PDA

View Full Version : JetBoil: Lil can o' AWESOME

Kutter-0311
04-29-2012, 05:02 AM
So I've been using JetBoil's (http://www.jetboil.com/) for a little over a year, and they still impress me. Like, on the level that Arsenal AK's (http://www.arsenalinc.com/usa/) impress me. I recently added the coffee press (http://shop.jetboil.com/index.php/coffee-press.html) to my pile of JB gear, and it's almost easier than using the kitchen coffee maker!

I'll admit that the JB's capabilities are pretty much limited to heating/boiling water, but that in itself is central to replenishing water supplies on the move. JB's boil water FAST, and the fuel is light and lasts a long time. The click-type igniter also helps fuel economy.

Anyone else use these?

Kodiak
04-29-2012, 08:45 AM
We've used them while camping for years now and i agree, they are awesome!

bacpacker
04-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Glad to read the post. I've been looking at these for some time now, but really didn't know much about them.

I have used 2 peak one's by Coleman for many years. 1st one was the original white gas only, the second is maybe ten years old multi fuel. I like them and they will boil 2 quarts of water in less than 4 minutes and will simmer well also. But they are heavy.

sounds like I need to look much closer at the JB's

Kutter-0311
04-29-2012, 11:04 PM
sounds like I need to look much closer at the JB's

I would. You can go to Gander Mtn and check them out, they are the same price there as they usually are online. I've actually only bought one online, and that was because it came with a bunch of extras for almost nothing. I bought 2 or 3 Flashes at Gander, as well as 2 extra Flash cups, and 2 older JB PCS's(on clearance!) I like the Flash for family ops, as you can see at a glance if the cup/contents are hot and the baby is about to maim himself. I got the couple older PCS's for use in my lightfighter and solo gear, though they need some upgrading.

bacpacker
04-29-2012, 11:35 PM
I was looking at them Friday night at Gander mtn. Bass Pro carries them to. I just never see them on sale. Guess the good stuff never goes on sale.

Kutter-0311
04-30-2012, 06:21 AM
If it's still about $100(Flash), just snag one when you can. It's the best of the species, with some earlier flaws fixed and a folding tripod stabilizer. The coffee press, pot support, and a long-handled spoon round things out very nicely.

LUNCHBOX
04-30-2012, 12:11 PM
Another plus is there are a few lightweight folding stoves (Camp3 stove. Ebay, less than $20) that uses the same fuel. As Kodiak stated....We have used Jetboils for years and can't complain. Highly recommended.

bacpacker
04-30-2012, 03:50 PM
I've been looking at these today. Seem to be several models avavilable. Any particular one any of you like? Could be for 1 or 2 folks

Kutter-0311
04-30-2012, 04:21 PM
IMO, the JB Flash PCS is the bee's knees. Early JB PCS's had some minor flaws. Other new models delete features that are better to have than have not. The Flash model is Best of Breed.

Essential shopping list:

Flash PCS
6x large fuel cans(240g?)
2x small fuel cans(100g)
Sea to Summit aluminum long-handled spoon

Nice add-ons:

coffe press
pot support
extra PCS cup(but I'd rather just get another whole PCS)

If you're cooking Mountain House in the packets for several people, set up 1 burner and rotate 2 cups for quick cooking. Each cup will boil water for 1 packet(2 cups usually) in 1-2 minutes. If you clean out MH packets, they work great for making ramen, and ramen is a great way to stretch your bug-out food budget and increase your calories with minimal weight. I think it also mixes right in to most MH to make a bigger meal. More bang for the buck is nice.

bacpacker
04-30-2012, 05:09 PM
The flash is one I liked. The other was the Sumo model. It'll do 1.8 liters at a time. Thought that might be a better deal for two folks.

Kutter-0311
04-30-2012, 05:58 PM
My issue there is that each person should, ideally, have their own PCS in their BOB. Each BOB should be minimally dependant on the other. I'd like to try the Sumo at some point, but I'm pretty sure the 1.8L isn't boil capacity. They usually mark it half way down for a boil limit to prevent boil-over(which I did the first time I tried to make coffee in my Flash. Not fun...) I doubt if many of the other accessories will work in the Sumo, at least the coffee press, which is quickly becoming a favorite now that I've got it down.

Easiest way to cook for two, if you both have a PCS, is to set up one PCS, get the water going, pull out the other PCS cup and get water in it, pull out and prep your MH packets, now your 1st 2 cups are boiling so swap PCS cups, pour and stir the first packet, reload the PCS cup for ramen, prep your ramen in a cleaned-out MH packet, now your 2nd 2 cups are boiling so switch PCS cups again, pour and stir your second packet of MH, reload this PCS cup to 3/4 full for coffee and stick the coffee press in the cover, switch PCS cups at the boil, pour your 3rd 2 cups into the ramen(let soak 3 minutes), let the 4th cup heat to ALMOST boiling(Flash temp indicator is handy here), pop your coffee grounds in and stir, let brew off heat for 10 minutes before pressing and pouring.

Now you've made 2 packets of MH, can split a packet of ramen to add to the MH or eat as a side, and coffee! You can also expand the whole cycle for as many guests as you have with minimal delay since the only thing you wait on is the 2-cup boil(1-2 minutes each). You've only started 1 can of fuel, and the only cleanup required is to thoroughly rinse your coffee grounds off the coffee gear. No washing required, you're just going to boil the stuff the next time you use it anyway.

Everything packs together really well in the Flash PCS, too. The stabilizer tripod, burner, 100g fuel can, pot support, and coffee press all fit into the Flash PCS cup, and the 240g fuel can stacks on top or bottom, being the same diameter as the PCS cup. If using the rotating system outlined above, try packing the contents of the PCS cup in a 1gal Ziploc inside the PCS cup to simplify repack and prevent parts loss while the cup is in use.

bacpacker
05-01-2012, 12:35 AM
Sounds like you've done that a couple times.

Very nice write up.

Kutter-0311
05-01-2012, 05:26 AM
LOL, some nights, Daddy has to cook. Fuck washing dishes;)

Kodiak
05-02-2012, 08:57 AM
...And remember, no matter how many beers you've had, boiling milk (especially in a Jet Boil) is a BAD idea!

Stormfeather
05-02-2012, 10:18 AM
^^^^sounds like another voice of experience talking! ^^^

bacpacker
05-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Kodiak I will jst take your word on that one. :)

Kutter-0311
05-02-2012, 05:10 PM
...And remember, no matter how many beers you've had, boiling milk (especially in a Jet Boil) is a BAD idea!

So... Trying to make my own sweetened condensed milk on my JB might be a bad idea? lol...

Grumpy Old Man
05-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Do any of you have any experience with Kelly Kettles? They are on a special at Emergency Essentials this month and I'm thinking about getting one......becaause I don't have one!

bacpacker
05-10-2012, 05:06 PM
I've been lookin at those. Seems like a sound way to cook a meal.

Sniper-T
05-10-2012, 05:17 PM

My wife loves to have hot chocolate when we camp, and since we typically cook over a fire, milk can be problematic. So I've been doing it like this...

Fill your travel cup with as much milk as you want/need; and put a pot of water on to boil. Pour your milk into a ziplock bag, and seal. when the water is hot, either add the bag to that pot, or to another and pour water in/over. It acts as a double boiler and the milk heats up without scortching. Be careful the bag doesn't rest against the side of the pot as it can melt, depending on how hot/what type the pot is.

Incidentally. this method also works well for cooking eggs in a non-mess, no cleanup way. crack a couple eggs into a bag, toss with peppers, onions, cheese, lobster, whatever. And drop into a pot of boiling water for a few minutes. open the bag, and instant omelet.

Kutter-0311
05-11-2012, 07:19 PM
That's an awesome trick, Sniper! I'm going to try that!