PDA

View Full Version : rabbits

momabear
07-18-2013, 05:02 AM
i love rabbits and i love to eat them.. just had 8 new kits (babys) the other day and they grow so fast in 6 mths i can eat them .. they also feed my garden with there poo and my garden feeds them weeds and all .. i put there left over nest in my compost pile its a win win win for me .. i keep lion heads (i can sale them as pets to make xtra cash to) gets about 12 lb new zealand white meat rabbit love them gets about 11 or 12 lbs mine are a bit larger than that i have a large palomino im trying to mix in to beef up my own breed im working on i have some americans such good momas 12 to 13 lbs and 18 mix babys i breed my self ... working on a winter barn idea i have let you no how it goes .. also keeps the kids happy and gives them a pet thats not a no good eater ... they are not hard to keep just take a little time .. i kill and skin them my self yes a women it is not hard at all takes no time , you just hold them by the back legs love on them alittle to calm them hit them on the head behind the ears at the base of the skull tell blood comes out the mouth and nose they may jump alittle so hold them good and thats all there is to it ..

izzyscout21
07-18-2013, 05:12 AM
Id like to have some rabbits. My wifes afraid the kids will give them heart attacks.

ditchmedic
07-18-2013, 05:48 AM
Id love to, but with a little girl on the way id have a hard time convincing my gf to let me do that.

MegaCPC
07-18-2013, 05:51 AM
Rabbit is good eating, that's all I got.

Anyone got some good recipes?

ladyhk13
07-18-2013, 06:11 AM
What are lion heads? I don't know anything about rabbits except we had a beautiful white one as a pet as a kid named Charlie who was trained to go potty in a child's plastic swimming pool. My mom gave him away to someone down the road and she just told me 40 years later that they ate him. Guess she decided I could finally handle the news. I think they are just so cuddly that I'm not sure I have the heart to kill something I relate to as a pet. I'm a crybaby. I'm going to cry when we get chickens and I have to kill them. Bunnies bring Easter eggs. But I hear the meat is very good.

What exactly do you feed them? Do you buy their food or is it stuff you grow or scraps from your own food?

ditchmedic
07-18-2013, 06:51 AM
Lion heads look like lions. They have a "mane". pretty cute actually.

Possom
07-18-2013, 11:59 AM
We raised new Zealand's when I was a kid. Really good eating rabbits. We currently have 3 new Zealand's (2 doe and a buck) but I'm sure once they mature we will end up with lots more.

In the meantime we have had a pretty steady amount of wild rabbit for dinner that makes the mistake of getting into my garden.

helomech
07-18-2013, 12:20 PM
We where raising champagne's, but they could no take the Texas summer, and we did not like the way the meat tasted canned. In a gumbo it was good, but not canned. We switched to California's and I have to slaughter 4 of them today.

momabear
07-18-2013, 12:45 PM
Id love to, but with a little girl on the way id have a hard time convincing my gf to let me do that.

i have a one year old little girl and she loves them and they are clean , in my mind it is the best thing you can do for your kids you will always have something for your family to eat , i went from 14 to 32 1n 2 mths .. and i spend 14$ a mth to feed them..

momabear
07-18-2013, 01:12 PM
What are lion heads? I don't know anything about rabbits except we had a beautiful white one as a pet as a kid named Charlie who was trained to go potty in a child's plastic swimming pool. My mom gave him away to someone down the road and she just told me 40 years later that they ate him. Guess she decided I could finally handle the news. I think they are just so cuddly that I'm not sure I have the heart to kill something I relate to as a pet. I'm a crybaby. I'm going to cry when we get chickens and I have to kill them. Bunnies bring Easter eggs. But I hear the meat is very good.

What exactly do you feed them? Do you buy their food or is it stuff you grow or scraps from your own food?
lions heads have xtra fur you can look it up on the net and see picks .. i no it is hard but if you try to look at it like this it might help, in cop farms they are mean and nasty to animals and they have sad lifes and in turn you eat that and all the crap they put in them , my rabbits are happy and eat good they eat the weeds and scrap plants veg from my garden not lett makes them sick ... i get a 14$ bag of feed a mth at the coop ad give them a carrot each mth and alittle hay once a week and they are fat and happy. but i could feed them with out that just need to now a little about weeds and what not to feed them..

- - - Updated - - -

We where raising champagne's, but they could no take the Texas summer, and we did not like the way the meat tasted canned. In a gumbo it was good, but not canned. We switched to California's and I have to slaughter 4 of them today.
try alittle suger when you can it! i thank it helps..

Taz Baby
07-18-2013, 04:11 PM
I use to raise rabbits and out of all the different kinds I raised the California's were the easiest one to take care of. They are a all around good rabbit, food, heath wise, good litters and mommies, gentle, sell easy.

ladyhk13
07-18-2013, 05:49 PM
lions heads have xtra fur you can look it up on the net and see picks .. i no it is hard but if you try to look at it like this it might help, in cop farms they are mean and nasty to animals and they have sad lifes and in turn you eat that and all the crap they put in them , my rabbits are happy and eat good they eat the weeds and scrap plants veg from my garden not lett makes them sick ... i get a 14$ bag of feed a mth at the coop ad give them a carrot each mth and alittle hay once a week and they are fat and happy. but i could feed them with out that just need to now a little about weeds and what not to feed them..

- - - Updated - - -

try alittle suger when you can it! i thank it helps..

I know that you are right about the animals being happy. I can't stand the chicken farms here, they make me cry when I see them or the poor chickens being hauled down the highway crammed in cages and their little feathers flying all over the place knowing that their beaks have been clipped, they have been fed growth hormones and got so fat so fast that many of them have broken their little legs because they couldn't handle the weight and that's not even thinking about the living conditions Tyson and others puts them through. The same with cow feed lots. Makes me sick. I can't wait to get out property situation finished so we can start raising our own meats.
I think it's totally cool that you are doing this and teaching your children how to do the same. You will never have to worry that they will go hungry. Maybe we can get together sometime and I can come see you bunnies.

momabear
07-19-2013, 04:01 AM
i no it is sick and i do wont to take part in that , and is one reason why i am working to go off the grid i thank we as a people have lost sight of what we need to be as american we need to set the bar for the world.

momabear
07-21-2013, 03:52 PM
new info , cages with moma and kits (babys) make sure you have fine wire in the floor and up the sides about a foot or more , i missed up and only had a wood ridge about 1 4th of a foot up on the side thanking that would be ok not good had one get out and went to the duck pond not good sad to say did not make it , they will hop out of the box at a week old so i try to keep an eye on them all day when i have kits at 2 weeks they wont to try to eat moms food so i put a red brick in the cage next to the box so they can get in and out by there self dont take them long to get what its for at that time i put in rubber sink mats ( you can get them at the dollar store) easy to clean keeps there little feet and legs safe and keeps them all from getting sores on there feet keep one in all my cages make shore there is space for mom to poo and i drop feed on them at two weeks for baby to try, at 3 weeks i began to touch them so they no me i try not to do that befor then if i can help it but if i have to i rub my clean hands all over moma to get her smell on my hands ( i have had them eat them ) if they do that 2 times i dont keep them .. just some stuff ive picked up hope it helps..