Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ohio CCW law

Don't act like you aren't comfortable with him.

Ohio CCW law

Ohio is trying to pass a law that would allow people with CCW permits to carry their guns into establishments that serve alcohol (I.E. Bars, Applebees) as long as the permit holder is not drinking. Now in my opinion It's a great idea only because I know how stupid people get after they drink. I myself do not drink so it would really benefit me. Apparently we are just waiting for the Governor to sign off on it. The only down side I see in it would be if a drunk knew or saw that you were carrying and tried to obtain your weapon. If it does pass through and go into effect, I hope people don't mess it up by drinking and carrying their weapon. What does everyone else think of it? Also we supposedly have an "open carry" law in effect, but that would just cause you to get a causing panic charge or worse, because not many people know about the law.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought with, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein

Wants to know if that is a nut tool for a fire hydrant nozzle

Wisconsin has similar wording in their ccw and I'm willing to bet people will screw it up. I was always a little bothered why they'd make drinking and handgun purchases possible at the same age lol. Back in the day on the farm, a 12 year old knew what personal responsibility was and I could easily trust one back then to have a pistol. Nowadays I wouldn't trust most 30 year olds with a pellet gun.

Very large gap in levels of maturity. Just my honest opinion on the matter.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

I've lost track since we moved in March but I was under the impression the change to the carry in alcohol establishments was worded such that you could be in a restaurant that served, but not at the bar area. Usually the wording is that you can't be in an area where 51% of the revenue is from alcohol sales. The classic examples is Applebeys: you can sit in the booths, but not sit at the bar. Straight bars/corner taverns would be a no-go.

Did they change the wording recently to allow ccw into a straight bar?

If not, I'm not worried about the "drunk that sees someones gun" scenario. The law will provide the chance for responsible gun owners to go to a Chili's, Friday's, Applebys, Chapotle, Mios Pizza, etc without committing a felony.

You are right about Ohio's open carry. It's not well known in some areas and will likely result in a "man with a gun" call to the local police. Some areas are tighter than others. Go to your local Wall-Mart in suburbia a you can count on a soccer-mom freaking out.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

The actual law hasn't come out yet, I don't think. So I'm not sure on the wording or the extensiveness of the law, just yet. I Have actually had the "soccer mom" freak out, except it was at Target. My gun was hanging out (small of the back carry) and she called 911 and store security. little did they know, I had my permit and work in the LEO field, so it was a lost cause on their part. That's just the thing, if people would stop freaking out over guns, we could carry openly like in Texas. But these days you have your tree huggers (for lack of a better word) that think everyone with a gun is crazy! If we could legitimately carry our weapons openly, I would be wearing a drop leg everywhere I went! But, unfortunately we can't! Kinda depressing to me. I think if people that were allowed to wear guns openly, bad guys or goons would see that their armed and be less likely to mess with them. although, the granny in front of you at Walmart, might be carrying a .357 in her purse!! HAHAHA, I would feel sorry for the poor jerk that messed with her, imagine telling that one to your buddies in jail!
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought with, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Did quick research this morning. Toothpick is right. The proposed law is cow in any class D liquor establishment.

Sorry about that. I guess I really quit paying attention when we got the word to move.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Hopefully this will push for more reasonable gun laws, and more reasonable open carry laws! Although, I'm sure something will happen or people will protest and it will all get screwed up! more than likely it will be a tree hugger peace/love group, or a big named church. god forbid we do something to piss those people off! I'm more worried about those freaks than I am when I'm walking around a room full of murderers!

The hot sexy one

I am confused, toothpick. There is no law preventing open carry in Ohio. You can carry in the dropleg holster. The open carry becomes ccw when in vehicle or on motorcycle. You still have to honor no gun signs.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

TS, I think he was just refering to the bar carry, besides, you carry open around here and you could get hit with "Inducing Panic" Toothpick is just itching to carry in to Applebbees and sit at the bar like a cowboy.....lol. (and now I sit waiting for the phone to ring)
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

The hot sexy one

Quote Originally Posted by LUNCHBOX View Post
    TS, I think he was just refering to the bar carry, besides, you carry open around here and you could get hit with "Inducing Panic" Toothpick is just itching to carry in to Applebbees and sit at the bar like a cowboy.....lol. (and now I sit waiting for the phone to ring)
    Hell, I will sit with him........Inducing panic requires an offense to be valid, you have to commit a crime before being convicted of inducing panic

Crotch Rocket

You kind of answered than one yourself though, TS. You have to commit a crime to be convicted for it, but that hasn't stopped the un/miseducated and/or anti-OC LEO's of numerous states from arresting proponents for it anyway. Not that I'm saying this of TOOTHPICK, but the fears over loss of time, monetary expense, and the associated social stigma are enough to dissuade many people from "carrying" (if you can excuse the pun) the ownership and bearing of firearms back into a mainstream activity.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!