Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ENO Hammocks

Crotch Rocket

ENO Hammocks

I was just window shopping at my local Gander Mountain this morning, and ran across one of these. I'm curious if anyone has any experience with them because the small packed size will fit in my Versipack, and would seriously improve my quality of life from that bag.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I'll most likely shit myself

The wife got me one for my birthday last year. My plan is to use it in my GHB. I work 35 miles from home and know that I will likely have at least 1 night to lay up on the way home.
    Like you mentioned, the package is small and light. They also make a rain fly to use with it. I think that would be lighter and more packable than a tarp. I'm hoping that it fills the bill for me.

Crotch Rocket

Not only the rainfly, but it looks like they've got the components needed to make it a 3-4 season setup. Of course, while that'd make it bulkier than my little GHB could handle, it gives me some ideas for my BOB. Then again, if I get into the couple hundred it would take for that setup, I might as well just get one of the Hennesy's I've been drooling over for a couple years.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Has been known to look at Izzy's trunk. Stares at the junk in Izzy's trunk. Get it...he's checking out Izzy's trunk.

Hammocks are a nice luxory item to have should one be in need, but my concern is in a bug out or get home situation whoever is sleeping in a hammock becomes a nice target for anyone that happens by. Personally i would rather hunker down out of sight and deal with being uncomfortable.
    “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.” ~ G.K. Chesterton

Kodiak you make a good point unless you can concel inside a dense patch of undergrowth.
    I think where the hammock would really shine would be in really wet conditions with standing water and falling rain/snow. Just to get you up out of the soup. Concelment would be a huge priority however.

Crotch Rocket

Concealment, imo, is a priority in a limited set of circumstances, which don't even encompass every evacuation event, let alone every emergency/ disaster. I believe a person's only hurting themselves in the end if they select gear/ make decisions within tight limits. Abraham Maslow said it best:
    If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    Read more: Abraham Maslow Quotes - BrainyQuote
    Yes, I'll be putting this in my GHB, but that bag is also EDC, and I'll use its contents whenever possible or needed, which isn't always for emergencies. While its possible I may need it to get home during an emergency, its more probable I'll want to kick back on a riverbank while fishing this summer , and very calming to know that my preparations have improved the quality of my daily life. Having gear we use regularly, and know well, will often be of more benefit than a skill or tool we rarely use or need.

Just my thoughts on that matter.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Premium Member

I have an ENO, I have to get a rainfly/bug net for mine, I went with the khaki/olive colors for obvious reasons. But at the size of a softball, it takes up no space at all. I also confiscated my old man's Vietnam era hammock.

Hey Tet glad to see you in here.
    MI I agree every time SHTF is not a all out tryin to avoid contact at all cost situation. There are certain times I wouldn't use the hammock, but for everyone of those situations I can think of 5 where I would.
    They don't provide the protection of a tent, but are lighter, even with the fly. I also think you could get out of it and into a fight/flight mode quicker than in a tent as well.
    All that said it's not a be all end all thing but it has it's practical uses and if being able to relax every now and then is one of them, that's nothing but a good thing in my mind.

Crotch Rocket

Sorry, I forgot to clarify that I like to keep as many options as possible - including concealable options, which is why I either own, can make , or plan to own everything from components for expedient shelter, to tents, to (eventually) a camper and a retreat cabin. This is but one more tier in a progressive plan for me.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by mitunnelrat View Post
    Sorry, I forgot to clarify that I like to keep as many options as possible - including concealable options, which is why I either own, can make , or plan to own everything from components for expedient shelter, to tents, to (eventually) a camper and a retreat cabin. This is but one more tier in a progressive plan for me.

That's a good plan. I want to buy a truck tent for my vehicle. I also have a 2 man tent. I want a small popup camper or a smallish camper of some sort as well. I like camping a lot, so it would be dual purpose