PDA

View Full Version : Snacks

Katrina
08-11-2013, 08:47 PM
I was wondering if anyone has thought of what to do if shtf about making snacks like chips, stuff like that
Potatoes we can grow and if you have the solid Crisco, one could make chips But what about stuff we take for granted? Chexx mix, Dortitos,etc. I read about having candy , chocolate on hand but you can only eat so much candy before one gets tired of it.
I've made chips but not sure how to go about the other chip types.DH loves his Frito's and bean dip.

ak474u
08-11-2013, 09:37 PM
Most corn chips are just fried corn tortilla strips. You just need a decent corn tortilla recipe, and oil.

bacpacker
08-11-2013, 10:54 PM
We stock a bunch of Jolly Ranchers, and lots of Dark Chocolate. Ice cream will be what I miss badly. I suspect nut's will become a favorite snack after SHTF.

ElevenBravo
08-11-2013, 11:07 PM
PSHTF snacks will IMHO be greatly different from what we enjoy today, due to the nature of preserves, etc...

I suspect skillet fried grasshoppers may replace Doretoes, etc.. Not seriously, but its the thought that deserves examining.

EB

Gunfixr
08-11-2013, 11:57 PM
Diced and salt cured cat?

Katrina
08-12-2013, 02:45 AM
thanks ak, I forgot about that.
bp, there is a neat thing out there, it is a ball you put milk in one chamber and the salt and ice in another and let the kids roll it around for awhile and you got ice cream. I wonder if one could use powdered milk mix in it. I have an electric ice cream machine that you freeze the inner bowl, chamber ,hook it up and it twirls around for about 15_20 minutes and I have ice cream . Will have to see if I can mix a batch of powdered milk up and see if I can get something that resembles ice cream/milk from . Now I just have make room in the freezer for the bowl to freeze it up.

LUNCHBOX
08-12-2013, 05:31 AM
Don't ask me about the measurements/mixing of these ingredients but when I was little my grandparents would mix...

Peanut butter
Honey
powdered milk

Mix it in a bowl and there you go.

Sniper-T
08-13-2013, 09:10 PM

why PSHTF. This one is good now too.

That Auntie
08-13-2013, 11:30 PM
We eat a lot of pop corn here, so stocking up some on the kernels isn't too tough. Plus I've started buying some of the flavor powders, and we mix spices for it as well. The kids have also developed a real taste for dehydrated fruit, pineapple and mango dipped in melted chocolate is a favorite treat too. When they leave it long enough for me to do it any way.

Katrina
08-14-2013, 12:38 AM
DH likes his popcorn too. However I'm going to have stock some butter powder for him . He's not a big fan of "flavored" corn.Of course he'll eat it plain but it might be nice to use the powder for him once in awhile;) Gunfixer, you stay away from my kitties, need them to corral the mice and keep the little ones amused.

bacpacker
08-14-2013, 01:13 AM
Popcorn is easy to grow and since I bought an old corn sheller, won't be hard to get off the cob. I gotta grow more of that next year.

I ran across this tonight on another site and thought of this thread, so i had to share for all you chocoholic's like us.

http://cottageinthemaking.blogspot.com/2012/04/safely-canning-chocolate-sauce-yes-you.html

Gunfixr
08-14-2013, 11:56 PM
Ok, Katrina. Here, there's lots of "free running" cats, you know, making muddy paw prints in the paint of your cars, trying to get in your house when you go in or out, spraying around the yard, a real PITA.

Shelf stable chocolate. Imagine the bartering power of that.

Katrina
08-14-2013, 11:57 PM
OOH yummy

Katrina
08-15-2013, 12:02 AM
Sorry to hear that Gunfixr.Around here the animals seem to be controlled.My two are strictly house cats, however last night my neighbors cat got out and decided to visit,Ms Chloe almost went thru the screen on the back deck to chase her off the property. Neighbor came thru and got his kitty apologized too He's friend of son 2 and his kids occasionally leave the sliding door open when they are playing in the back yard. How I remember those days:-)

msomnipotent
08-16-2013, 06:51 PM
I'm surprised no one mentioned fruit leather yet!

Gunfixr
08-17-2013, 12:22 AM
Fruit leather ???

I didn't mention it because I've never heard of it.

Katrina
08-17-2013, 03:34 AM
Its pureed fruit that you dehydrate in sheets, the grand kids snarf it up.It's pretty easy to make too. think flat gummy fruit snacks.

carolinasurvivalist
08-18-2013, 10:50 AM
I'm surprised no one mentioned fruit leather yet!

I'm going to need a fruit leather recipe! I love that stuff

msomnipotent
08-18-2013, 02:58 PM
I'm going to need a fruit leather recipe! I love that stuff

I haven't tried making it myself yet. I'm the only one in the family that eats it, so I just buy it at the store when I want some. I wish my daughter would eat it because I need healthy snacks for her lunch box!

Sniper-T
08-20-2013, 11:43 PM
got a batch of zucchini chips in the dehydrator right now. I used salt and vinegar and ketchup (2 batches) popcorn seasoning to spice them up a little.

from here:

http://gnowfglins.com/2012/08/31/how-to-dehydrate-zucchini-and-summer-squash-chips-and-shredded/#

- - - Updated - - -

My wife thinks I'm nuts, but I love snacking on my dehydrated mushrooms. I did a batch where I wet them and dusted them with black pepper. They're to die for!

Sniper-T
08-20-2013, 11:54 PM
Fruit leather ???

I didn't mention it because I've never heard of it.

here's a good basic site:

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_fruit_leather/

I don't care for it because it excedes my sweet tooth capabilities, but I have made the same type of leather from soup broth and it is awesome!

Sniper-T
08-22-2013, 02:18 AM
Zucchini chips anyone?
Ketchup:
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/0820131844a_zps1f802e7e.jpg (http://s605.photobucket.com/user/Sniper-T/media/0820131844a_zps1f802e7e.jpg.html)

Salt and vinegar:
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/0820131844b_zps5914bf12.jpg (http://s605.photobucket.com/user/Sniper-T/media/0820131844b_zps5914bf12.jpg.html)

Sniper-T
08-23-2013, 02:20 AM
^
Truly AWESOME!!!! texture like a pringle, and better tasting. I'm going to make another batch this weekend, with just spices, as the popcorn seasoning is a little too salty for my liking.

I love zucchini, and this is by far the best thing that ever happened to it! Next batch, assuming I make enough, and it lasts long enough, I'm going to put up in vacu-bags!

Katrina
08-23-2013, 11:24 PM
Looks yummy and I love zucchini.

Domeguy
08-26-2013, 01:18 AM

As an life long cat lover, I feel I must protest this posting with every cell of my body, and I feel I must therefore make a stand!
I will officially go on a hunger strike until I get a signed and notarized apology written is ancient sanscript, on a standard 20x34 inch parchment from the finest velum with a 24 carat filigree ingraving in the 1000 year old rose wood frame.
So let it be written, so let it be done......................Are you skerrt yet?