Living in wildfire country this year has really hit home. We are not far from the Lake County fires. After looking at them critically so many people all they could do is grab and go. One of the houses which made it through was an all concrete home. Although this would be the way to go I can't get a concrete truck to my location due to a 60 ft bridge which would not handle the weight. So plan "B" for my property is to put in a root cellar.......okay it will be bigger than a normal root cellar............the wife would roll her eyes if I said the B word. I figure I could get in a small Conex box and bury it. This would make it fireproof and so long as the entrance was properly protected we could get in it to ride out the fire. Obviously evacuation would be best but we have a one way in one way out road so if a fire cut it we would be screwed. So I am looking at a place of safe refuge too as well as storage of our things.

Thanks for the tips on the fire extinguishers, it was something I had not thought about.

You are so right about the PPE.....