Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to take on a 30+ day cruise?

Give him a home, where the buffalo roam, and they make "wood" for his cookin fires all day

What to take on a 30+ day cruise?

well. What would ya take?

Crotch Rocket

A refund

Seriously though, I personally see a cruise as a time to decompress and allow yourself to relax. Its my understanding cruise ships are very well prepared to handle most emergencies they would experience, so the same cares and concerns I would have in many other places simply wouldn't apply. They're a shelter in and of themselves, are well stocked with food, have ample water and sanitation systems. They even have on board police/security and medical facilities.

I'd recommend money, a good camera, and whatever clothing you'd feel you need.

If you still feel a need to prep for emergencies, I'd recommend learning what systems they have in place, what restrictions they have on personal property, and determine what you could take that falls within their rules while being outside of their own coverage. Bet there won't be much.
    Last edited by mitunnelrat; 10-14-2011 at 10:05 PM.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

The source of all known trouble in the universe

What's the cruise about? 30-day cruise isn't a regular cruise.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

If your limited to a certain number of carry-ons you may be hit. If you can do it though maybe a small assortment of survival items in a small bag you could strap on (firestarters, emergency blankets, multitool, you get the idea) so not to lose it if you went swimming. I'm not saying/jinxing you but then again I don't care so much for the no land in sight thing.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Where's the epi?

Quote Originally Posted by RedJohn View Post
    What's the cruise about? 30-day cruise isn't a regular cruise.
    I would think one that long would be going maybe to Europe?

For the Love of Cats

My wife an I are planning a 2 week cruise, so this has been on my mind for a while already...

Quote Originally Posted by mitunnelrat View Post
    ... are well stocked with food, have ample water and sanitation systems.

Actually... a friend works for Carnival cruise lines, and they generally have enough food on board for 2-3 days... basically one extra day more than their next expected port of call. They will have some emergency stuff, and possibly enough to give everyone on board something beyond what they were expecting, but after that you are SOL. So personally, I would (and will be) take food with me. some dehydrated stuff and some power bars, prob some gateraid powder, some dried veggies and nuts. WHile I am on the ship I would be sneaking stuff back to the room from different meals, and rotate it out as necessary. They do have desalinators, so as long as they have power there will be water, but if there is an EMP type event, then that's gone too, So I would also be taking water bottles back to my room

Where's the epi?

Remember last year or so when that ship got stranded in the Gulf and everyone got stuck eating PB&J and bologna and were so mad about it? I think I'm with sniper-t about bringing/stashing food along the way...maybe bring zip lock baggies with you to store whatever you take back to your room? Don't know if they have fridges in the rooms? Never been on a ship yet.

Crotch Rocket

Never been myself, and never plan to be, but I did totally forget about that, and admit that I think you two are spot on now that you've mentioned it.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Quote Originally Posted by Dropy View Post
    well. What would ya take?
    A metric shitpile of drugs to distract me from the fact I am.........on a boat.....for 30 days.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

LOTS of Phenagren.......and some Immodium.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.