Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nerds: Brainiacs and Savants

CC Gray Panther

Nerds: Brainiacs and Savants

I wish to put this forth to my fellow ants for reviews and thoughts.

In our normal everyday life we prepare for the unexpected in hopes of continuing on with some degree normalcy. We as a whole are learning many techniques to help us and others. I've been pondering lately of all the people who could possibly be of help even if they don't have our skills.

As the title says ; These people may not be able to do many of the things we do but have vast knowledge in many areas we don't and could quite well be very valuable in areas such as total recall on many subjects. Engineering ; gardening ; farming ; weapon building ; repair ; power generation and many many more subjects.

It's my belief that even if they can't handle weapons and fight like us that they have a valuable spot in the clan if managed right. To me it is imperative to have brains along side the brawn to get the job done.

I have a very close friend who's brother in law is quite possibly a functioning Savant. This man does calc. in his head and other math. styles. Draws up plans for various projects and put them down in fine detail to each pieces size and so on without cracking a book or sweat doing it. But as for being a warrior not so much. He's working on 5 different projects at once and keeps everything in his head. All these are for after SHTF though he'll use them now.

I guess my point is ; Should we keep our eyes and ears open for these folks and work them in where possible? I personally believe we should if it's workable.

What say you.

For the Love of Cats

I think that it is a no-brainer (pun intended). A group of warriors will only be able to do so much to maintain themselves if they don't have other skills. So you would turn out no different than that dipshit in the video who plans on raiding and taking what he needs. If you do not have the mindset, and the ability to farm, build, repair, cleanse, purify, etc. Then you will have no choice but to turn into a ban of raiders taking what you want/need

Every group needs balance. a warrior can be given a shovel, and instructed how to plant a garden, a warrior can be given a wrench and instructed how to turn it, a warrior can be given a water filter, and instructed on how to use it. On the same note, a farmer, a mechanic, or a builder can be instructed by the warrior to fight and or shoot.

Would this make the farmer a warrior? of course not, no more so than turning over a bed and planting some seeds make a warrior a farmer. but it is all a numbers game. One farmer trying to grow enough to feed 30 would be a lot of work, but add in some tutored labour, and it is manageable. One warrior trying to defend an acreage full of farmers would be an equal exercise in futility. Yet, give them a little training, and arm them, and they can stand guard with the warrior, and fight beside him if/when the time arises.

If the grid goes down, and you plan on surviving, you will need one of two things.
    1. The knowledge on how to do everything survival related, including but not limited to what was mentioned above, and the manpower to accomplish it.
    2. A group of people who, collectively, have the same knowledge as above, and are the manpower to accomplish it.

A group of farmers, are unlikely going to be able to survive long without a gun, and the ability to use it. A group of warriors is unlikely going to be able to survive long without a hoe, and the ability to use it. And Sure, anyone can pull a trigger, or pull a hoe; but just as the former requires finesse (squeeze), so does the latter (not to deep, not too shallow, not too wide)

If I had to put my money on what single focused group of people would have the greatest chance for survival, I would bet on the warrior, as they have the ability to get(take) what they need or are lacking. But at that point, they will cease being human (or ants), and be no better than a feral cat.

IMO
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Do you have a robot?
    I think this would depend upon the number of people that you have in your group. To have someone like this would be a luxury because they would be an extra mouth to feed. So IMHO these people would have to do work just like everyone else. I may not want to give them a gun if they are not competent with it but they sure can operate a hoe or shovel. People like this would be in dispensable in the rebuilding of a nation after a total collapse. However that would be years off, initially everyone would be in a survival mode. There are many of these types of people who are very capable warriors so all would not be lost. In a total collapse I do not see a high survival rate in those or any people who do not have the proper survival skills.

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

Can a warrior not be a brainiac?

If you choose an answer to this question at random, what is the chance that you'll be correct?

a) 25%
    b) 50%
    c) 60%
    d) 25%

- - - Updated - - -

We have a mechanical and an electrical engineer in our group.

And both are great weapons handlers.
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

I would submit to you all that post SHTF, all types of minds will be needed. But the critical key is that the skills to survive will be needed the most. In American culture, the civilians have controlled the warriors since the beginning of our country. Why? Because left unchecked, the warriors of society, any society, can overthrow those (brainiacs) who have no defense. Look around the world: how many military dictatorships exist as the result of coups or have just always been?

Our founding fathers saw this and wisely placed the military under civilian control. I see no reason why the same principles don't apply after a major SHTF/ meltdown event.

Not everyone can be a pipehitter any more than I have the patience to be an accountant. Different folks bring different things to the table. As long as you can pull some form of weight, I can use you.................go count my bullets

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Echo2 View Post
    Can a warrior not be a brainiac?

I would like to submit this piece of evidence to the jury:

Brainiac warriors.

Men who have the equivalent of a Harvard education in their trade. They have doctorates in diplomacy and master's in chaos.

Yes.

A warrior can be a brainiac.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

Quote Originally Posted by izzyscout21 View Post
    Yes.

A warrior can be a brainiac.
    It was a rhetorical question.....

We have more reference books than allowed by law........I even know what some of them are for....
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by Echo2 View Post
    It was a rhetorical question.....
    I know..............I couldn't pass up the opportunity
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

On the flip side, my husband is a total nerd and I have been called a brainiac on more than one occasion. We either already have the skills or in the process of learning all the skills that we would need. We would be very hard pressed to take in someone that only considers him/herself a warrior. I can shoot a gun. What else would a warrior bring to the table?

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Quote Originally Posted by msomnipotent View Post
    I can shoot a gun. What else would a warrior bring to the table?
    A lot more than pulling a trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by helomech View Post
    A lot more than pulling a trigger.
    Nerds and brainiacs can also do a lot more than remember things and solve puzzles. That is my point.