in question likely meant too much VOLUME for weight and value. Thanks, but what little gold I will ever have will be MUCH less than silver by a factor of XXXX. That and some poor schmo with worn silver will be far less of a target for theft than a guy trading in gold.

Apologies if it sounds like lecturing. I've spent the last four years trying to make up for the three years of missed chances before that in silver, with a lot of learning and admittedly mixed success.

Kesephist

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by Kesephist View Post
    My policy is to buy rounds. Rounds have the composition, purity, and weight of the round stamped on them.

Coins may or may not have all three of those values on them, and have arbitrary specie values, which has always been confusing.

^^This
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

I've used Scottsdale in the past with pretty good results.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

may be in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by izzyscout21 View Post
    I've used Scottsdale in the past with pretty good results.
    Bit pricy, but their Omnia and Reserve 1 ozt rounds and their basic 1 ozt house bar are very very good for the money.

Best ag for the FRN I've had is Monarch Precious Metals ( http://www.monarchpreciousmetals.com/ )

Supposedly, all the dimwits that can't get along w/o their cell have, in their hands, an ounce of silver that in the traces and solder joints of the cell.

Best chuckle about silver I've had since I got into it.

A post-SHTF entrepreneur with patience will make a fortune out of scavenging the batteries and silver out of all those abandoned cells. Gang enough of the batteries together and you get a decent storage cell.

Kesephist

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    Quote Originally Posted by realist View Post
    I agree, and would buy the silver Eagles exclusively, but except for the fact the pressed bars are $2-3 less. For that standpoint, I am buying bars more than coins.