Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camo hideout discovered in park

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Camo hideout discovered in park

Story from here:

http://news.yahoo.com/camouflaged-re...opstories.html

An elaborate and illegal camouflaged residence, outfitted with bunk beds and a barbecue patio, has been discovered near a Los Angeles County animal refuge.
    Eight months ago, Robert Downs, 51, set up a small structure in the woods near the Tujunga Ponds Wildlife Sanctuary in Sunland, Calif. To hide his home from police, Downs, who was previously homeless, sprayed it with camouflage paint and cut down nearby trees, said Johnie Jones, a deputy in the Parks Bureau of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
    The structure, which Downs built with materials he bought at Home Depot, contained four bunk beds built into the walls, tables, shelves and fire extinguishers. Outside were a rock patio, a barbecue grill and more tables. An American flag was draped over Downs' bed.
    Downs stood a chance of evading major legal trouble for his hidden house, but sheriff's deputies also discovered that he cultivated eight marijuana plants outside the structure, a felony because he did not have a permit to do so, Jones said.
    When Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department deputies found Downs's residence while on patrol Monday, he told them he had been living in the 13.5-acre wildlife sanctuary for more than a year, Jones said.
    "He seems like he had some skills," Jones said. "I've seen homeless sweeps before where people have brought tents or mattresses, but nothing this elaborate."
    Downs was arrested on charges of marijuana cultivation and building a house on county property, Jones said. He is being held on a $30,000 bond, Jones said.
    Downs was found with two others who were cited with infractions and then released, Jones said.
    The Los Angeles County Department of Public Works will remove the structure from the park over the next two weeks.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Got to give him his due for trying. To bad there hitting him so hard.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

I rarely disagree with posters on here, but "hitting him so hard"? Really? He is an illegal pot grower. He is camping at an animal refuge and probably eating the animals that are owned by the refuge. He obviously has carpentry skills yet is unable to fit in with society for whatever reason is his choosing. Can't find a job and down on your luck so you shoot some wild animals to feed your family, go right ahead, sir! Somehow loose your home for whatever reason and set up camp on your family/friend's back 40 and live off the land, go right ahead. But set up a pot shop on land owned by a wildlife center that tax dollars are supporting? No! Not in your wildest dreams. Get a job, own the land, then do whatever you want with it and I will support you 100%.

For the Love of Cats

I gotta agree with MS on this one. Had it not been for the weed, I woulda agreed with LB. Either way though, location, location, location! there has got to be better, less mainstream locations in CA to drop off grid. 1-2 plants - personal use, I don't think they would have been so harsh. 8 plants - small time dealer. The cabin and gear is probably paid for by selling. too bad though; he is one SHTF event too early, otherwise he would have been stylin'
    Last edited by Sniper-T; 07-19-2012 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Names changed to protect their reflections
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Intelligence Officer

Thinks someone took Ranger's Urban Survival a lil bit too serious.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    Had it not been for the weed, I woulda agreed with Izzy...........
    How? I didn't say anything...........

MS, I'm willing to bet that since LUNCHBOX is in Law Enforcement, he probably missed the part about the pot grow......................
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

For the Love of Cats

oops... meant LB
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Is it just me, or does my other post seem much more bitchier than I intended? I was going for a more "O M G no way!" kind of vibe. Sorry.

But even if there wasn't pot involved, I still think setting up shop in an animal sanctuary is wrong and he got what he deserved. I would be inclined to be lenient if he was just camping out in a regular forest preserve or something, but he didn't. I'm glad that there was no mention of hunting or I might have gone ape crazy.

And I think 8 plants are a little more than personal use.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

That's a typical Kommiefornicastan story. The County (LA) is also doing evictions in Antelope Valley, Griffith Park, etc. And yes 8 plants is more than personal use, unless your smoking like a chimney. That's a cash crop yield of over 12 lbs. He was probably selling it to a dispensary and making out like a bandit. It's extremely weird living out here. I can't wait to retire and move.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Man when iw as a kid like 15 or 16 i became homeless for a few years after juvy turned me loose i grew weed in the woods made some money got a place got a job and moved up the food chain. Honestly the government should of left this guy alone instead of forcing him to use the city provided homeless shelters full of lice and disease. I am guessing thier was alot better things for the police to be doing other then harassing the homeless who decided to live off public land. Its our land not the laws who cares if he was growing weed its not like he was out here raping killing and murdering like some hoodlum would have been right up the street but the cops aren't interested in actually having to work and do thier jobs.
    Last edited by tompnoid; 07-19-2012 at 04:51 PM.