PDA

View Full Version : Important warning!!

Sniper-T
03-27-2012, 11:18 AM
received via email:

Kids are putting Drano, tin foil, and a little water in plastic drink bottles and capping it up - leaving it on lawns, in mail boxes, in gardens,
on driveways etc. just waiting for you to pick it up intending to put it in the rubbish, but you'll never make it!!!

If the bottle is picked up, and the bottle is shaken even just a little - in about 30 seconds or less it builds up enough gas which then explodes
with enough force to remove some of your extremities. The liquid that comes out is boiling hot as well.

Don't pick up any plastic bottles that may be lying in your yards or in the gutter, etc.

Pay attention to this. A plastic bottle with a cap. A little Drano. A little water.
A small piece of foil. Disturb it by moving it; and BOOM!!

No fingers left and other serious effects to your face, eyes, etc.

Please ensure that everyone that may not have email access are also informed of this.

For verification and more information, click on: http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/bottlebomb

url change??? try this:

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/bottlebomb.asp

LUNCHBOX
03-27-2012, 12:07 PM
I heard something about this in a blotter. Thanks for the post Sniper.

izzyscout21
03-27-2012, 02:10 PM
This was a big problem for our area a year or so ago. Kids without parental supervision are punks.

TroubleShooter
03-27-2012, 02:56 PM
They arrested 4 Middletown Ohio for this last week....

Four arrested after Drano bombs found (http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/crime/four-arrested-after-drano-bombs-found-1347441.html)

“It can be strong enough to take an officer’s fingers off if it’s in the hand,” Grimes said. “It’s an acid, so you’d have chemical burns.”

Grimes said if someone finds a chemical bomb, they should back away and call police. He said movement can spur a chemical reaction with the ability for dangerous explosions of a 15-foot radius.

realist
03-27-2012, 04:55 PM
The good thing about this is that most of the time the reaction is quick and it blows up. These are not as temperature dependent as dry ice bombs. One important thing is that when these things blow up the property owner normally come out to throw away the trash left behind. Since it is a caustic they can receive chemical burns from the residue left behind, so be aware of the this danger should you become a victim.

Taz Baby
03-27-2012, 10:18 PM
sniper that link won't open for me. Is there a trick to it or is it that I have been up since 4am and am tired?

Sniper-T
03-27-2012, 10:22 PM
try the other one Taz

Taz Baby
03-27-2012, 10:23 PM
ditto Thanks

mitunnelrat
03-27-2012, 10:45 PM
So... Plastic bottle in my yard, punt that bitch like a football, back up, and see what happens.

In the mailbox, whip it across the road into the farm field and take cover!

Right?

Twitchy
03-27-2012, 11:07 PM
Darn it MTR, you didn't warn us that this was going to be a Pepsi spewing laughter post! ;)

in all seriousness, these are nasty Mothers... never personally seen one but its essentially a pressurized acid bomb, except i believe that the Drano is Sodium Hydroxide... If you get it on your hands, you will not feel pain until it is too late...

Sniper-T
03-27-2012, 11:25 PM
yep, MTR... that's exactly what you do... if you want to hobble on crutches and have your wife open ketchup bottles for you for the rest of your life!

Me, I'd hightail it back to the house and grab a camera and a .22! Let the show begin.

would drano, in itself eat through a 2 liter bottle? could some foil be added to the bottle, without allowing it to touch the drano. could this be set up as a defensive system, which is safe, unless tipped over? ie drano in first, shove some tinfoil in, but keep a tail out, that you secure by screwing the cap on. stand the bottle 20-30 feet ahead of the trigger, and have a trip wire running back and across the path. someone trips it. reaction starts, they get close, they regret trespassing?

I AM NOT ADVOCATING DOING ANYTHING LIKE THIS, AS UNDER OUR CURRENT LAWS IT WOULD BE ILLEGAL!!! AND IT WOULD BE DANGEROUS!!! DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!!

I am however, hypothesizing if there could be a practical value to this knowledge.

Further, what would happen in a glass or steel container?

MODS!!! If this post goes beyond acceptable boundaries, please delete, and chastise gently... I know it is pushing it!

mitunnelrat
03-27-2012, 11:27 PM
Now why would I warn you? lol

Taz Baby
03-27-2012, 11:29 PM
OH NO YOU DIDN"T !!!!!!!!!!!Sniper you know better. If they come get you , I don't know you OK? You are a hermit.

Sniper-T
03-27-2012, 11:39 PM
I am as close to being a hermit as I can be with a day job. On Friday, when I win the lottery, my transformation to hermitville will be complete!

mwahahahaha

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u328/icecreamtastesgood1/hermit.png

Oh... wait... that's... meh, nevermind, that works too.

lol

mitunnelrat
03-27-2012, 11:42 PM
Sniper, I'm not going to worry about deleting it, but I think this discussion is better left as a warning against the reality of what some folks are doing with them.

The line between that reality and the hypothetical is very thin, and its my opinion there really is little to no practical value for such a device.

And now, back to my regularly practiced smartassery:

There's a time delay for the reaction to occur, I feel pretty certain I could get my hand clear in time :D

Sniper-T
03-27-2012, 11:48 PM
That is true (time delay)... but would that not be dependant on the amount of drano, the amount of foil, the compactedness of the foil (a tighter ball would allow less contact), and when it was left??

These are all, IMO, variables that you do not know, if you were to stumble across one.

No?

rentprop1
03-28-2012, 04:03 AM
aren't they doing the same sort of thing with foil and " the Works toilet bowl cleaner " ?

Twitchy
03-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Same exact thing actually rentprop... they are essentially the same substances...

TroubleShooter
03-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Well...............Back during my younger years...I know that it will melt plastic before exploding, thus our idea of mason jars. Once a 22 bullet made contact after a couple minutes the resulting pop was wicked.....We never left one , so I don't know if the pressure would have been enough pop the glass................We moved on to hot full cans of beer and spray paint cans....................I bet that farm pond is one heck of a source for lead.