Thread: June Bug Out Exercise - Reviews and Observations

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Crotch Rocket

The tent itself is a Eureka Solitaire. A single person, non-freestanding backpacking tent. Its specs are listed in the provided link. At 5'7" it had enough room for me to inflate my sleeping mat, lay out my USGI MSS, and fully stretch out to sleep, with enough room to spare for my boots at the head of the tent, and my rifle/ warbelt and some small items laid out alongside me. It got significantly more cramped when I pulled my pack in behind me, but I still slept in relative comfort - and for a long time, but I'll get to that.

The attached rain fly has shock cord loops which attach to the tent stakes, and it covers the tent in its entirity. I didn't use the rear guy line so I could manipulate it from inside the tent, which worked well with the heat. The mesh and zippers were also excellent against stopping the mosquito army mounting regular assaults against me. My deep woods wipes did a fair job, they barely came after me, but my fleeting guests bitched continuously about getting eaten up. Score for a great product there!

Before I forget, I used my counterfeit WWII machete that is apparently a high carbon steel for gathering my foliage and clearing routes through stinging nettles.

I refinished it with deep forest green krylon and the cord wrap handle after stripping it of rust and a loose handle. Too bad I neglected sharpening it!
    Last edited by mitunnelrat; 06-06-2011 at 02:00 PM.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!