Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tricks you can do in the garden

nice setup, when I get some free time, I would like to build a vertical wall of herbs. I get sick of being on my knees when gardening. and I hate pulling weeds out of the garden bed. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Taz Baby View Post
    Last edited by Metrocruiser; 12-20-2012 at 01:46 AM.

I'll most likely shit myself

IW , do you move your location every year? I do to try and keep down disease and bugs. I may try a section or two and see how much trouble it would be to move. I could burrow it using a tater plow. Good idea the more i think about it.

hi 4such,

in regards to the wall garden, I was planning to build 3 levels along a 6'x30' foot fence facing sww. just using about 60 to 70x1 gal pots 90 feet of 2"x8"s and 90* brackets and white corplast to deflect the sun shining directly on the black pots. was thinking to water with irrigation hose "T"s off the garden hose manually hooked up to the faucet. was gonna do it last year but we were pretty busy and i let the inlaws tend the garden. thinking to do it this year to increase garden size and yields. we love lettuces, bok choy, spinach, and all the root veggies for borscht soup. We have another span of fence about 90 feet facing north that is between our house and the neigbours, we were thinking to cover it up a bit and try some ginseng. There is already ferns growing there so it could be an ideal location for a challenging plant.

Id love to see some pics of the colony gardens

For the Love of Cats

Necro-post to the extreme!

my wife is always bugging me to plant celery, and I can never seem to find heirloom seeds... and then I remembered this thread, and something Taz had posted and I forgot.

Dicing up some veggies for a soup and was just about toss the end in the composter when I remembered this thread.

Butt end of a celery bunch:

trim off the dead:

Notch it for water transfer:

'planted':

And the one I started a week ago, when I had the epiphany moment, ready to plant:

Thanks Taz!!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

For the Love of Cats

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    Taz I like that stand. I think I may have to build me one of those this winter. I'm bettin that would make a great stand for some herbs and greens.

OS, I do something very similar with my maters. I'll dig a hole deep about 12" deep and bury the plant up to the top 4 leaves and place a 14" PVC pipe in the hole with the plant. When they need watering, I take a 2L coke bottle full and turn it up in the pipe. It puts the water directly to the roots and there is little to no evaporation. Makes it easy to mix up some liquid fertilizer and apply it to the roots as well.
    bp... still doing this? pics?

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

For the Love of Cats

We have a lot of new members... and it is garden season. I will be posting more pics of some new setups I have... let's see yours, and hear results of those gone by...

I'll most likely shit myself

T, I did not do the pipe trick this year. It does work, but I entended to install a drip system. Circumstances hasn't let that happen yet.
    I have been working for a lady on a raised bed and have installed a drip system in it. I am very impressed with how it functions. Downside, trying to learn how much water to put to certain plants.
    Never done much with raised beds before either. I am amazed at how quickly they dry out around here. It is taking quite a lot more water to keep stuff growing. Not sure I'll transition to those fully ever.

I have still yet to grow a brain
    Thought I covered this subject already..

Water troughs, 5 gallon buckets and net cups used for self watering container garden?

Corn, radishes, dill and pumpkin taking off?

Ring any bells? Let me know if it does or doesn't.

For the Love of Cats

LOL. Yeah, you're good Vodin. But we do have other new-ish members too.

I have still yet to grow a brain
    Apologies,

On the serious side I literally I have minimal short term memory. If it is not of importance to me it is usually gone after 15 minutes. So this is why I made the statement. I guess banging your head after flying through the air might have that effect.. but if you ask me I will flat out deny it.

Thank you Sniper-T