PDA

View Full Version : Back Up Transportation

Kodiak
03-25-2011, 11:33 AM
Myself and LUNCHBOX had one of our regular SHTF talks at work last night and came across something that i hadnt given much thought about. In the event your vehicles are out of commision and you need to bug out, what other avenues of transportation do you have on hand other than walking?

If your like me you have way more gear/supplies than you can carry on your back and factor in the family, your payload is at a bare minimum. One idea i came up with was a trike (the ones with pedals) and a wagon to pull behind. That would give me much more payload capacity. I know i would be confined to roadways, but im thinking of an early SHTF situation where the threat of violence would be minimal.

(This is an "EMP" type event where motorized vehicles are out of order.)

Jerry D Young
03-25-2011, 06:33 PM
It would be by foot for me, with a game cart for the equipment and supplies.

bacpacker
03-25-2011, 06:36 PM
Good question. The only thing I have that would help is a old Duetz german 2 cylinder tractor and a 16' trailer. Good point weight would not be a factor or terrian. But speed would a huge disanvantage.

TEOTWAWKI13
03-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Well, initially it would've been my mountain bike, but that got stolen, so I have to replace it ASAP. I want to get a game cart type rig as well. I'll call it a garden cart though so the wife don't get all nuts. And if I can commandeer the Craftsman lawn mower from the parents for my trip to Chattanooga, I could potentially use that as well. :) I'd be the one wearing the beer helmet.

izzyscout21
03-26-2011, 01:59 AM
I guess I'm gonna have to hoof it.

LUNCHBOX
03-26-2011, 03:37 AM
I pictured Kodiak on this tribe and it cracks me up (6' 6" and 360 lbs) I just hope he has an orange flag on a whip...lol. As for the question, we have horses but I don't want to depend on them. Let's hope its not emp.

cwconnertx
03-28-2011, 03:25 AM
I really plan to get a dual sport motorcycle. The problem of fuel is of course the main issue.

I suppose the next best option would have to be a game cart.

beginner
03-29-2011, 05:18 AM
I'm buggin in. If things get bad enough where I have to bug out, I'm sure I'll be able to find something. FYI, if I WERE to bug out, it's an 8-10 hour drive trough the Rockies. So, walking won't happen.....

ghowe1
06-29-2011, 06:50 PM
Used mountain bikes are everywhere. Well priced new ones can be had at places like walmart. A cart behind is an excellent idea. I originally had kept an old 83 Jimmy for the post EMP era, but ditched it on the premise that I wouldn't be able to get good gas for long enough to make keeping it up worth while. Bike or walk. If you have to relocate, try to get near a body of water.

TroubleShooter
07-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Have often wondered about the benefit of hotair balloon knowledge.........Both as a mode of travel and as a mode of observing your AO...

bacpacker
07-08-2011, 09:15 PM
Have often wondered about the benefit of hotair balloon knowledge.........Both as a mode of travel and as a mode of observing your AO...

They would be nice, right now. Thinkin back to the civil war and WW1, probably not so much in bad times when weapons are abundant.

beginner
07-09-2011, 07:27 AM
They would be nice, right now. Thinkin back to the civil war and WW1, probably not so much in bad times when weapons are abundant.
Unless you want to send up an empty one to distract and draw out your enemies.

bacpacker
07-09-2011, 03:09 PM
After more thought, why not use small ballons and send up video camera's for Recon. Sort of a poor mans drone, just not the mobility.

Stg1swret
07-09-2011, 09:30 PM
You would need to have a ready supply of helium , or other lighter then air gass to inflate those balloons.

mitunnelrat
07-09-2011, 09:38 PM
After more thought, why not use small ballons and send up video camera's for Recon. Sort of a poor mans drone, just not the mobility.

MIght be better off buying some RC helicopters or something for that though, I think you'd have better control over the direction its facing...

DisasterGuy
10-12-2011, 03:37 AM
This isn't for everyone -- but a canoe or rowboat holds a lot of gear. French voyageurs carried goods to trade to the Indians in a whopping big canoe. Trouble with a rowboat is that you row facing backward. Trouble with a canoe is that it's tippy. But either will get you up or down the river or across the lake. My Indian ancestors used both as their highways.

Stormfeather
10-12-2011, 04:16 AM
This isn't for everyone -- but a canoe or rowboat holds a lot of gear. French voyageurs carried goods to trade to the Indians in a whopping big canoe. Trouble with a rowboat is that you row facing backward. Trouble with a canoe is that it's tippy. But either will get you up or down the river or across the lake. My Indian ancestors used both as their highways.

Simple solution to this is multiple kayaks tethered together to for a catamaran style boat. Ive got the rigging set up for multiple kayaks to make them into a cat style boat if need be. Im sure a simple welding solution could be welded up for some canoes as well.

Stormfeather
10-12-2011, 04:22 AM
Ive got multiple options available. BUT, my primary goal is to bug in versus bug out.

1- Mountain bikes with game carts
2- horses nearby
3- Kayaks due to my proximity to water
4- I also have a couple of old 1970's harleys that would only need to be push started in case of EMP.
5- If all else fails, all these years in the Infantry, well, lets just say im used to humping around with a heavy pack, so im no stranger to it.

izzyscout21
10-13-2011, 12:33 PM
Back up would prolly end up being a bikle for me, downside is that I can't carry as much crap with me.

Stormy hit the nail on the head.......my ultimate backup are these size 11's.

bacpacker
10-13-2011, 01:51 PM
Izzy I want to see you load a bike up with the stuff in your car. That would a picture worth taking
:)

Dropy
10-14-2011, 01:13 AM
izzy i want to see you load a bike up with the stuff in your car. That would a picture worth taking

lol.

dragon5126
10-14-2011, 06:34 AM
one word, TRAILER

dragon5126
10-14-2011, 06:36 AM
You would need to have a ready supply of helium , or other lighter then air gass to inflate those balloons.

HOT AIR... a fuel tab, som sterno, bean farts,,,

izzyscout21
10-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Izzy I want to see you load a bike up with the stuff in your car. That would a picture worth taking

don't tempt me, I'll try it! propeller hat and all.

Kodiak
10-15-2011, 05:25 AM

LOL! He would be so top heavy he would have to put training wheels on the bike to keep from toppling over.

Stormfeather
10-15-2011, 05:49 AM

Gotta see pics of the propeller hat or it didnt happen!

Sniper-T
10-15-2011, 02:58 PM
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c361/herefortheparty03/785256025.jpg

mollypup
10-15-2011, 03:46 PM
We plan on bugging in. If we absolutely had to leave I guess we would either ride bikes or walk. I make my husband keep a foot powered Razor scooter with big wheels (for adults) in the trunk of his car because if he got stuck at work (50 miles away) he'd probably have to walk home. At least with the scooter he could ride downhill some of the way and make better time getting back home. He said he doesn't want a collapsible bicycle but prefers the scooter instead.

bacpacker
10-16-2011, 02:00 AM

Izzy it would take at least 2 trailers to haul all that stuff.

Of course if SHTF you have about anything you need.

izzyscout21
10-16-2011, 11:12 AM
Izzy it would take at least 2 trailers to haul all that stuff.

Of course if SHTF you have about anything you need.

True...I'm actually tring to trim it down now. I mean, realistically should I need to ditch the car, I'm not carrying 2500 rounds of ammo. I'd have to leave a bunch of it.......and the extra shotgun.......and the tents..........stoves...........fuel.............. ....toilet paper.................inflatable raft..........just seems like too much left behind...........

Kodiak
10-16-2011, 08:46 PM
True...I'm actually tring to trim it down now. I mean, realistically should I need to ditch the car, I'm not carrying 2500 rounds of ammo. I'd have to leave a bunch of it.......and the extra shotgun.......and the tents..........stoves...........fuel.............. ....toilet paper.................inflatable raft..........just seems like too much left behind...........

Yep i agree Izzy, better to have that gear at home to use and just have enough on hand to get you there.

faster
10-16-2011, 10:03 PM
forget the shotgun and lots of centerfire ammo. Stash a bit of rifle ammo at the chosen retreat area, along with the food and gear, and a lot of .22lr ammo. If you have to haul more than you can on a bike, it's cause you are too lazy to bury drums of stuff at the proper site. Do it at night, without showing a light, hiding the excavated dirt and concealing the hole, of course. make only one such hole per 1/2 mile, arranging the drums in a circle, so you need not go far to access any one of them

LUNCHBOX
10-17-2011, 12:02 AM

Izzy, I think it would be easier if I just found you a 5-ton. At least then you would only have to make 2 trips....lol.

bacpacker
10-17-2011, 12:27 AM
LB, a semi may be a better option for Izzy. Lets see 40 tons. That may not be enough though. Of course he could go with a tandem trailer.

izzyscout21
10-17-2011, 12:26 PM
LB, a semi may be a better option for Izzy. Lets see 40 tons. That may not be enough though. Of course he could go with a tandem trailer.

Lunchbox, new task:

I need a semi. Need enough room for the self inflating Navy seal life vest I found.:)

In all seriousness, though, I am trimming the fat. I am in the process on evaluating what I REALLY need to keep with me. So far, down to my assault pack, pistol, AR, and PC. I don't care what anyone says.......that rifle is never very far away. I work far enough away from home that I might find it useful. BUt anyway, that's off topioc. I'll discuss that in another thread.

As of now, I'm tryin to make my car the most effective it can be and my load light enough that I can actually carry it should I need to ditch the car. Just by cleaning out the car, I've found more tactical and survival gear than I knew I had stashed. Even found that Pygmy Goat I bought last year...........don't think he's gonna be real effective any more though.

bacpacker
10-17-2011, 01:55 PM
Izzy I'll wager you see an increase in fuel milage. Not sure what you'll do with the goat??

Stormfeather
10-17-2011, 05:51 PM
Hey, is the goat still alive? If so, i'll give ya $5.00 for it!

izzyscout21
10-17-2011, 06:33 PM
Izzy I'll wager you see an increase in fuel milage. Not sure what you'll do with the goat??

at this pioint I think I'll bury him...LOL;)

izzyscout21
10-17-2011, 06:34 PM
Hey, is the goat still alive? If so, i'll give ya $5.00 for it!

How bout $2.50 for the hide.......

Stormfeather
10-17-2011, 07:39 PM
Can I at least make a pair of slippers out of the hide?

Stormfeather
10-17-2011, 07:56 PM
forget the shotgun and lots of centerfire ammo. Stash a bit of rifle ammo at the chosen retreat area, along with the food and gear, and a lot of .22lr ammo. If you have to haul more than you can on a bike, it's cause you are too lazy to bury drums of stuff at the proper site. Do it at night, without showing a light, hiding the excavated dirt and concealing the hole, of course. make only one such hole per 1/2 mile, arranging the drums in a circle, so you need not go far to access any one of them

Im starting to sense a troll in the midst

izzyscout21
10-18-2011, 12:19 AM
Can I at least make a pair of slippers out of the hide?

looks like it