Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basic Expedient Shelters

Original Shack Daddy

Solo hunting trip into the Gospel Hump Wilderness.

Crotch Rocket

Very nice! My opener has paled in comparison I particularly like the set up on the summer shelter.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I'll most likely shit myself

Very good shelters. I really like the variation to the ideas. Many good ones to start with.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Quote Originally Posted by chicom View Post
    Summer

Winter (taken under construction, since been completed.)

That's awesome, looks like where a viking would sleep. lol

Premium Member

We ran in to one out in the woods last weekend during our cold weather gear test weekend.

Who ever did it made a nice one, kinda a mini version of the log shelter Chicom built.

In his experience the hammer head is better

I like the ideas posted. The summer picture that was posted is nice, but It will not block wind coming from any direction. The reason I bring this up I recently did a winter bugout and used only a tarp shelter and my US military sleep system. I used a diamond fly tarp shelter and will use this from now on. I personally set it up in a small dugout so I had earthen wall around me as wind blocks and the tarp came down to the ground. We had single digit temps and 30mph winds with 50mph gusts. This shelter kept the wind and snow blocked from me and didnt even loosen up throughout the night. I was very happy with this set up.

About halfway down the page
    Tarp Shelters - Autonopedia

I like tarps as they are light weight and I can get camo or other subdued colors compared to many tents. Its quick to tear down if I need to get out fast. Hell you can get a multi cam basha if you want to spend the money.

Also one thing I learned is that if you completely cover your face in your sleeping bag you will wake up with lots of condensation. Then you run the risk of your bag not drying out and insulation being degraded. I uncover my face and wear a face mask and a hat. I was very comfortable during the winds and cold weather.

Quote Originally Posted by apssbc View Post
    I like the ideas posted. The summer picture that was posted is nice, but It will not block wind coming from any direction. The reason I bring this up I recently did a winter bugout and used only a tarp shelter and my US military sleep system. I used a diamond fly tarp shelter and will use this from now on. I personally set it up in a small dugout so I had earthen wall around me as wind blocks and the tarp came down to the ground. We had single digit temps and 30mph winds with 50mph gusts. This shelter kept the wind and snow blocked from me and didnt even loosen up throughout the night. I was very happy with this set up.

I like tarps as they are light weight and I can get camo or other subdued colors compared to many tents. Its quick to tear down if I need to get out fast. Hell you can get a multi cam basha if you want to spend the money.

Also one thing I learned is that if you completely cover your face in your sleeping bag you will wake up with lots of condensation. Then you run the risk of your bag not drying out and insulation being degraded. I uncover my face and wear a face mask and a hat. I was very comfortable during the winds and cold weather.
    I like the tarp shelters too for a quick set up and take down. It is good to practice multiple shelter types as you never know what your surroundings and available items might be. I spent an unexpected night in the woods during a Search and Rescue call out and two tarps a pole and a carabiner made for a cozy spot. It's nice because you can role pegs,rope,carabiner for door and anything else inside it and strap it to your bag.

Quote Originally Posted by apssbc View Post

I like the tarp shelters too for a quick set up and take down. It is good to practice multiple shelter types as you never know what your surroundings and available items might be. I spent an unexpected night in the woods during a Search and Rescue call out and two tarps a pole and a carabiner made for a cozy spot. It's nice because you can role pegs,rope,carabiner for door and anything else inside it and strap it to your bag.

For the Love of Cats

I don't even like the idea of digging a hole and sleeping in it. While I can understand the natural windblock aspect. holes collect water. tarp over the top, and condensation will form, water runs downhill. Nope, don't like it.

I'll have to dig around see if I have any winter camping pictures around. We often make a tarp shelter over tree branch frames... or make igloos or quinzees, as conditions permit.