PDA

View Full Version : Fishing, 2013

mitunnelrat
07-26-2013, 11:05 PM
So, I've been uber busy on a new 12 hour work schedule and continuing to get our garden together, but I have managed to get out fishing a couple times. I caught my biggest fish yet on the last outing. A 27" Sheephead. Apparently they're good eating, but I usually throw them back. This time, this guy ran over and said he wanted it! Lol. I barely had time to get a pic of it.

I enjoyed reeling this one in.
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/008_zps1f71a605.jpg (http://s304.photobucket.com/user/mitunnelrat/media/008_zps1f71a605.jpg.html)

Sniper-T
07-28-2013, 03:54 PM
nicely done!

helomech
07-28-2013, 04:09 PM
Nice. Sheephead are great eating, but that looks a little different than I am used to seeing. That looks a little like a drum. Either way both are great to eat, sheephead are just a little harder to clean. Don't fillet them like a regular fish, just cut above the sense line on the side of them. Getting through their ribs is a PITA.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
07-28-2013, 10:48 PM
Where's the teeth? Where's the funny lookin teeth man? The sheeps head I used to catch down in Long Boat Key,FL when I was a kid used to have the verticle stripes. We used to catch'em on sand fleas (little crustaceans of a sort) we'd dig out of the sand. We'd throw'em back too. Them and whiting, catfish ah to be a kid again. Nice fish, really nice fish, I'll bet that was a great couple of minutes in your life.

mitunnelrat
07-31-2013, 04:11 AM
Nice. Sheephead are great eating, but that looks a little different than I am used to seeing. That looks a little like a drum. Either way both are great to eat, sheephead are just a little harder to clean. Don't fillet them like a regular fish, just cut above the sense line on the side of them. Getting through their ribs is a PITA.

Thanks. I'll have to remember that for when I get around to keeping and cleaning one. All told I caught 8 that night. This was just the biggest. A 9th got away.

mitunnelrat
07-31-2013, 04:13 AM
Where's the teeth? Where's the funny lookin teeth man? The sheeps head I used to catch down in Long Boat Key,FL when I was a kid used to have the verticle stripes. We used to catch'em on sand fleas (little crustaceans of a sort) we'd dig out of the sand. We'd throw'em back too. Them and whiting, catfish ah to be a kid again. Nice fish, really nice fish, I'll bet that was a great couple of minutes in your life.

It was. That whole night was a lot of fun. I have a friend who watches a lot of fishing shows, and started calling me the KVD of Sheephead. Lol.