Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hazardous Cargo

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Hazardous Cargo

What sort of hazardous cargo/freight moves through/in/near or over your home?

Do you know?

Where or how could you find out?

What is the level of the threat? (ie there's a chemical processing plant next door vs you live on the top of a mountain 37 miles from anywhere)
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

I'll most likely shit myself

We live about 5 or so miles from the airport which has a ANG base attached. They fly KC-135's out of there. When they are doing touch and goes we are in the flight pattern depending on wind direction ans which way they turn. Jet fuel is probably our most likely. There are train tracks within 8 miles or so and as everyone knows, anything and everything arve hauled on those.

For the Love of Cats

Everything. The TransCanada Highway is 3 miles away, so anything that can be loaded into a truck, is there.
    Further, the TransCanada Railway is 4 miles away. Anything that can be loaded on a train, is there.

*sigh*
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Looking to learn how to spoon....wait....what's that....oh....MAKE spoons
    I'm good on that, since I like in the middle of nowhere. Nearest town is a few miles away, no where near any air/sea ports, highways, railways, none of that.

For the Love of Cats

holy shit!!! Another Canadian!!! Woohoo

Welcome to the board Baker!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Has been known to look at Izzy's trunk. Stares at the junk in Izzy's trunk. Get it...he's checking out Izzy's trunk.

I dont have any major airports or highways close, Dayton airport is about 30 miles away, so i think im ok in regards to hazardous materials from those two routes. There are a few railroad tracks but i think they are at least 5-10 miles away, so hopefully we'll be ok from those as well. Unfortunately one never knows when a load of hazmat will randomly travel near your home for whatever reason, all we can do is cross our fingers and hope for the best.
    “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.” ~ G.K. Chesterton

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

There is a plant about 5 miles from me, not sure what they produce but I don't think it is to bad. I am way uphill from them, and also upwind of the prevailing winds.

Looking to learn how to spoon....wait....what's that....oh....MAKE spoons
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    holy shit!!! Another Canadian!!! Woohoo

Welcome to the board Baker!
    Lol thanks mate!

i am 20 miles from three mile island and trains run like 2 miles from the house but to be honest not alot of hazmat on those they have to be placarded if it carries more then 1000lbs of any hazardous substance like such as if it carried smoke detectors. thought the amount of radiated matierial is very small maybe a few lbs of actual substance the rest is considered towards weight. and all train shipments must be placarded if hazmat is over 1000lbs in reality there is very little transported that if it gets into the air will really be hazarous to you worst would be say chlorine and once disipated past 100 ppm which will happen in 2 minutes of being exposed to air most it could cause would be nose bleeds and nausea it may polute the ground water but no more then is already in regular city water. unless it hits you directly which will kill you peel your skin right off nothing to worry about.

i work in shipping in paticualr international air transport and ship hazmat all the time just did a shipment like 5 min ago corrosive will be placarded. filling for teeth contains small parts of mercury. mostly just silver and aluminum like 1/1000th part mercury but whole shipment is considered hazmat.

so do not worry abotu chemical contamination

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

I live 135 ft from the slow lane of an 8 lane tollway, and 500 ft from an intersecting 8 lane tollway. HC routes are several miles away, but local hazmat and fuel are carried over the tollways as well. Oh, and a train line that I'm pretty sure is a dedicated UPS spur, all that goes by is piggy back cars with UPS trailers, and very few like 6 or 7 of those a few times a day.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.