Thread: Bag Fail

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator

Bag Fail

I took my SUV into the shop this morning to get some routine maintenance done. Because this task was going to take several hours I decided to load up my EDC bag with my gym essentials along with my mac book pro and plug and make the 2.10 mile walk to the local YMCA. My EDC bag is a Condor Urban assault pack. It normally only carries my Mac and some office/computer supplies. With all the gym gear, plus my computer, added 14lbs to the bag and made it bulge considerably. I thought I did a very decent job packing so it wasn't just "thrown" in there.

So after a few hours I get the call from the shop and start the 2.10 mile journey back. On the way back I decided to run the last mile to see how the bag would handle. I buckled the chest strap, Cinched up the main straps high like I did in basic training I took off. I wasn't the Flash by any means (10:36min mile). The bag sat comfortably on my back even with no waist strap.

So as I am taking my bag off and throwing it in the trunk, I noticed the main compartment of my bag halfway open with my gym shirt hanging out. If I would have ran any faster or further my gym gear would have been all over the road. I immediately thought "what if I was running from some thugs or evading the zombies with this bag?" My much heavier survival gear would have been definitely been scattered all over the road and lost.

So much for "tactical". This bag was going to be used as a secondary bob for ammo but, this bag will be retired to forever hold my macbook. After today's little test, I'm taking the General's BOB and my BOB on a road test when I take leave next month.

Moral of the story: TEST YOUR GEAR!

EDIT:
    I noticed nothing out of the ordinary. I originally thought I busted the zipper open but when I took some of the gear out of the bag to air out I zipped the bag back up with no problems. I think with the pack bulging, it just opened on its own.

As far as securing the zippers up prior to running...I rather have a bag that didn't require it.

[IMG] bagfail2 by alika2die4, on Flickr[/IMG]

Crap that was in the main compartment:

bagfail by alika2die4, on Flickr
    Last edited by 2die4; 08-24-2012 at 02:25 AM.