PDA

View Full Version : From the "Book of Formulas"

ladyhk13
08-23-2012, 06:05 AM
I bought the DH this book last year that is full of 'recipes, methods and secret processes' and thought you would enjoy some of the things that are in it and being done back in 1935. It was put out by Popular Science and really cool. So here ya go and hope you enjoy and maybe you can even use some of the old ways if shtf. Remember that these things were in 1935 so for us they may sound weird but hey, ya never know...

To stop leaks in radiators[B]
* Dilute shellac with equal parts of water (e.g. one cup of shellac and one cup of water). Pour one cup of solution into the water in the radiator.

[B]Another recipe to stop radiator leaks
* 1 oz Glycerin
5 oz Water
1/2 oz Flaxseed

Hydraulic Brake Fluid
* Hydraulic brake fluid for cars is equal parts of denatured alcohol and castor oil. According to the book, the alcohol thins the oil and acts as an anti-freeze. The castor oil lubricates the piston and is the fluid through which the pressure is transmitted.

Removing Stains
* Blood stains - remove in water with amonia or use hydrogen peroxide

* Candle drippings - remove with lard and benzol

Disinfecting Clothes This seemed to be a very important one so I am copying it exactly as written in the book:
* Clothes worn by a person suffering from or exposed to a contagious disease, or bed linen, may be disinfected previous to washing by immersion in one of the following solutions for one hour:
- A 5% dilution of the commercial solution of formaldehyde (formalin)
- A 1% solution of phenol (pure carbolic acid)
- A 1/2% solution of liquor cresolis compositus

Infected clothing may also be readily sterilized by immersing in boiling water for 10 minutes.

Woolen goods may be disinfected by immersing in water maintained at a temperature of 165 degrees F. for 20 minutes. If the goods are then carefully washed and dried, no undue shrinkage of the garments should result and the infectious agents of disease except those due to spore-forming bacteria, such as anthrax or gas gangrene, will have been destroyed.

The person who handles the infected garments should wear some form of apron to protect the clothing, and this apron should be disinfected immediately after the soiled clothes are handled. Also the hands and forearms should be thoroughly scrubbed with soap, water, annd a nail brush for 10 minutes by the clock, and thoroughly rinsed in either the phenol solution or the cresolis solution mentioned above or in a 1 to 1,000 solution of bichloride of mercury.

These precautions are necessary in order to prevent the germs on the clothes being carried to the mouth of one handling the clothes or indirectly to the mouths of others. - from Farmers Bull. 1497, U.S. Dept. Agr.

Repelling/killing roaches
*One part Borax to 3 parts finely pulverized chocolate sprinkled in places where there are roach problems. Any other food that attracts roaches can be substituted for the chocolate

Testing gold This could be useful if bartering or gold becomes a means of our monetary system should the dollar fail.
* To test and find out if jewelry is gold, brass or any other yellow metal, it can be done by touching it with a drop of strong nitric acid using a glass rod. If it is brass or yellow metal alloy or the gold has worn off revealing the yellow metal alloy the drop will form copper nitrate which shows it's appearance by a stain, coloring of the acid, and evolution of red gas. Gold, whether plated upon or solid will produce neither of those reactions.

Ok, that's enough for now. Will look through some more later. If anyone has any requests on "how to's" or how to make things the old fashioned way let me know and I'll look it up.

Stormfeather
08-23-2012, 10:50 AM
Im glad somebody is enjoying that book besides myself! As LadyHK stated, this book is awesome! Its a older book, but it can be found out there on Amazon or other book sites, definitely a MUST HAVE item for your BOL! The sheer amount of information in it makes it worth its price!

bacpacker
08-23-2012, 01:13 PM
I got that same book last fall from someone on here that recommended it. I haen't had a chance to use it yet, but there is a bunch of useful ifo in it from what I have went thru so far. It worth having on hand IMO.

Sniper-T
08-23-2012, 01:20 PM
Sounds great! does anyone have a pdf handy?

realist
08-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Ok you have tweaked my interest, so I bought the book. I got it on amazon for $2 but there was $3.50 shipping so not bad. The only thing that I do not like about this post is mixing the chocolate with the Borax, it makes it taste funny.

Sniper-T
08-23-2012, 04:23 PM
...Repelling/killing roaches
*One part Borax to 3 parts finely pulverized chocolate sprinkled in places where there are roach problems. Any other food ... can be substituted for the chocolate

try peanut butter
:)

bacpacker
08-23-2012, 04:26 PM
You got a good deal. I payed $17 for mine.

T I have not saw a pdf for it anywhere. I checked kindle before I purchased. Apparently it is just to old that no one has converted it.

realist
08-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Bacpacker I went to Amazon just to check out the book, this one is used but since it was so cheap compared to the others I jumped on it. Just lucky I guess.
Sniper do I mix the chocolate with the peanut butter or with the Borax or put them all together for desert?

Sniper-T
08-23-2012, 05:42 PM
No sense mixing chocolate with peanut butter, Reece has already perfected it.

http://www.candyblog.net/blog/item/worlds_largest_reeses_peanut_butter_cups/

realist
08-23-2012, 05:49 PM
You are right, my wife likes to make them for Christmas.

Sorry off the subject........... Ok so does anyone have any suggestions on some other books like this?

Grumpy Old Man
08-23-2012, 07:27 PM
Try "The way Things Work"

http://books.google.com/books/about/The_Way_things_work.html?id=WOtCAAAAIAAJ

http://www.amazon.com/The-Way-Things-Work-Encyclopedia/dp/0000913154

ladyhk13
08-23-2012, 10:48 PM
If any others are looking to buy this book try to get the "older" version...between 1932-1935 or so. It has been revised many times over the years and as it has gotten newer many of the "fun" stuff has been removed due to regulations so you will not have access to some really good stuff.
I agree with BP..mine was much more expensive too.

ladyhk13
08-24-2012, 12:18 AM
Flea repellents
* Oil of pennyroyal

*For animals, Derris powder can be used or made. Derris Indica tree roots can be finely ground and will kill fleas oon cats and dogs. Use a teaspoon of the powder along their back. The Derris tree will probably be found in FL among the mangroves. Here is a link for info on them since I had never heard of them before. As I read the article it seems that this plant can do much more than kill fleas so I am thinking of doing some more research into it.
http://www.oisat.org/downloads/Derris.html

ladyhk13
08-24-2012, 09:28 PM
Waterproof 'Cement'
* Beeswax 1 oz
Resin 3 oz
Plaster of paris 5 oz

Talc or talcum powder can be substituted for the plaster of paris. Melt beeswax and resin in a metal container over fire. When melted, add the plaster of paris and stir until ther are no more lumps. You can form this into cakes or sticks. Apply to any torn canvas, metal, or wood by melting and either pouring on or applying with a brush.
The book says it can even be used on aquariums.

ladyhk13
08-25-2012, 02:23 AM
I have no idea where this next thing came from but many of you may already have it if you are campers:

Fire Starters
* Cardboard egg carton
sawdust
lint from your drier
old candles, old crayons or candle wax
heavy duty string for a wick

Fill the holes of carton with sawdust and lint
Pour hot wax (or crayons, candles - whatever you chose to use) over top of the sawdust, put a piece of the string in the center for a wick.
Once they have set, cut up the sections and put them in little baggies with waterproof matches for a quick way to light a fire.

Katrina
08-25-2012, 05:01 AM
Well I have an old book, The New American Encyclopedia of Social and Commercial Information . New edition , revised and enlarged by James E Homans A. M. Copy right date 1908. In it has all sorts of things from learning foreign languages like German to jiu-jitsu and wrestling holds, to Husbandry and butchering cattle, gardening and having the proper etiquette , to fixing steam engines, card games like whist. It's absolutely fascinating and a great source of old time information that maybe useful when all the modern conveniences disappear and we have to do things by hand. It was my great grandparents and the book is still in great shape.

ladyhk13
08-25-2012, 05:15 AM
Could you look in it and see if you can find something for me? I found in a book (I thought it was in mine but I can't find it anywhere) how years ago farmers used different "chemicals" for lack of a better word and sprinkled the mix over manure and it stopped the hatching of flies, therefor eliminating infestations in barns and around animals. I have been going nuts all night trying to find it again to put it up here since it was so awesome.
Or if anyone else has seen such a thing, please feel free to post. Thanks!

ak474u
08-25-2012, 05:20 AM
Now I know what to do with all of those barrels of Cresolis solution.... Lol. Old books are cool. I have some very old woodworking books that look like they came west in a wagon for "sodbusters" to build their homes with.

ladyhk13
08-25-2012, 05:26 AM
Well if you come across something that you think we can use in a shtf situation that is no longer practiced or used but is a good fallback plan for us please share. I know there are a lot of woodworkers here so maybe you have some old techniques that are tried and true but "new technology" has replaced them?

That is kind of what this Post is about...trying to pull out some of the old things that were used and now have been lost but may be needed once again. Problem is, all the old folks who would have passed them down are dying off or already gone so all we have are old books that some of us are able to pick up and share with each other.

Stormfeather
08-30-2012, 09:09 AM
I got that same book last fall from someone on here that recommended it. I haen't had a chance to use it yet, but there is a bunch of useful ifo in it from what I have went thru so far. It worth having on hand IMO.

<===== That guy recommended it! :) (not Habib, the other guy!)

bacpacker
08-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Well crap I've slept since then Stormy. I can't be remebering everything.

Stormfeather
08-31-2012, 08:18 AM
Well crap I've slept since then Stormy. I can't be remebering everything.

We dont sleep. . . . we just periodically rest our eyeballs!

bacpacker
08-31-2012, 10:25 AM
I just scan my eyelids for pinholes. Hadn't found any yet. But i'm gonna keep lookin.

mitunnelrat
09-01-2012, 12:04 AM
We dont sleep. . . . we just periodically rest our eyeballs!

My new chief is a former Marine... I wonder if he'll go for that?

ladyhk13
09-01-2012, 03:39 AM
Anyone out there know of a "formula" that is either sprinkled or poured on manure to stop flies from laying their eggs? I know I have seen it somewhere and it is making me nuts trying to find it. It is an old time formula and probably not used anymore. I thought for sure it was in the formula book but I have gone page by page and can't find it, looked through my other books and I am stumped. I think my brain cell is burned out.

Sniper-T
09-01-2012, 04:47 AM
lime?

ladyhk13
09-01-2012, 05:44 AM
No, it was a mixture of stuff. Darn!!! Brain cell explodes o_?

Sniper-T
09-02-2012, 05:07 PM
As a kid, we used to sprinkle lime in the outhouse to keep the odour and the flies away. Didn't necessarily smell nice, but it did smell nicer than the after effects of a week long fishing trip with 1/2 dozen people.

ladyhk13
09-03-2012, 12:05 AM
I'll keep looking and hope I can find it. It does not just keep the flies away, it actually does not allow them to lay their eggs therefore stopping the life cycle in and around the barns and also keeps them away from the manure. I'm going through my books one at a time......arrrrrrrrrrrrrrg!

Taz Baby
09-03-2012, 07:34 PM
What is the name and by who please

ladyhk13
09-04-2012, 04:47 AM
That's the problem Taz....I can't find it now. I thought I had it, know I read it somewhere but now I can't find it.

Taz Baby
09-04-2012, 02:22 PM
That's the problem Taz....I can't find it now. I thought I had it, know I read it somewhere but now I can't find it.

Girl you have to take your coconut oil to help your memory. 1 tsp a day. :p

realist
09-04-2012, 11:38 PM
My book arrived today thank you Salvation Army of South Central Virginia. The book cost $2 and shipping was $3.99, it is in pristine condition. Tenth edition 1938, I now would like to find a first edition if possible. It is a pretty interesting book that I am sure I will put to use.

- - - Updated - - -

Taz it is called CRS.......

ladyhk13
09-05-2012, 04:58 AM
Oh,,,,you wanted to know the name of the book??? I thought you wanted to know the name of the formula I was looking for!!!!!!!!!!!!! Boy have I been having a ditsy moment for days now!!! I put the name of the book at the beginning of the thread so that's why I thought you wanted to know what I was looking for.

realist
09-05-2012, 05:01 AM
Okay no more coffee for you.......

ladyhk13
09-05-2012, 05:01 AM
Taz....Popular Science wrote it and the title is 'Recipes, Methods and Secret Processes' The earlier the edition the better. I think the first one was in 1932 or so.

realist
09-05-2012, 05:13 AM
You are right copyright was January 1932 by Popular Science Publishing Company. The title on mine is "Book of Formulas recipes, methods and secrets processes".

Katrina
09-05-2012, 05:25 AM
Lady,
According to my book "See to it that all fermenting manure(compost) is covered with turf, muck,charcoal dust, sawdust or plaster to take up and retain the ammoniacal gases as they arise". there was also something about mixing lime and salt together in a brine and adding that to the compost but it did not says if it would keep the bugs out. Nothing in the book about flies/bugs in compost and how to kill the larvae, etc. The section on agriculture was only 20 pages long.

ladyhk13
09-05-2012, 05:35 AM
I am just going crazy trying to figure out where I saw that info. I know it's out there somewhere and remember thinking that it's important to have when we get animals but of course now I have no idea where I found it. Oh well, when I come across it again I will post it. Until then we can continue on with whatever else we find that will be useful when we can't get stuff from the stores anymore and have to make things at home from stuff we have lying around or can stock up on now.

Sniper-T
09-05-2012, 09:55 AM
CRS??? Cant remember shit?

lol

Evolver
09-05-2012, 11:10 PM
Anyone out there know of a "formula" that is either sprinkled or poured on manure to stop flies from laying their eggs? I know I have seen it somewhere and it is making me nuts trying to find it. It is an old time formula and probably not used anymore. I thought for sure it was in the formula book but I have gone page by page and can't find it, looked through my other books and I am stumped. I think my brain cell is burned out.

It cures faster if you cover it with a tarp or plastic to hold in the heat and too don't need to worry about the smell or the flies. :)

ladyhk13
09-06-2012, 05:39 AM
Okay no more coffee for you.......

coffee??? huh??? what???? bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.