PDA

View Full Version : Small Scale SHTF Events

The Stig
03-11-2012, 11:28 PM
What sort of small scale SHTF events do you think people overlook?

For example, I'm amazed at the number of people who don't have a fire extinguisher in their homes. We have three and even with that I don't feel its enough.

I know people who keep zero road side emergency kits in their vehicles.

Hell, I know people with washing machines on the second floor and no ability to get water out of the room should the thing burst.

So.....what sort of other minor disasters do people not think about, let alone prepare for?

mitunnelrat
03-11-2012, 11:33 PM
The roadside emergency kit having a fire extinguisher. Not being facetious at all, I just thought of it because I need to replace mine. I haven't personally had a car burst in flames, but I've seen how fast they can go up. I kept a small one in the cab with me until the plunger on it broke. Now I'm thinking a small one up front and a larger one in the rear.

LUNCHBOX
03-12-2012, 04:16 AM
A back up sump pump for the basement. With the amounts of rain we've been getting it would only be a short time for water to collect if it went out.

Having a flashlight handy (I know we all have them but is it close?) the power goes out and it gets a little darker than usual.

If you have animals....they will get out and it will be in the middle of the night. Maybe have some gear ready, lead rope, grain bucket, lights. (you really don't have to ask why this one popped in my head--lol)

Grumpy Old Man
03-16-2012, 10:49 PM
If you have animals....they will get out and it will be in the middle of the night. Maybe have some gear ready, lead rope, grain bucket, lights. (you really don't have to ask why this one popped in my head--lol)

Rawhide starring Lunchbox as Rowdy Yates, ROFLMAO.

Seriously though, water for drinking and washing when the water main breaks. Bandaids in your wallet for when you cut yourself.

LUNCHBOX
03-17-2012, 01:13 AM
I made that animal comment due to the first time (a week ago) I let the calves out one got spooked and went through/over the fence. Of course then the wifes hunter-jumper (the witch) went after him and a few laps later he's back through/over the fence. He let out this cute little moo that sounded like one of Grumpy's "WTF!!"

msomnipotent
03-19-2012, 03:39 PM
Our municipal water was unfit for drinking twice. It was nearly impossible to buy bottled water after just a few hours, both times. You would think people would have thought to put some back after the first time.

I have also noticed a lot of people do not keep spare tires in their trunk anymore, and forget about tools. It is much easier to just call a tow truck, except when you have to wait hours for a tow because you are stuck during a storm and there are no diapers or snacks in the car.

wingnutx
03-21-2012, 07:03 AM
Gasoline shortage. The single supply line into Phoenix broke a few years ago, so it all had to be trucked in. It was a real bear finding stations that had any, and lines were long. I saw guns drawn to cut in front on one occasion.

Now I keep some gas handy, and try to keep tanks topped off.

Water is a huge one here. I figure that it's prudent to keep some water on hand since I live in a fiery death trap.

carly
04-03-2012, 01:50 PM
I have noticed that in my area people forget to keep basic items for quick home repair. We get a lot of thunderstorms. The kind that only last 15 minutes, but come with 60mph winds and hail. It is amazing the number of people who have to rush to the store for a tarp or plywood. Many in my neighborhood don't even have ladders.

Sniper-T
04-03-2012, 02:10 PM
The most common, and most unprepared for event around here is blizzards. They close roads, knock out hydro and telephone, etc. and for every major blizard you hear about people freezing to death in their homes, or are rescued on the verge of hypothermia and or dehydration. The day after it is sorted out, people flock to hardware stores for shovels, candles, stoves, and generators.

Then come spring, all these items are on kijiji.

The sheeple never learn!

carly
04-03-2012, 02:31 PM
The most common, and most unprepared for event around here is blizzards. They close roads, knock out hydro and telephone, etc. and for every major blizard you hear about people freezing to death in their homes, or are rescued on the verge of hypothermia and or dehydration. The day after it is sorted out, people flock to hardware stores for shovels, candles, stoves, and generators.

Then come spring, all these items are on kijiji.

The sheeple never learn!

Around here we get a real snow every few years. Then we all stand outside looking at our blocked driveways and walks in bafflement. Then we look at each other, silently asking "what now"?

mitunnelrat
04-03-2012, 06:44 PM
Around here we get a real snow every few years. Then we all stand outside looking at our blocked driveways and walks in bafflement. Then we look at each other, silently asking "what now"?

Isn't that around the time some dumbass snowbird like me comes flying down the roads hollering "this ain't shit, ya'll!" ?

Sniper-T
04-03-2012, 06:50 PM
What now??

why, this, of course:

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/0303121019b.jpg

Or even better...

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/Bungie%202012/0218121247c.jpg

carly
04-03-2012, 11:29 PM
Isn't that around the time some dumbass snowbird like me comes flying down the roads hollering "this ain't shit, ya'll!" ?

Was that you?:)

bacpacker
04-03-2012, 11:38 PM
If it wan't, it was probably one of my in laws.

carly
04-03-2012, 11:45 PM
What now??

why, this, of course:

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/0303121019b.jpg

Or even better...

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/Bungie%202012/0218121247c.jpg

What are those things?

Sniper-T
04-04-2012, 01:35 AM
we call them `snow-toys`

along with these:

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh516/llm0748/028.jpg

mitunnelrat
04-06-2012, 08:53 PM
LOL! Wasn't me, so it must have been one of bp's inlaws!

T, snow toys are cool, its just too bad we don't get as much use out of them here. Seems like lots of guys load up on the snow train and go north now... more into your area.

Sniper-T
04-06-2012, 09:25 PM
We had an epically horrible year for snow. For the most part we had to trailer north to find enough. Typically, I should have 3-5 feet in my yard right now, yet I just finished cutting my grass! :eek:

mitunnelrat
04-07-2012, 12:52 AM
We're cutting grass here already too.

Oh well, at least we have those 4 wheelers to play on, right?

Sniper-T
04-07-2012, 05:57 AM
yep! Be taking the plow off mine tomorrow, and putting the gun boot back on. season opens in a few weeks.

Sniper-T
04-07-2012, 06:01 AM
On a serious note though... I have a wildfire burning 3 miles from my house. Field, bush, and a couple yards. so far they've held it back from the houses. The wind is in a favourable direction for me, but It will still be a long night on fire watch.

There is presently over 1000 acres burning.

:(

Sniper-T
04-09-2012, 11:21 AM
Well, that ended favourably. The firefighters kept it contained despite some high wnds. no houses or other structures were lost, just bush, fields and pasture land. in total about 2000 acres burnt. All because some numb nut decided to burn leaves in the wind!

:roll: