Page 13 of 389 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you done to prep this week?

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Dont know if this counts towards prepping for some, but i just bought a 16ft car trailer. Living within the city limits, ill be bugging out if something bad were to happen. So something to load my gear and supplies on is a plus in my book.
    Yes I know it's an old post but du you realize how easy it is to buld a removeable "cabin" for on that car trailer that would turn it into a camper/ storage shed bugout trailer all in one? four sheets of plywood per side would give you an eight foot tall wall...

I'll most likely shit myself

Quote Originally Posted by dragon5126 View Post
    First and foremost is what is the physical size of the gennie (not rating)and can you post a pic? Secondly, what type of motor is on it? It is always possible to replace the muffler with something bigger and quieter but you have to becareful that you dont end up burning the exhaust valve(s) depending on what you do. Be careful about putting any kind of shroud around it. Overheating the genset itself, can destroy the windings and you are stuck with a motor that runs bit no electricity. A "friend" did yhat with one of my small generators. Now I have spare parts for a machine I dont have.
    It's roughly 18x18x24 give or take a little. Has a 10hp B & S engine.
    I assume you can run a longer muffler/same diameter without much problem but you can't close the diameter without burning issue's in the valve train. I guess what I'm tryin to say, Don't increase the back pressure too much?
    The surround I was thinking about was just a tall set of walls to direct the sound upward as opposed to out. Not sealing it off.

not enough pressure can burn valves on a small enginge being run for long periods of time worse than too much which just chokes off the flow of air through the mill. All internal combustion engines are, is just air pumps, so they work best when they move the most air (within reason). Brigs engines are easy to quiet down with different mufflers but take a bit of welding to make the adaptors to make... They use basic pipe threads to mount the mufflers so all you really need to do is find a small car muffler and make a mount for it to fit on the Gennies frame, make a heat shield for it and the pipe you need to route up to the exhaust outlet of the motor and mount it up. the trick is to transition to about 1 7/8'' exhaust pipe asap out of the motor. A muffler from a SMALL 4 cyl car or even any multi cylinder motor such as a quiet cycle should take care of the rest better than an actual small engine muffler, as small engine mufflers are really just spark arrestors.

Thanks for the heads up Dragon. There is a small machine shop bout 7 miles from here that I use for various projects. Guess I need to pay them a call. Actually I have another piece I need to get welded for a mowing machine I've been procratinating on getting done. Kill two birds with one stone.
    I went to Tractor Supply tonight and got a solar fence charger for 30% off. Got some of the fence post I need, along with wire, insulators, & hardware for my fence in the chicken lot. Also got fencing to put around the bottom of the coop and a couple of 30 Gallon metal garbage cans w/ good lids to store feed in the coop with. They'll keep out the chickens and mice.

here is a heads up for ya on the chicken feed... watch for an old chest freezer, size according to your needs doesnt need to work but if it cools so much the better for hot weather to keep the bugs from hatching in the feed (eggs are already in it as is,) being flat sided they fit in the corner, seal tight against rodents and are watertight.

Well I had a visit from a good friend today. He twisted my arm and made me buy a brand new Beretta Neos in .22. Sweet pistol with a 6" barrel and holster.
    Thanks Izzy! It is sweet.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Glad I can be of assistance. Hope you enjoy.

Had a great time, BTW. Thanks for letting me visit. I even learned a few things. Chicken coop looks great.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Premium Member

All us Tennessee guys need to get a challenge coin going, and form our own little MAG.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by TEOTWAWKI13 View Post
    All us Tennessee guys need to get a challenge coin going, and form our own little MAG.
    PM out.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Queen of the Doom Room
    Earlier this week I bought 40#'s B/S Chicken Breast on sale. Got it all prepped and ready for the Canner but I'm not ready yet so single guy next door with an empty freezer is holding it for me until I'm ready because our freezers are full. Also got Cukes, Summer Squash, Pumpkin, Winter Squash and Collard seedlings set in the garden. Up planted a few other seedlings that needed bigger pots and sowed Pole Beans and Peas.