Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tips on controlling Japanese beetles, please.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    Stig, Eagle, I hope you guys are accurate with the CWIS and Napalm. My house is toast if not!
    In every war there is collateral damage.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Where's the epi?

This has been our problem for the past 2 years in our apple orchard. We have 1000 trees and the Jap beetles have been killing us. Our neighbor has spread chicken manure which they love to lay their eggs so of course when they hatch they search for food.....our apples. Nothing has killed them for any length of time. It sucks.

I'll most likely shit myself

Roast duck = OK, Roast BP = not OK

CC Gray Panther
    Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    Roast duck = OK, Roast BP = not OK
    We love ya' brother! We got your 6.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Quote Originally Posted by Evolver View Post
    LOL I'm telling you there has been many of times that I would have welcomed the NAPALM blast in our garden... I can't even tell you how bad I just wanted to blow all these fucken bugs to hell... Just as I found a good control for the bugs I had I get the MOTHER OF ALL BUGS... NEMATODES!!!!! GRRRRRRRRR!!!!! )*%^%#$ On second thought... Bring on the Napalm.
    I'm tellin ya, Nuke 'em from orbit! It's the only way to be sure! After all it worked on the face-hugger bugs.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

CC Gray Panther
    Relax guys and gals. Stig and I have it under control. We like to think amount needed in Tons because we like that word.
    We go on the Big Bang theory. It'll be a controlled burn without all the fancy gadgets of today's world.
    Stig and I believe in doing it the old fashioned way.

A wet finger in the air to determine wind direction and we're good to light up the day. So everyone can rest easy ; sleep secure in the knowledge that we got ya'll covered.

AIRBORNE!!!

Where's the epi?

Ok guys, a really serious question was asked here...can we get back to a serious answer? I know firsthand the damage these things do and would love to have help with destroying them. I READ in Mother Earth recently that if you kill the first ones you see (they are the scouts) others won't come but I have a thousand trees and it is impossible to do that. Sevin works until it rains and we get pretty good rain here. I'm at a loss.

CC Gray Panther
    Sorry Ladyhk13 ; got carried away. In all seriousness I've been over ran with them for 2 years and still haven't found anything to rid myself of them.
    I thought maybe my chicken coop wood shavings and poop compost pile might be the culprit but I'm not sure. I would love to find a way to take care of them. My computer research isn't the best but maybe I'll try again and hope for some luck.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Here are several methods of control. I find it slightly ironic (especially for Evolver) that one method uses nematodes.

Milky Spore Powder for Japanese Beetle Grub Control in Lawns & Gardens at Home Harvest Garden Supply

Nematodes Mixture H. bacteriophora, S. carpocapsae mix 1 mi

Controlling Adult Japanese Beetles in the Garden

Japanese Beetles in the Urban Landscape | University of Kentucky Entomology

Dealing with Japanese Beetles - Backyard Gardening.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/lpa/pubs/pub_phjbeetle04.pdf

One thing that each of these points out is that you can't get rid of them completely! It is an ongoing war (kind of like pocket gophers! Did I mention that I hate them?). So, these sites present a variety of control methods, but once you have them your going to be controlling them the rest of your gardening days. Apparently they are a bigger problem in the East than they are out here.

I'll go stand in the corner for 10 minutes now Lady. * hangs head in shame while walking to the corner*
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Where's the epi?

Thank you Grumpy...please don't forget the pointy hat
    I apologize for nothing...