Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 79 1 ton 78/79 Bronco project still in feasibility stages.

79 1 ton 78/79 Bronco project still in feasibility stages.

Hey everyone I hope you all had a nice weekend.

My wife hates me. I've been glued to the monitor all weekend looking at broncos and a matching trailer after I read that other thread. It started a fire under my ass.

I had a 1/2 ton many years ago. Broke the 9" replaced it with a posi broke that then replaced it with a Detroit locker.

I had just sourced a d60 front and rear out of a 78 F350 and was going to upgrade them in my bronco.
    Had the leaf shackles steering rods and drop down components to make it all work. Was going to put 38-40" tires on it.

Met my wife in 96 and the truck became a permanent resident of a leaking roof garage. It rains a lot up here. After 9 years in that environment, it didn't survive. I had to scrap it.

I still have the d60's.

I was never keen on leaf spring front axle. After researching one ton broncos last night I just saw some awesome stuff. One ton coil overs with huge articulation. This is what will most likely be the deciding factor over choosing a 90's turbo diesel landcruiser 80 series. Along with the pre 1980 emp issues as well.

Anybody own a landcruiser or a bronco?
    The future belongs to those who prepare for it.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

The only time one should “fight fair” is when one is engaged in play.

Give him a home, where the buffalo roam, and they make "wood" for his cookin fires all day
    I knew a guy when I lived in florida name Bronco John. he was an amazing mechanic. His specialty was broncos that could crawl over other vehicles!! He was a big fan of fully welded tube frames and military front and rear axles.

Re: 79 1 ton 78/79 Bronco project still in feasibility stages.

Those bronco guys are a handy friend indeed.
    I've know one for 25 years but he's still stuck in the 70s and doesn't surf the net.
    I am going in to a custom 4x4 shop soon to get a consult on this build. That's where the feasible part comes in lol. They take babies and organs as payment i heard.
    Last edited by Metrocruiser; 12-04-2012 at 06:58 PM.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Give him a home, where the buffalo roam, and they make "wood" for his cookin fires all day
    then I recommend you pay with the neighbors bratty babies!

Re: 79 1 ton 78/79 Bronco project still in feasibility stages.

Hi guys
    This is like the setup i am dreaming about.
    I think in order to make it happen i will have to buy someone else's project. It will be too dawn expensive to have this built from the body down.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bacon saver

That's an interesting lookin rig. I used to have a 79 F150 4x4, I did a stem to stern rebuild on that one had the 351"M"ichigan motor, dropped a 500cfm 2 brl holley on there and the damn thing was pullin 16mpg all day long with 33" tires. Sold it to a young Seal, Kid drove it from Great lakes to BUDS (San Diego) then to Team 2 in Dam Neck, Va. Not a single problem, never should have sold it to that little SOB.......not bad for a Ford. So how heavy Duty a truck are you going to do here? What gear ratio? Coil over springs......what weight? 3/4....1 ton? Transfer case and tranny? What about power plant?
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownwater Riverrat 13 View Post
    That's an interesting lookin rig. I used to have a 79 F150 4x4, I did a stem to stern rebuild on that one had the 351"M"ichigan motor, dropped a 500cfm 2 brl holley on there and the damn thing was pullin 16mpg all day long with 33" tires. Sold it to a young Seal, Kid drove it from Great lakes to BUDS (San Diego) then to Team 2 in Dam Neck, Va. Not a single problem, never should have sold it to that little SOB.......not bad for a Ford. So how heavy Duty a truck are you going to do here? What gear ratio? Coil over springs......what weight? 3/4....1 ton? Transfer case and tranny? What about power plant?
    Hi Brr

Planning to 1 ton it (got them), upgrade the suspension to allow more travel, cut out front and back just under the headlights and tail lights to fit in angled winch bumpers to allow better approach and departure angles, 38" tires, 12K warn winch (got it), skid plates galore for starters. The rest would be cosmetic stuff to keep wife happy if there is any budget left over lol.
    fabbing expenses, driveshafts, coil and shock hoops, custom bumpers, skid plates, marry the front D60 to radius arms,
    interior/exterior upgrades, seats, seats in back with legal seatbelts for kids, autogauge meters, custom roof rack, drive beams - rear and side lights, audio/video system (probably use an iPad with dock built into dash), CB, dual gel batts, 1500w power inverter (got one), dc air compressor, static storage compartments for bug out supplies and guns all hidden from sight, alarm system

I have found a prospective Bronco.

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

Nice rig even without the R. What do they want for it?
    You don't need to be the strongest
    or the most intelligent to survive
    but by having the right tools and
    the adaptability of change
    is where you will prevail.

Bacon saver

Hey, man I didn't get to see the picture! Where's the picture! I can't properly make a crappy comment without a picture!...............but it sounds like you have a serious plan!
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.