Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mindset

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Mindset

So at Sunday School today (for purposes of the lessons) the question was asked "what is your primary source of news".

There were somewhere between 35 and 40 people in the room. Quite a few answered Fox News or Armed Forces Radio. Some answered the local TV news station, and a few others The Drudge Report (The Stig raises his hand). One guy said the local newspaper, and another NPR (gasp).

Forgetting any discussion regarding the quality of the main stream media for a second, here's what got my attention.....

There were 8 or so people who proudly proclaimed "I don't listen to any news. I figure if something bad is going on someone well tell me."

Several more answered "The Weather Channel" or "ESPN" which is akin to being completely oblivious.

So while I was supposed to listen to the good word I couldn't help but remember the lesson this reiterated. There are many amongst us who willfully just don't pay attention to anything. They have the macro-verson of SAOAFR and just be-bop through life.

Frankly, I think these might be some of the more dangerous people we'll have to deal with during a SHTF event. They are the ones that will freak out. They are the ones that will panic and make the absolute worst choice. They are the ones that will cling to you and make you both drown. They are the ones that will make a huge fucking scene that attracts unwanted attention.

And before the SHTF these are the same people who will swear up & down people shouldn't carry guns or have those big evil "assault weapons" because "nothing bad ever happens here". These are the folks who don't want to fight force with overwhelming force. These are the people who'd rather make a stink over some obscure Home Owners Association rule than put extra water on the shelf. They are the ones that will try to make you feel awkward for having emergency supplies. They are the ones worried that police officers are wearing BDU style pants.

But overall it just amazed me that people seemed so happy to live with their heads up their ass.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

With my job....I've been seeing/hearing this for some time. I would think it sad if I didn't agree with Stig about the threat they will become.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

He can get it up, but getting it down again might be, ah, interesting....wait...we're talking about airplanes right?
    It follows the old rule that you react as you have been trained, and if you haven't been trained, you panic.... Far too many folks these days have never trained their minds to take in, and process information. As products of the public education and mindwashing system, they have been systematically shorn of their ability to think and react. They will be a constant hazard during unsettled times.

I'll most likely shit myself

You can count on folks being a problem you would never have considered could be. These are very unsettled days indeed.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

I disagree. I don't watch any news. Just cant do it anymore, all it does is get me in a bad mood. I am very prepared, but watching the news does nothing to make me prepared. If the SHTF I am hoping I am prepared and there will be nothing I need to do, other than hunker down. Guns are loaded, mags are full, food is here, water is here. Don't see what keeping up with the news will help.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Quote Originally Posted by helomech View Post
    I disagree. I don't watch any news. Just cant do it anymore, all it does is get me in a bad mood. I am very prepared, but watching the news does nothing to make me prepared. If the SHTF I am hoping I am prepared and there will be nothing I need to do, other than hunker down. Guns are loaded, mags are full, food is here, water is here. Don't see what keeping up with the news will help.
    I think the difference is the part where you are prepared but have chosen to tune out the news for your mental health.

These folks are most likely not prepared and tune out the news to avoid reality.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    I think the difference is the part where you are prepared but have chosen to tune out the news for your mental health.

These folks are most likely not prepared and tune out the news to avoid reality.
    Oh, I just get so tired of hearing on the news how I am being screwed and how there is nothing I can do about it. I just stay on my little compound and avoid leaving it as much as possible.

Let him know if you need 550 cord, a hank of generic rope, and some duct tape

I usually read news online from a variety of sources. Anytime there is news, it will be biased in one way or another, so I try to interpret things my own way. Sometimes I will watch two agencies cover the same story. The truth is usually somewhere in the middle but you have to cut the crap to get to it.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

I have been a news junkie for many years. I read the Christian Science Monitor and the Washington Times. I also read Drudge, listen to Glen Beck, Larry Elder the Sage of South Central, Just Measures Radio Network, and I read...... The Huffington Post, as well as visit MoveOn.org. On my shortwave receiver I listen to various broadcasts, with my favorite being Radio Havana. Even Steve Quayle and Alex Jones have good tidbits of info.

Does get my blood boiling? Yes! Am I better informed and thereby capable of making better decisions? Yes! Does it give me ammo to bring DGI friends around? Yes! as I've stated before I am an information monger and have been for many years, but I don't restrict my sources of info to any one source. To do so is to slant my opinion, and to be candid, I think that is what the propaganda, woops, I mean news sources want to do.

I need to get down and post in the "What is everybody reading" thread that over the weekend on our camping trip I reread "The Five Rings" and "The Art of War". And this morning I started re-reading "Atlas Shrugged". Lord that is a dry read, but that is typical of Russian authors.

Get your news everywhere you can; even the janitor in your office building can be a good source.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

He's old and grumpy, but not fat. He'll be right back...he has to go tell some kids to get off his lawn

I use a number of sources for my news CNN, FOX, ABC, CBS, Drudge and a number of other sites on the web. One can be under informed but never over informed. Once I've seen the story covered by a few sources I ncan get a true picture of what really happened.
    "There are no winners in war, only bigger losers"

If you see me or hear me coming, I'm not doing my job.