PDA

View Full Version : What have you done to prep this week?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16

bacpacker
10-21-2014, 11:31 AM
Too bad we weren't all born wealthy. It would make what we do so much easier.

AlphaTea
10-21-2014, 03:47 PM
Getting the pup "tutored" today
http://rs815.pbsrc.com/albums/zz71/AlphaTea/Mobile%20Uploads/tutored1.png~320x480?t=1413905746

bacpacker
10-21-2014, 11:35 PM
Co pilot huh? :)

AlphaTea
10-22-2014, 03:20 AM
Co pilot huh? :)
Yea, he has a car seat, seat belt etc. The back seat is a virtual doggy playground.
He came through the "tutoring" alright. I think he is a little upset. He keeps showing me his boo boo.
He's my little buddy.

robsdak
10-22-2014, 04:19 AM
where is that dirty girl you know... she'll expedite the itch!

other things to do than get that kind of 'itch'. :) besides, i am in the 'thinking of me' time of my life. there was plenty of that going on when i was younger and i am for sure there will be plenty after i stop being 'selfish'. i am planning a fishing trip with a nice little preacher's daughter. just waiting on the weather to get right. Crappie are bigger in the cooler months here. i take pics.

today i added a case 24 cans of Spam, canned veggies. yummy! i did get a two new folders Ontario Utilitac and Utilitac ll knives. i will do a review on them in the future. so far i am liking them and worth the price.

robsdak
10-22-2014, 04:28 AM
Too bad we weren't all born wealthy. It would make what we do so much easier.

don't really want to be wealthy... just have enough to be comfortable.

AlphaTea
10-27-2014, 04:47 PM
Bought some 1911 mags.
Rocco now knows sit, shake, laydown, fetch, come. having some issues with speak. He's so small, 4 lbs, he sounds like a squeeky toy.

izzyscout21
10-29-2014, 12:41 AM
SO after it was said and done, I replaced the timing belt, timing belt cover, timing belt cover gasket, oil pan gasket, left front motor mount, alternator belt, valve cover gasket, hood rod, and hood rod clip.

There's still a huge crack in my exhaust manifold causing my O2 sensor to go nuts. I've got a racing manifold sitting here ready to bolt on.
I also have a new A/C system here just begging to be installed. I've not had air in several years, so I'm looking forward to that.

new tires went on a few days before the fire.

bacpacker
10-29-2014, 01:13 AM
Glad you got it running.

Sniper-T
10-29-2014, 01:14 AM
gotta post up some pics of this whole process Izzy!

I am currently working 16+ hours/day on process improvement for my employer, in effort to sustain my job.... And Bank time off... and get paid stupid amounts of overtime!

ak474u
10-29-2014, 01:54 AM
Neighbor 1 street over killed a rattlesnake in their garage Sunday night, and another neighbor same street stepped on a 4" or so rattler while walking a dog, so I've been getting my lumber piles up off the ground, and cutting the scrap for kindling to use this weekend when we have the neighbors over for a campfire after trick or treating. Also did a garage sale last weekend and got rid of tons of unwanted crap to make room for additional organization. The snake thing isn't good, my almost 5 y/o son is fearless, and Im not always out back to supervise.

Sniper-T
10-29-2014, 01:59 AM
relax! they taste like kitten!...

Stormfeather
10-29-2014, 02:07 AM
Shipped the oldest son off to boot camp. . .

Sharpened some knives. . .

Continued planning on something BIG. . . . ( even all you folks here will appreciate it once I reveal my Pinky & the Brain Revelation! )

Setting up the Pantry in the oldest sons room who just left for Boot Camp.

Spent all day walking around the house naked since the kid isnt here anymore, it felt GREAT! Going to try and talk Dragonfly into sneaking into his room tonight and doing a lil horizontal mambo on his bed before I break it down for packing it away.

ElevenBravo
10-29-2014, 09:37 PM
Nothing.

Well, I did some work on a video project of mine... something Ive been wanting to do for YEARS! Being able to do multi-cam recording and keep the audio from one track, and sync it to all videos... I hope to have an example soon.

EB

Willie51
10-31-2014, 02:58 AM
Got a few more N-100 masks, surgical masks, and gloves into today from Amazon for my Obama Ebola box. Ordered some shelf stable boxed milk to try out. Picked up two more aluminum water bottles on sale at Sports Authority for $5. ea. (reg $15.) for BOB.

robsdak
10-31-2014, 06:55 PM

Spent all day walking around the house naked since the kid isnt here anymore, it felt GREAT! Going to try and talk Dragonfly into sneaking into his room tonight and doing a lil horizontal mambo on his bed before I break it down for packing it away.

isn't nice to be nekkid around the house? shit, i am apt to walk around the backyard nekkid and check on my bees. 6' privacy fence, calm down folks. i am assuming Dragonfly is the wife? CARRY ON SIR! :)

nothing really this week.... well continuing to help set up a buddies shop, power tools, work table, welders...

ElevenBravo
10-31-2014, 09:55 PM
Havent done it yet, but the weeks not over yet! Taking daughter to shoot at my buddys private range. Were taking a few X39 rounds and the SKS to focus hard on rifle marksmanship.

Trigger squeeze, breathing, sight picture, etc.. Shes already pretty damn good, but no sense letting a perishable skill... perish, and... there is ALWAYS room for improvement, no matter how good you are!

Gonna run the SKS because its an easy top loader and dont have to mess with mags, its a straight and reliable shooter, and its just a halla gun!

Were also going to focus hard on shooting positions: standing, kneeling, sitting, cross leg, squatted and prone.

If I give her her AK she tends to squeeze the trigger pretty fast! HA HA! Oh, and were going to work on fire control (*NOT* shooting as fast as you can, but rather hit with each round... this is where steel targets are INVALUABLE!!)

EB

ElevenBravo
11-01-2014, 10:26 PM
Well, just got back from the range a few hours ago... cold, windy and damp... but no time was lost nor was the trip wasted.

Daughter and I shot the Sig P320 and SKS with focus on marksmanship, sight picture, etc.. also trying to eliminate residual flintch.

I must be a weirdo, I am almost certian I can shoot my P250 DAO a *lot* better than my P320 striker!!
I *may* be letting the 320 go and put the funds toward another 250 (daughter is turning 18 soon, and wants to open carry). Its not just me either... Daughter also shoots the P250 better! She actually prefers it.

Also, while we were there, we ended up being the only ones left... There was only one other group and they left about 45 min after we got there... Anywho, we did a big brass pickup, added a measurable lump to the brass bucket! The brass bucket is almost half full now! Of course we got our own brass, but we also picked up all other brass too! Scored the following: 270,38,9,380,223 and 45!!

Glad we got outside!
EB

helomech
11-02-2014, 01:20 AM
I love having friends come over to my house to shoot. My only rule is I get to keep all the brass.

Domeguy
11-02-2014, 11:10 PM

Continued planning on something BIG. . . . ( even all you folks here will appreciate it once I reveal my Pinky & the Brain Revelation! )

Setting up the Pantry in the oldest sons room who just left for Boot Camp.

I think this falls under the category of way to much information

Domeguy
11-02-2014, 11:18 PM
I decided to get the three kids (25, 28, 30) things to go into a BOB for each of their family. Sofar, just starting with the basics, fire starting kits, shaved AL, emergency Mylar blankets, P51( or what ever they are called) can openers, batteries, flashlights, etc.

Willie51
11-03-2014, 12:49 PM
I decided to get the three kids (25, 28, 30) things to go into a BOB for each of their family. Sofar, just starting with the basics, fire starting kits, shaved AL, emergency Mylar blankets, P51( or what ever they are called) can openers, batteries, flashlights, etc.

We sat down yesterday and started on our family Christmas gift list. We're doing something similar, but since my younger son and his wife who is a nurse already have their BOBs and GHBs, we're getting them a starter emergency food storage kit. Not sure which one, but looking at some on ES to order.

Stormfeather
11-03-2014, 04:05 PM
Did another forced march with an asston of weight, HH6 didnt accompany me this time though.

25984 steps, which equals out to 12,5 miles for me.

ElevenBravo
11-03-2014, 07:08 PM
SF, you counted each step?!?! HAHA J/K

grabagun had the Sig P250 full size in .45 for $412, so I sold my SKS to get it. :-)

EB

Sniper-T
11-03-2014, 11:27 PM
I would guess it comes from a soldier thing, but even myself, when I am in hunting, I count my steps almost subconsciously. When the map/chart comes out, I know I went 400 paces down that ridgeline, and then 779 going around that swamp, then 600 across that clearing... add in a few directions, and I know where I am and where I need to go. I guess growing up with a map and compass instead of a gps will do that for ya! Sounds like a good hike Stormy... Trudge on, my friend!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I am clearing up a huge mess at work, so I can take some holidays and do a little hunting and a little writing.

And... indirectly, I put 1/2 a 5x5 buck into my freezer. my buddy got one yesterday, and half is mine. Will try to get some pics before butchering.

Stormfeather
11-04-2014, 03:24 AM
yep, Im a step counter, its almost addicting, and very ADHD/OCD of me, but its kind of ingrained from the Marines, just one of those leftover habits I cant shake.

mitunnelrat
11-04-2014, 03:50 PM
I did that for a long time too, but not in a useful way. I always restarted after an 8 count! Lol

Sadly, I have not much else to contribute. All I've done this past week is take a 4 day vacation and relax.

AlphaTea
11-04-2014, 05:57 PM
5 more 1911 mags
2 Sawyer filters for GHBs

ElevenBravo
11-04-2014, 10:56 PM
Getting ready to put daughter a P250 FS 45 on lay a way....
EB

mitunnelrat
11-07-2014, 11:29 PM
Built and placed 9 more ground level garden boxes for berries and corn next year. Five more of those, and four 4x8's to go. I'm definitely gonna be busy mixing soil again.

We're also starting to plan our irrigation system since those are the last of the boxes

ElevenBravo
11-07-2014, 11:52 PM
Ordered a Lee Loader in .45... The new Sigs aint gonna be cheap to feed.

EB

ak474u
11-08-2014, 03:29 AM
Built and placed 9 more ground level garden boxes for berries and corn next year. Five more of those, and four 4x8's to go. I'm definitely gonna be busy mixing soil again.

We're also starting to plan our irrigation system since those are the last of the boxes

I've gotta get started on next year's new boxes. I've got about 200 maters on the vine right now, and we're supposed to have highs in the 40s next week. Hope I'm not picking bushels of green tomatoes again before first freeze this year like last.

mitunnelrat
11-08-2014, 05:43 PM
That is one problem we didn't have. All of our tomatoes came on at a good time. Beans, however... I just pulled my brussel sprouts though. Hopefully they keep in the fridge until I have time to blanch and freeze them

ak474u
11-09-2014, 01:14 AM
That is one problem we didn't have. All of our tomatoes came on at a good time. Beans, however... I just pulled my brussel sprouts though. Hopefully they keep in the fridge until I have time to blanch and freeze them

These are all plants that didn't produce well all summer, but I kept them because I had several breeds that did this last year. My super producers are still making strong. I've gotten probably 1500 orange cherry tomatoes off of ONE plant, and over 1000 red cherries about the size of a quarter off another. All of the breeds that are making right now are heirloom, and I'd read they may make late or not at all. I've got black prince, black Krim, Cherokee purples, Arkansas travelers, lemon boy, etc etc that are all going nuts. It figures my best production would be the week before first freeze. Stupid murphy.

bacpacker
11-09-2014, 01:33 AM
AK are you saving seed from any of you maters? I've never saw orange cherry tomatoes. Where did you get your seed?

ak474u
11-09-2014, 02:33 AM
AK are you saving seed from any of you maters? I've never saw orange cherry tomatoes. Where did you get your seed?

This is the ONLY plant I don't have the ID tag for. We bought most of our plants this year, and we had a surprise late freeze in late March that forced me to dig up, and move every single plant inside. I lost the tag on this one. I'm in the process of drying some seeds for this particular one because it's done so well. (I got 75 cherries the size of a nickel today alone). The cool nights are slowing this one down, I usually have at least 20 a day but I had to wait a little longer for these to turn yellow.

ak474u
11-09-2014, 03:08 AM
This is the ONLY plant I don't have the ID tag for. We bought most of our plants this year, and we had a surprise late freeze in late March that forced me to dig up, and move every single plant inside. I lost the tag on this one. I'm in the process of drying some seeds for this particular one because it's done so well. (I got 75 cherries the size of a nickel today alone). The cool nights are slowing this one down, I usually have at least 20 a day but I had to wait a little longer for these to turn yellow.

Update: I had forgotten that there is a second plant that still has a tag, I walked up to the garden and found it. It's a "Sungold" Cherry tomato.

bacpacker
11-09-2014, 02:58 PM
I will try and find some of those. Thanks for the update.

Willie51
11-09-2014, 11:47 PM
We just got a Harbor Freight here and they had their grand opening this weekend. Picked up few items for our BOBs & GHBs: magnesium fire starter blocks, work gloves, head lamps ($2.99 each), 7'x9' camo tarps ($3.99), machetes ($5.00), bungee, zip tie assortment, & carrabiners.

Stormfeather
11-10-2014, 02:46 AM
Picked up a SOG FASTHAWK Tomhawk and Khurki for $20 each at WalMart. . . who knew!?! Its this one. . . but its in stock at my local WalMart for $20! http://www.walmart.com/ip/SOG-Tomahawk-with-Nylon-Sheath/13228609

ElevenBravo
11-10-2014, 11:29 PM
1) Daughter's full size Sig P250 .45 was put on layaway
2) Just picked up *my* Sig P250 full size in 45, will shoot this weekend, OMG this thing is sweet!
3) My Lee Loader for .45 came today, I already have Power Pistol and large primers, need boolets and were set to reload!

EB

helomech
11-11-2014, 12:34 AM
Academy carries reloading supplies now. They don't carry powder, but they carry everything else.

ElevenBravo
11-11-2014, 01:40 AM
Ill check them out Helo, thanks... I just found the powder dipper did not equate to Power Pistol, so I ordered a used but like new Lee Safety scale off ebay for $15.

My Sportsmans Warehouse is where I got my powder, and they have one box of boolets as I type but the bank ran dry and Ill have to wait to get them... 250 for $40 or so.. I try and buy what I can there since my retired military ID gets me 10% off!

Also, daughter and I played with the Lee Loader. We deprimed a few cases. I can see I need to get some case lube, it was tight on the resize. I also need a tumbler I reckon... Ill be doing small batches (as you can tell by getting the Loader kit, ha ha!).

Would the vinager/dawn/salt/ whatever method be satisfactory???
As seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8vJ7MiHAuI

Thanks,
EB

helomech
11-11-2014, 02:21 AM
Do you have carbide dies? If not please use case lube. Get the hornady spray on lube, much easier to use. Oh and don't go with the dippers, use a scale please.

You don't need a tumbler, your brass will just be ugly. I loaded for years without a tumbler, just could not handle the ugly brass anymore.

ElevenBravo
11-11-2014, 02:28 AM
Thanks for the info bro...

Dies? What stinkin' dies?

I got the Lee Classic Loader...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noFKV8S6cnQ

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/246418/lee-classic-loader-45-acp

Reloading on the shoe string cheap bro!

I forgot to mention, I just got a pocket cleaner and a debur tool, both are Lee, both to the door for about $8 with shipping. Gotta love ebay. :-0

EB

helomech
11-11-2014, 03:06 AM
Yeah, I don't think that is carbide. You really need to use lube, or you will get one stuck and never get it out.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
11-12-2014, 01:53 AM
That just got way too many steps for me, bang bang, tap tap, ok it might be cheaper but.........if you like it, run with it. Just to much time to make one "boolet" I do so love my one armed bandit though. Rock on Brother.

ElevenBravo
11-12-2014, 02:40 AM
In a couple of weeks I hope to have one of these:
http://leeprecision.com/reloader-press.html

and.. some dies.

When my scale gets here, I want to work on making some powder dippers out of spent .22lr brass, some rod and solder... Different powders have different volume, so the dipper that came with my kit wont work for Power Pistol, only a few that are listed.

EB

cwconnertx
11-13-2014, 02:06 AM
I bought an RV, class B dodge, older model. I plan to outfit it with solar electric system, and some other goodies to become the bug out vehicle.

Its everything I was looking for except 4 wheel drive, but those are just not practical for the price I was willing to pay, or had other disadvantages.

I wanted:
Generator
Shower
4 wheel drive
Older before too many electronics and emissions exempt (25 years old)

I could not find one with all of that, and I put the other priorities higher than 4 wheel drive, I will buy some tire chains, install a rear locker and winch, and use good judgement

It is essentially a one ton dodge van.

After belts, hoses, maintenance, etc:

First step is installing the solar system (200-300 watts solar panels, 2000 watt inverter (up to 4000 watts for 5 minutes), charge controller, and generator auto start, 400 amp hour batteries if they will fit but as close as possible

Next will be the rear locker, unless I find something else that I have to have a detroit locker is my preference.

Then, winch, grill guard, and misc

I have 2800 I can spend to make the upgrades, so step 1 and 2 are possible shortly, the rest will wait a bit. I plan to use it instead of staying in hotels at my remote office location. I can park it anywhere a van goes, and spend my 500 a month I would spend on hotels on this instead. I expect to get back my money on it in less than two years and after that its all gravy and I have a nice bug out or bug home vehicle.

ak474u
11-13-2014, 03:22 PM
Well, the produce department out back is closed for the year. It actually sleeted here north of Dallas for about 30 minutes last night. Luckily, I fought the remnants of a GI virus that my son had last week, and was nice enough to share with me long enough to pick the green tomatoes. Between cherry, and regular sized I got just over 700 picked. Now I'm separating the ones going into green salsa, and chow chow from the ones I'm trying to ripen in newspaper. Got about a pound of black beans, and enough purple green beans for a decent dinner. Got a few cerrano peppers, and some poblanos as well. My 4 year old snaked my 1/2 pound of raspberries I picked the other night before I could get them indoors. Melon beds are cleaned out and put in the compost bins, onion and tater beds are covered in plastic to kill the weeds, and next week I'm gonna get the other beds cleaned out. I already have a pile of tomato plants pulled up about 6x6x4 high and im not even getting started good on that.

Edit: did some tree trimming the other day on the oak trees out front. Lots of small branches to get rid of, so I'm going to cut them up a little more and start working on a hugelkulture bed. We'll see how that works.

bacpacker
11-13-2014, 03:57 PM
Really nice late harvest.

ak474u
11-13-2014, 04:20 PM
Really nice late harvest.

It was ok, the Armenian cucumbers weren't ready enough to pick, and my okra wasn't either. I rolled the dice on those and lost with a late planting, but it was worth a shot. I thought I had about 200 maters total, man was I wrong. Lol. I tried to abandon some of them, and wife insisted that I get my unemployed butt out there and pick the rest.

Stormfeather
11-14-2014, 12:30 AM
Its been a busy week here at the Stormfeather household.

Set up wife appointment for MEPS for the Navy Reserve.
Set up a BOB for my buddy visiting from California.
Filled out LLC Paperwork
Sent Incorporation paperwork into the state
In the process of finalizing my EIN
Started my ATF Class 6 License
Helped my business partner who flew out from California put an offer on 50 acres right down the road from me
started the business paperwork with the local bank for the accounts
purchased the domain name www.HadesArmament.com

Next up, finalizing the purchase of the five Camdex Ammunition Loading Machines.

Guess who is now the VP of a Ammunition Manufacturing Corporation with two thumbs?

<<<<----- This Guy

And yes, all of you will be getting "Friends & Family Discount Pricing". :) Will be posting the details here in a bit.

bacpacker
11-14-2014, 12:33 AM
Well Stormy, that just sounds awesome. I hope the buiseness takes off for you.

helomech
11-14-2014, 02:18 AM
Awesome Storm, looking forward to doing business with you.

robsdak
11-14-2014, 04:06 AM
Awesome Storm, looking forward to doing business with you.

same here...

XxJACOBxX
11-14-2014, 02:45 PM
Sounds great Storm.

eagle326
11-14-2014, 10:18 PM
Small town Ohio boy going big time. Go hell bent for leather Stormy and succeed big brother. :cool:

realist
11-15-2014, 01:13 PM
Storm nothing like jumping in with both feet. Camdex is a great machine, I would like to have just one. Are you going to be able to get powder, that is a problem out here. Good luck on the new business, I hope it goes well for you. I had a great time when I was in the business but out here on the left coast the regulations got too strict and I shut it down.

ak474u
11-16-2014, 07:25 PM
First batch of green tomato salsa is in the water bath right now. Actually, with the exception of pickles I've done one jar at a time, this is the first batch of anything I've ever canned. Crossing fingers.

ElevenBravo
11-16-2014, 09:12 PM
Storm, let us know when the biz is live so we can look to do business with yall...
EB

robsdak
11-17-2014, 12:03 AM
AK. buddy, don't be down, your doing better than me. i have yet to take the step forward. maybe next year will be a Canning Year for me. :)

as for this week: i Finally got the garden tilled. looking to plant in a week or so. i know i am late for a winter garden, but my my winter isn't like most. cool and doable.

Sniper-T
11-18-2014, 11:09 AM
Got the garage cleaned up for the wife's car, some misc. stuff put away from in front of the garage to make snow removal a little easier. Got the lawn tractor serviced and ready to go away... In general just battening down the hatches for the next 5 month deep freeze!

realist
11-20-2014, 04:57 PM
Got the garden ready for my winter starts. We are going to be planting asparagus this year and I want the garden ready. We also processed 100 pomegranates a while back and have a gallon of juice we are going to make a bunch of jelly this weekend.

Sniper-T
11-20-2014, 05:29 PM
How red are your fingers. lol

How do you extract the juice from the berries?

helomech
11-20-2014, 05:57 PM
My wife made beauty berry jelly the other day and it came out pretty good. We have thousands of beauty berry plants on our property. I am working over for 6 days of overtime so that I can pay cash for a wood burning stove.

Caveman Survival
11-20-2014, 07:14 PM
How red are your fingers. lol

How do you extract the juice from the berries?

When I juice berries I use a food mill, it separates the pulp out and leaves the rest for jam and jelly goodness.

ak474u
11-20-2014, 10:17 PM
Got the garden ready for my winter starts. We are going to be planting asparagus this year and I want the garden ready. We also processed 100 pomegranates a while back and have a gallon of juice we are going to make a bunch of jelly this weekend.

Mine haven't made yet. They're pretty plants, but no fruit. The nursery lady said probably next year.

- - - Updated - - -

I've got lots of tomatoes starting to ripen in the crates wrapped in newspaper. I think I counted 15 ripe today. Only about 300 to go. Second batch of green salsa this weekend since we're looking at rain rain and rain.

ElevenBravo
11-20-2014, 10:21 PM
Started reading Lee's book on reloading, very educational! Getting ready for next month's order of press and die.. wont have the extra money till then...

EB

bacpacker
11-21-2014, 02:17 AM
AK glad the newspaper trick is working. Ripe maters are good when its freezing out.

Sniper-T
11-21-2014, 02:06 PM
If you toss a ripe banana in with the tomatoes, it'll help with the ripening process too.

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2086346_ripen-tomato-banana.html

ElevenBravo
11-22-2014, 12:22 AM
Got the GS-1500 powder scale and 600 primers... 300 large pistol and 300 small pistol. Thats all the extra scratch I have for this paycheck...

Im getting excited at all this stuff coming together, cant wait to reload with a press!!

EB

bacpacker
11-22-2014, 12:44 AM
For the maters, don't use aplles or bannannas unless you want them all ripe close together for canning. Going on their on, they are much more staggered for fresh eating. All depends on their use.

Vodin
11-22-2014, 07:56 PM
Went to Sam's and picked up about 50 5 gallon buckets with lids for free. Every time I go now I visit the bakery and ask for 5 5 gallon buckets square or round with lids. They give me the food grade (used) buckets and I take them home and wash them out. Gonna plant plants and hang the buckets out on the porch. Got a bunch though more than what I will be needing for planting. It only costs your time and a smile :)

ak474u
11-22-2014, 09:18 PM
Canned gold tomato salsa this afternoon, it's pretty tasty.

mitunnelrat
11-23-2014, 04:30 PM
Canned 25 quarts of spaghetti sauce, got my indoor wood boxes filled, and otherwise just chilled on the edge of a field watching deer. I haven't had any come within range of my smooth bore shotgun yet, and my muzzleloader still needs to be zeroed. Only a week more until I'm resricted to it, so I need to get on that.

Caveman Survival
11-23-2014, 05:18 PM
Made 20 quarts and 20 pints of boil and serve homemade 'instant' hamburger soups (gawd I love my dehydrator.) instant chicken soup is on the docket for the upcoming week. I wish I didn't lose my tomato plants this year or I would have thrown tomato soups into the mix as well.

ElevenBravo
11-24-2014, 02:47 AM
Sold my Mosin and P320 tonight, turned part of the money over toward 9mm and 357/38 dies and a Perfect Powder measure, I also rolled the dice on some once fired brass, 300 .45 and 100 9mm... Rest of the money flops over to Xmas. I dont want anything for myself, Ive already bought Xmas and Im good with that.... I could tell someone exactly what I want and still get the wrong thing, so I usually just do my own and let wife and daughter get me a hoodie and socks or something.

If I can sell my 88 pump Ill put that toward a wet tumbler and SST media, that would be nice!

I think Ill have everything Ill need to reload once all the stuff arrives, other than more bullets Im good to go.

I think Im gonna chink off $50 of the cash on hand a get more primers and a new caliper, went back to my shop yesterday and the other jug of Power Pistol was gone, I was hoping to get it!!

EB

Vodin
11-25-2014, 09:14 PM
Picked up some used planting pots from a construction sit (Asked 1st and was given the OK), got 5 more 5 gallon pails from Sam's and picked up 2 Halloween bales of straw to use in the garden.

realist
11-26-2014, 02:51 AM
Well we got the pomegranate juice done. The first batch of six pints didn't jell soooooo when something like that happens we now have syrup for pancakes and ice cream.........or so I thought. Well it turns out it makes regular margaritas into pomegranate margaritas. Did you know you can make pomegranate martinis? Okay so back to the jelly, we ended up with 6 pints jars and 18 half pint jars. So things turned out real well an it tastes great.

Picked the last of the heirloom tomatoes. We had a frost today so I figure most of the cherry tomatoes are done. We still have a bunch of small artichokes we are going to can.

The neighbor has a bunch of quince that I got permission to pick. I figure we should get between 20 to 25 pints. I'll let you know how it turns out.

ak474u
11-26-2014, 03:04 AM
Well we got the pomegranate juice done. The first batch of six pints didn't jell soooooo when something like that happens we now have syrup for pancakes and ice cream.........or so I thought. Well it turns out it makes regular margaritas into pomegranate margaritas. Did you know you can make pomegranate martinis? Okay so back to the jelly, we ended up with 6 pints jars and 18 half pint jars. So things turned out real well an it tastes great.

Picked the last of the heirloom tomatoes. We had a frost today so I figure most of the cherry tomatoes are done. We still have a bunch of small artichokes we are going to can.

The neighbor has a bunch of quince that I got permission to pick. I figure we should get between 20 to 25 pints. I'll let you know how it turns out.

When life gives you lemons, add vodka. Lol

Sniper-T
11-26-2014, 09:30 AM

Quince??? Never even heard of that... had to google. Sounds interesting.

ElevenBravo
11-27-2014, 03:05 AM
My once fired brass came in today, 300 45 and 100 9.

Got all the 45 sized, decapped and belled... waiting on my powder measure before I load them, trickeling powder for 50 rounds sucks ass enough as it is!

My 9 dies are due to arrive Friday.

Bank is bust right now, esp with xmas, been looking at plated FMJ and will try them to save a few bux..

EB

Vodin
11-30-2014, 01:42 AM
Pressure canned 16 jars of turkey broth.

ak474u
11-30-2014, 01:47 PM
We canned a dozen 1/2 pints of cranberry sauce. It was just the 2 of us and the boy this year for thanksgiving, so we cooked up 3 pounds of cranberries, canned the majority of it, and ate the rest.

bacpacker
11-30-2014, 11:14 PM
The wifemade that for the first time last year. Never had any commercial that was near as good.

ak474u
12-01-2014, 01:05 AM
The wifemade that for the first time last year. Never had any commercial that was near as good.

This recipe used whole cranberries, and we followed the recipe out of the Ball cookbook. Didn't use any pectin, and I'm noticing that it didn't set like jelly. It's not a big deal, we can heat it before eating and let it thicken, but it does seem like the moisture content is a little higher than expected.

bacpacker
12-01-2014, 01:30 AM
Not sure where her reciepe came from. Google fu IIRC. Yours dounds about like ours turned out. I think shole berries make a big difference. I bet fresh would be great. I dont mind a little liquid from mine, just blends the flavors a little more.

We took a week and got away for a bit. Its been three years for much time away and relaxing a little. Got in some hiking, a little running around and a lot of sitting around a fire. Got home today and gonna start on the new grape arbor tomorrow.
Have picked up a bunch of old files and rasps plus a set of tongs. I also got two brake drums so I'm about ready to start the forge build.

Sniper-T
12-01-2014, 07:27 PM
We canned a dozen 1/2 pints of cranberry sauce. It was just the 2 of us and the boy this year for thanksgiving, so we cooked up 3 pounds of cranberries, canned the majority of it, and ate the rest.

I froze about 3 gallons of cranberries that I picked this fall. usually do that and then grab a cup or two and make the sauce when I need it. Never occured to me to buy canned cranberry sauce. lol

- - - Updated - - -

.... I also got two brake drums so I'm about ready to start the forge build.

Take lotsa pics, I want to see this progression

Stormfeather
12-01-2014, 10:03 PM
Been out of town on "business" and just got back, looks like its time to play catch-up with stuff. Got to field test some gear and found what did/didnt work.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/Strmfeathr/OK-volunteers-talk-from-roof-to-foof-in-Ferguson1_zps33baa007.jpg (http://s95.photobucket.com/user/Strmfeathr/media/OK-volunteers-talk-from-roof-to-foof-in-Ferguson1_zps33baa007.jpg.html)

Vodin
12-01-2014, 11:13 PM
This recipe used whole cranberries, and we followed the recipe out of the Ball cookbook. Didn't use any pectin, and I'm noticing that it didn't set like jelly. It's not a big deal, we can heat it before eating and let it thicken, but it does seem like the moisture content is a little higher than expected.

My wife states that it needs to sit for a little while to firm up. We were in the same mindset last year but when we recently opened a can up and it has an perfect consistency.

ElevenBravo
12-08-2014, 11:35 PM
My 300 brass of 357 came today! Deprimed them, cant bell the neck yet, dont have boolets. Duh!

Ive never had more than 50 rounds of 357 at one time to shoo due to excessive price tag! Love the caliber, love the weapon, too poor to shoot it.... Until Mr. Lee came into my life!

Ill pick up some boolets tomorrow, maybe some Berries at my LGS.

Now... if I can just fine more POWDER!

EB

ak474u
12-09-2014, 02:32 AM
Canned a dozen more pints of salsa, and smoked 2 lbs of Himalayan salt, and 3 lbs of course sea salt. We're giving away most of the salt as gifts, it really adds a nice flavor to soups, salsa, burgers, pretty much anything really.

Willie51
12-09-2014, 06:14 PM
Ordered back packs and other essentials for the adult children for Christmas from EE while they were on sale during cyber week. Also Ordered me another back pack that was on sale for $22.99. They all came in today and Wow I was surprised how large and well made they are especially the one for 22.99. It is the High Uinta Trail Hiker Navy Blue backpack item #CPS015. Might order a couple more just to have on hand for extra BOBs. Also they had the Camp Chef gas camp oven combo on sale for $99. and includes canvas carry case. This combo is $200. everywhere else I checked. Had to have that, so Songbird told me to get it for her Christmas present! :)

Sniper-T
12-10-2014, 01:04 AM
another week of crazy-assed overtime, pounding the money down onto debt, and accomplishing nothing tangible. yet, somehow... it still feels good!

ElevenBravo
12-10-2014, 01:09 AM
Just reloaded 24 357mag with Berry's 158gn plated flat nose to just under max, should yield abt 1000fps.

These are EASY to do, as EASY as 45 ACP!!

Cant wait to go shoot them!

Economics:

50 rnds of 357 SWC is $32
250 boolets of Berry's 158 gn FN is $32
Pitch in about $6 for primers and $4 (maybe) for powder, call it a day. (Alliant Power Pistol, its gooood stuff, if you can find it)

EB

helomech
12-10-2014, 01:26 AM
another week of crazy-assed overtime, pounding the money down onto debt, and accomplishing nothing tangible. yet, somehow... it still feels good!

Same here, we have cut almost all necessary expenses. I got 138 hours of overtime in the last month or so. Got to buy another used car this week though. So some of it will go to that.

bacpacker
12-10-2014, 01:38 AM
I wish I got paid for OT. On the other hand a couple of dumb asses getting hurt got most all our OT grounded for a while.

Sniper-T
12-10-2014, 01:44 AM
Over the last 5 months, I have averaged 180 paid hours of overtime per month. I think I can re-define... walking dead!

bacpacker
12-10-2014, 02:00 AM
Holy crap. Those are crazy hours. But kick ass pay. Just dont forget life. I know it cant take over after a while.

Sniper-T
12-10-2014, 02:16 AM
It did (take over) I got away hunting 7 weekends and a week this fall... and I averaged more time working than I did out in the bush/field!

:(

helomech
12-12-2014, 01:27 AM
I wish I got paid for OT. On the other hand a couple of dumb asses getting hurt got most all our OT grounded for a while.

I only get overtime on my days off. I work 80 hours in each week and all of it is straight time. Then I get a week off. So the only way I can get overtime is to work on my week off when another mechanic is out on vacation or sick.

izzyscout21
12-14-2014, 04:42 PM
Jack. Squat. I've accomplished absolutely nothing this week.

ak474u
12-14-2014, 09:18 PM
Got a little .22 ammo, found it with a 1 box limit, and made wife go thru checkout separately. It's mini mag, which I was low on.

ElevenBravo
12-14-2014, 11:14 PM
Daughter and I loaded 180 357 rnds, then took them and the 45 reloads I did previous to the range Sat.

It was very windy and 38, we left when I could no longer feel the rounds going into the magazine! HA HA!

Both loads worked a treat! I really wish I had a chrono, maybe after tax time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCE24PAw8IU

Daughter got to shoot too... she shot the 45 mostly, had a good time.

EB

bacpacker
12-15-2014, 01:34 AM
This covers the last month or so. I've built a cold frame out of hay bales and an old door. Have started and now transplanted kale, spinach, cabbage, and arugula. Hope to get some onions started soon. I've also tore out my grape arbor and am in the middle of cleaning up the mess I let take over. I HATE HONEYSUCKLE!!! Plus I haven't pruned the vines in a couple years and they have gotten ahead of me. It is a mess, but now starting to look better. The honeysuckle is just about gone and I plan to start pruning the vines this week. Then its time to start digging post holes for the new arbor and installing everything. The fun part with this (other than digging the holes) is lifting 4x16' hog panels on top of my T-post that will be close to 8' high.

I did get to the gun show this morning. Crowd was lighter than any I've been to lately. Picked up some powder and a few med supplies.

ak474u
12-15-2014, 02:46 AM
This covers the last month or so. I've built a cold frame out of hay bales and an old door. Have started and now transplanted kale, spinach, cabbage, and arugula. Hope to get some onions started soon. I've also tore out my grape arbor and am in the middle of cleaning up the mess I let take over. I HATE HONEYSUCKLE!!! Plus I haven't pruned the vines in a couple years and they have gotten ahead of me. It is a mess, but now starting to look better. The honeysuckle is just about gone and I plan to start pruning the vines this week. Then its time to start digging post holes for the new arbor and installing everything. The fun part with this (other than digging the holes) is lifting 4x16' hog panels on top of my T-post that will be close to 8' high.

I did get to the gun show this morning. Crowd was lighter than any I've been to lately. Picked up some powder and a few med supplies.

That's because they were all in line at the cabelas by my house. Lol

Caveman Survival
12-15-2014, 05:22 AM
Canned up 30lbs of potatoes, made up some hard tack, practice cordage making... That's about it

Sniper-T
12-15-2014, 10:48 AM
What's your process for canning potatoes? Got any hard tack recipe variations worth sharing? (spices herb mixes)

- - - Updated - - -

I made 5 gallons of chili. Will be freezing some, and dehydrating some.

Stormfeather
12-16-2014, 03:46 AM
Got my baofeng radios, now to try and learn how to use them.

ak474u
12-22-2014, 12:10 AM
Canned 8 jars of salsa, and 2 jars of pickled jalapeƱos with carrots from my garden. Got lots more jars to make more cranberry sauce. We've finished the last of the tomatoes that we ripened from the garden after the cold started.

We've been sharing salsa with the neighbors, we've instituted a free refill program if you return your jar, and ring. Since the jar costs more than the contents, it works out well for me and my tasting panelists.

ElevenBravo
12-22-2014, 12:28 AM
1) just reloaded 100 9mm, running low on powder... Got maybe 1/4 pound left, will hold in reserve. Sigh.

2) I am starting my research into canning.

I am thinking I can get frozen veggies and can them, which is part of my research. Maybe make some soups etc and can them. Id love to make some veg soup with cooked hamburger, but I have no idea what needs to be done... I think with the meat content, it will need pressure cooking. Ive got a LOT to learn!

I think for the money Im going to get an entry level Presto and a couple of jars and go from there.

EB

bacpacker
12-22-2014, 01:27 AM
We put up 6 jars of cranberry sauce and 5 jars of Carmel sauce. Good stuff. Picked up a coup pounds of power pistol powder and another TO at the gun show. Making progress on the grape arbor.

ElevenBravo
12-22-2014, 02:05 AM
I just watched a youtube on canning bacon...

I salivated the entire time.

EB

realist
12-24-2014, 09:02 PM
Got a 1000 rounds of Hornady once fired 308 brass of all the same weight. This will be my distance ammo. I also have 500 rounds of the same brass but different weight which will be my hunting ammo. It took forever to go through all the brass to find this much.

Been prepping 260 Remington for my nephew. Got him over and started him on reloading. My son is home for Christmas so he was helping too. It is great having help with all the tedious work. Will start sizing the brass tonight.

Stormfeather
12-25-2014, 11:08 AM
Been searching for about a year now, found the dog Ive been looking for in the exact age range.
Yesterday we officially adopted and brought home Sable, a 9 month female German Shepherd. She weighs in about 60 pounds right now, but shes going to be gaining weight quick, and shes extremely eager to be part of a "pack" here at the house. Training starts the day after Xmas. Pics coming soon!

ElevenBravo
12-25-2014, 03:25 PM
Realist, sounds like a nice score! I like 308 myself.. Glad you were able to find civilian brass, with 308 theres a lot of (as you already know, but others might not..) milsurp brass, which requires some extra tools and time to prep the primer pocket. When I reload, I just want to reload without a lot of extra drama.

SF, cool beans bro! GSD is IMHO the ultimate breed! And since you now have a GSD, Ive got information for you buddy!

On a good note, they have identified that a German Shepperd only sheds once a year!

On a down side, it last 365 days.

EB

robsdak
12-25-2014, 03:53 PM
Been searching for about a year now, found the dog Ive been looking for in the exact age range.
Yesterday we officially adopted and brought home Sable, a 9 month female German Shepherd. She weighs in about 60 pounds right now, but shes going to be gaining weight quick, and shes extremely eager to be part of a "pack" here at the house. Training starts the day after Xmas. Pics coming soon!

SF, every boy needs a good dog. :) congrats on the new addition.

ElevenBravo
01-02-2015, 07:51 PM
1) Just paid off my Daughter's Sig P250 full size 45 (cause they dont make a 46) (I love grabagun!!!)
2) Got 1K CCI large pistol primers today (Id like to have small too, but they were wiped out)
3) Got 250 230gn FMJ bullets .451 today

Ive got about 300 rnds of 45 brass sized, belled and primed... ready to load. Too scared to use the little bit of powder I have left.

After paying for daughter's remaining balance on her 45 layaway, I didnt have enough to buy anything else, maybe later...

EB

Sniper-T
01-03-2015, 08:21 AM
So, I have limited experience with Shep's, what are their pro's and cons?

mitunnelrat
01-03-2015, 03:44 PM
I traded a few hours of my time and a tank of chainsaw gas for about a week's worth of firewood.

ElevenBravo
01-03-2015, 05:22 PM
So, I have limited experience with Shep's, what are their pro's and cons?

Not every GSDs (German Shepherd Dog) will be a Rin Tin Tin... It all has to do with breading as to what traits they have. Not all GSDs are suited to be a police dog, again.. breading.

Having said that, keep your expectations realistic.

Ive owned 3 for quite a while so I have personal experience.

The upsides are they are one of the best breeds IMHO.. Other breeds are awesome too, like the Boxer, etc.. There disposition is awesome. They are courageous and very smart. The courage part comes more from breeding, and so does smarts, but as a general rule, the GSD should turn out well (unless its from a puppy mil).

Its hard to say, without evaluating the dog in person, how I think a specific animal will turn out. Seeing the sire and bitch would help to.

Of the 3 dogs I had, only one had the traits to accept training for personal protection. The others were reserved to be companion dogs.

Considerations:
GSDs have the potential for bad hips. Even if a GSD has certified hips thats no guarantee they wont have hip problems.
GSDs have been know to have a problem with a twisted stomach, which can be fatal.
GSDs shed a lot, all year.

Thats about all I have for ya buddy, if there is anything more specific just shout, if I know the answer Ill fill in the blanks.

EB

Stormfeather
01-04-2015, 12:25 AM
Having worked with GSD's and Belg Malin's professionally for years, They are one of my favorite breeds. Yes, everything EB said is true and then some. But there are plenty of pro's to them as well. The herding instinct in them is extremely high, as is the drive in them. If you are a couch potato, these are not the dogs for you! As with all puppys, getting them to integrate as a member of a pack, and them knowing their place within the pack is essential. Keeping them brushed once or twice a week keeps the hair shedding at bay, and I also like to feed mine garlic pills as a treat to keep fleas at bay as well. This one I am training up as a service dog, so the need for her to be a "working dog" isnt so much there as she is a PTSD service dog. I find that feeding them raw pack is much better for their digestive tracts that bagged dog food, as I have never been a fan of it, and probably never will be. I liken this to feeding humans bacon flavored Textured Vegetable Protein and thinking its a suitable replacement for bacon... just not happening! Not only does this "toughen up" their digestive tract, but also keeps in touch with their roots as animals on a basic level. Theres a lot more I could go into this breed, but will let you digest this, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask! Pics coming soon!!!

ElevenBravo
01-04-2015, 03:27 AM
http://elevenbravo.net/assortedimages/guntar_19apr05.jpg
Guntar, not a year old yet.

http://elevenbravo.net/assortedimages/24dec04-all3dogs.jpg
All three of my dogs
(L-R)
Guntar, a big baby... didnt do anything but was loving, a great companion dog
Heidi - Was a rescue dog, she was abused, she did nothing but had a hella hunt drive (She could find the same stick I threw off scent), a great companion dog
Roxie - GSD & Lab mix - She was trained for personal protection with moderate bite work, also a great companion dog

We lost our house in a foreclosure many many years ago and had to find them homes, still miss them to this day...

EB

robsdak
01-04-2015, 09:03 AM
1) Just paid off my Daughter's Sig P250 full size 45 (cause they dont make a 46) EB

LOL... they do make a .50 cal... good on you for being a good dad. any swinging dick can be a father, takes a man to be a dad.

daddy, me next. i want a Savage 24C in .22/20 ga. :)

ElevenBravo
01-04-2015, 02:51 PM
Your crazy kid, you'll shoot your eye out!

- - - Updated - - -

I think I spent some grocery money, but Ill figure that out later... got the last box of 1K small pistol primers at the LGS. None, period, zero... after I made my purchase. :-)

EB

robsdak
01-04-2015, 05:50 PM
Your crazy kid, you'll shoot your eye out!

- - - Updated - - -

I think I spent some grocery money, but Ill figure that out later... got the last box of 1K small pistol primers at the LGS. None, period, zero... after I made my purchase. :-)EB

not a chance... i have 'safety glasses'. i had one that rode in the truck behind the seat for years. i 'had' a friend that introduced me to a friend of his and it came up missing. been looking at replacing it, but down here it's easier to find a 30 yr. old virgin. LOL

are you starving? NOPE! then no worries. a daddy has to do what's right. besides, your investing in her future...

ElevenBravo
01-07-2015, 12:05 AM
Revisiting the idea of airsoft for training, eyeballing some AKs, strict single fire rule en place (to simulate actual inventory).

They are $150 each, in order to train I need two... you do the math and yeah, maybe later... BUT I think it would be an INVALUABLE asset. Id love to get some pistol airsofts too... The P250 is not available in airsoft at this time, so maybe a Glock airsoft, not a duplicate but would be "close".

EB

Sniper-T
01-07-2015, 03:54 AM
never had much interest in airsoft... how many feet per second? how 'tough' are the balls? frozen? can be substituted with something more lethal? I know a guy that took a frozen paintball to the forehead and knocked him clean unconscious... is something like that possible with airsoft?

ElevenBravo
01-07-2015, 10:36 PM
Airsoft: Typically 350fps, small at 6mm, a little bigger than a BB.. made of plastic. Many of them can biodegrade. Eye protection is critical. You cannot get knocked out with one. The gun can be cheap POS plastic, or wood and metal like the real deal, but there very expensive. $150 AK is a mid quality weapon. They are powered by a battery. You would have to google the rest, or try youtube for "airsoft battle" or something like that... Range is limited, but 50 yards and it they should yield about similar trajectory and thus simulate "realistic" POA/POI.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=search_videos&search_query=airsoft+for+training&search_sort=relevance&search_category=0&page=

EB

Sniper-T
01-07-2015, 11:55 PM
I traded a few hours of my time and a tank of chainsaw gas for about a week's worth of firewood.

How much do you burn in a week?

Socalman
01-12-2015, 04:57 PM
Just a few baby steps. Added 1 gallon of water and 3 cans (8oz) of salmon to storage.

We are prepared for about 11 weeks of doing it on our own with the exception of water. We are in the Pasadena area of Calif. and if the city water supply tanks most people are screwed. There is a source of dirty water about 1/2 mile away and I could do some rudimentary filtering with sand and charcoal, then add chlorine to make it potable.

Currently I estimate we have potable water for about 3 weeks, plus what is in the 40 gallon hot water heater. We have a spa outdoors and the 400 or so gallons can be used for washing. Due to the amount of chemicals in the water in it, you would not want to drink it.

Sniper-T
01-12-2015, 05:21 PM
No rain barrels Socal?

Socalman
01-12-2015, 05:30 PM
No rain barrels Socal?

What is rain? LOL.

Due to this area really being a desert (I know it doesn't LOOK that way, but it is because about 100 years ago William Mulholland stole huge amounts of water from northern California.

There is a small river with pretty dirty water about 1/2 mile away. I could use a sand/charcoal filter on it then add some chlorine bleach to have a water supply.

ElevenBravo
01-12-2015, 05:30 PM
Researching ETR7 powder for reloading, the store is about an hour from me! Ill update when I know more, I need a chrony to check loads in order to post accurate data... or else it's all a guessing game.

EB

mitunnelrat
01-18-2015, 01:22 AM
How much do you burn in a week?

After a rough measurement I'd say just under 1/2 of a full cord, on average.

bacpacker
01-18-2015, 01:55 AM
Since Christmas the wife has been trying to get over a bad cold. Last Saturday I caught it. Pretty much got nothing accomplished.

ak474u
01-18-2015, 02:24 AM
Started turning and amending soil in my raised beds this morning. Funny thing is, I've mostly been up to the garden at night lately, so I didn't notice the huge lettuce plants I've got in one of my beds.

realist
01-18-2015, 04:52 AM
Socal I have it on good authority you got some rain last week. We had a downpour yesterday and got a whole .06 of an inch, not bad for all of January.....

What have I done to prep well it has taken two weeks but I renovated my pump house. It is 12 by 16 and was full of stuff, ok crap. Well I got a wild hair and went to work. I took everything out covered it in hopes it would rain. The walls were just 2x4 studs. I insulated the walls and covered them with OSB and painted them. I then put up shelving made from 2x3 which further strengthened the walls. I also put in a ceiling and with plywood and insulated it. I have two pressure tanks with the well inside so during summer it should keep it cooler and allow me to put some of my preps in there. So tomorrow I start putting everything back in. If it isn't in a container which is marked it is going to the dump.

moonwillow
01-19-2015, 03:46 PM
I got a windfall of free bananas. I'm in the process of drying them. I really wanted to can them. I know you can. The cans of tropical fruit you buy in stores have banana chunks. I can't find anything on the net worth while. Some sites say you can can mashed, some say you can't. I want to can chunks. Anybody out there got any ideas?

Sniper-T
01-19-2015, 04:34 PM
Not sure if this is what you had in mind mw, but my grandma used to make jam like this:

http://www.confessionsofanover-workedmom.com/2013/03/how-to-make-banana-jam.html

but she would add a pinch of nutmeg.

ElevenBravo
01-19-2015, 09:34 PM
Drove to there store and bought a pound...

http://www.expansion-industries.com/ETR7-PISTOL-POWDER-p/etr7.htm

Need a chrony to check the loads to work up a good formula, but yeah... I got some pistol powder!
If this pound works out good, going back and buying 4lbs a month for a few months (due to $$ limits).

I burnt a string of it on my walkway, looks like good burn rate. Metered it in my Lee powder thrower,
it appears to be as regular as Alliant Power Pistol.

EB

Stormfeather
01-20-2015, 04:50 AM
I got a windfall of free bananas. I'm in the process of drying them. I really wanted to can them. I know you can. The cans of tropical fruit you buy in stores have banana chunks. I can't find anything on the net worth while. Some sites say you can can mashed, some say you can't. I want to can chunks. Anybody out there got any ideas?

As far as canning... not sure, but I do add a little bit of lemon juice to them right as soon as I feel them to stop them from turning dark brown from the dehydrator. Works like a charm!

And also, Nice to see a older member come back around! Hope to see more of your input on the bananas! I was looking at your join date!

mitunnelrat
01-27-2015, 01:33 AM
Stormy, in a moment of inspired smartassery a while back, still correctly identified me as a gear queer. Since many of my activities follow a seasonal approach these days I've been too busy to address it, but now that things have slowed down I'm working to beat this addiction to nylon and produce a more realistic loadout.

My first line will not change, and will stay in my pants pockets and wallet, so I still have a complete survival kit on me at all times. I have also decided on which of my various packs to settle on. The changes are coming to my fighting load.

To that end my preps this week have centered around establishing a base line of minimum gear and running my rifle while wearing it to ensure it works as desired.

So far I have set up a Mini MAV with two magazines and a dump pouch to support my rifle. A drop leg panel supplies pistol support and a blow out kit. My holster is dropped as well. This is because belt mounts will interfere with my pack's waist belt. Lets face it, my mission is not to fight bad guys, it is to safely make it to a BOL and a MAG. Nor will I have the support system of today's soldier. All of this tells me I am better off working my fighting gear around a comfortable sustainment load, which will include more magazines and ammunition.

More updates to come. Stay tuned.

ak474u
01-29-2015, 11:43 PM
The other day: I got my grow table down from the attic storage, assembled it with the grow lights, and started 144 various pepper, tomato, egg plant, and melons.
TODAY I Built a 3x6 tiered strawberry box, a 2x2 raised planter to fill in a dead space, and another 2x6 raised bed. I also planted a 60'x2' double row of sweet yellow, white granex, and red onions. Tomorrow is lettuce, kale, carrots, mixed greens, etc.

Being out of work sucks unless you are a gardener.

bacpacker
01-30-2015, 01:01 AM
Great start AK. You are 1-2 months ahead of me.

ak474u
01-30-2015, 01:08 AM
Great start AK. You are 1-2 months ahead of me.

I hate to say it, but this good weather needs to go away. We keep having high 30s nights, and 70* days. My fruit trees are gonna think it's spring, and we're due for some cold in February I suspect.

bacpacker
01-30-2015, 01:33 AM
You guys tend to get ice storms at times don't you?
We get stretches where it'll warm up for a while, but still get well below freezing temps to. May get a little snow tomorrow. Probably not much.
I do have a cold frame going. It's not producing much, but I have a good start on Kale, spinach, arugala, & cabbage. Plants are looking good and will start producing in the next 6 weeks.

Sniper-T
01-30-2015, 03:56 AM
you bastards make me so jealous! Last frost forecasted in the almanac is for May 24... first is for Sept 30. Gives me 4 months to grow for the year! Thank God we got lotsa animals!

mitunnelrat
01-30-2015, 10:30 PM
I don't know why I never thought of it until you brought it up, but I now have an almanac myself. Lol. Time to check it out.

robsdak
01-31-2015, 02:37 AM
you bastards make me so jealous! Last frost forecasted in the almanac is for May 24... first is for Sept 30. Gives me 4 months to grow for the year! Thank God we got lotsa animals!

stop whining, sell your shit and move to FLORIDA! i can grow year round. LOL besides, the fishing is good. :)

might be able to get you a good deal on a 4 bed - 2 full bath right next door too me. LOL quiet neighborhood on a cul de sac. D I V O R C E sale pending.

bacpacker
01-31-2015, 03:07 AM
MIT, find out what Zone you are in. Most likely Zone 5-6. Down here I am Zone 6-7, more 7. Sniper, more like 1-2a, maybe 2b depending on exactly where you are. Here is a link to help with that.

http://www.lawn-and-gardening-tips.com/planting-zones.html

Planning gardens will work better, if you consult the zones. Especially if your growing is all outdoors. Greenhouses, grow tunnels, row covers add zones for you. Find you a Blum's Farmers Almanac. I swear by them.

Sniper-T
01-31-2015, 04:07 AM
toughie... geographically I am half way between Flin Flon and Minnesota... and not in an environmentally friendly way! lol

Domeguy
01-31-2015, 04:08 PM
Yesterday, I pulled out the old wheel weight bucket, and in a couple of hours sorted, melted, smelted, or whatever you call it the metal. When I was done I had a full tray of 12, 2 1/2 in. square by about 3/4 inch thick bars of pure lead, weighing 20 lbs. Now it's just a quick step to make bullets, BB pellets, buckshot, fishing weights, or my very own love robot when the zombies arrive.http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f226/gantsum/cf10ae91223d2e45a5baf8da3123fcfd_zpsde7844dc.jpg

ElevenBravo
01-31-2015, 10:13 PM
The weeks almost over, but I hope to go shoot tomorrow with my new chrono...

I want to load some 357 with my ETR7 (Gotta look if I have any empty brass first), some 357 I already loaded with Power Pistol and... some factory loads.

I may also chrono some .45 reloads, I dont have any factory loads for this caliber, but I do have 3 flavors of reloads I need to radar.

M&P 40 is on layaway, I *think* Ill have the rest of the money in a week or two to range it, Im pretty excited about that!

Once I get this weapon situation taken care of, I want to focus on ammo, gear and food. I might have some extra after some sales to get the additional mags I want, and a piece or two of gear.

Next focus is to get a few extra cans of this & that every visit to Kroger and start banking some chow!

EB

oif0709
02-01-2015, 09:49 PM
I got an msr dragonfly stove on sale last weekend when I was out to pick up some screw on kids for my 5 gallon pails. so I tested it out today, in the tub. Too cold out, I also went over one of my rifles to do an annual check and found some screws that became loose from use even with the lock tight.

Stormfeather
02-01-2015, 10:48 PM
Try using ladies fingernail polish, works just as good as loc-tite, just without all the possibilities of breaking off the threads when loosening.

Domeguy
02-02-2015, 10:49 PM
Good tip...thanks, I'll try it.

ak474u
02-03-2015, 01:48 AM
Was washing some dishes this morning, flipped the lever down to turn off the water at the sink, and nothing happened. So, 2 hours and $150 later, I had removed and replaced the faucet, which was corroded so badly the cartridge wouldn't come out. Honed plumbing skills a bit. Also built another 2x2 planter box to fill a dead spot in the layout of my garden.

Vodin
02-03-2015, 02:01 AM
Had one Blue Tilapia 13" die today in the 150 gallon Aquaponic tank. 4 Plate sized ones left and 2 6" ers. I got a bunch of blooms on the San Marzano tomato plants. I will give them a few weeks to fruit. If nothing happens I will wipe the whole set up and start on lettuce and herbs. I have grown about 3 crops in this set up. Time to expand and farm Tilapia/Catfish right now just raising male fish.

bacpacker
02-03-2015, 02:04 AM
I hate plumbing. Had to replace a toilet 2 weeks ago.

Found a Lea in the kitchen last winter on one of the drains. Ended up having to replace everything including g the p trap. Did I mention I hate plumbing.

ak474u
02-03-2015, 02:33 AM

Found a Lea in the kitchen last winter on one of the drains. Ended up having to replace everything including g the p trap. Did I mention I hate plumbing.

I want a new sink, I'm gonna have that done by a professional, or someone who stayed at a holiday inn.

Sniper-T
02-03-2015, 10:35 AM

Like it or not... good skills to have. One more step towards self sufficiency!

bacpacker
02-03-2015, 03:55 PM
Very true. That's why I work on it.

If we ever find "The Place" I entend to install a micro hydro system. Might as well pick up what I can along the way. Plus I get to by more tools. Maybe it's not so bad. :)

Vodin
02-03-2015, 11:43 PM
Grinding more hamburger, breakfast sausage and Cevapcici sausage. Least I have a reasonable idea of what is in my grind :)

ElevenBravo
02-04-2015, 01:16 AM
S&W M&P 40 came home today, plus 250rnds of FMJ (soon to be 250 brass cases for reloading), a couple of extra mags, a Serpa holster and a smile.
Will get to shoot it this weekend, will also chrono the rounds for reloading comparison.

EB

ElevenBravo
02-05-2015, 12:28 AM
1) Sold my S&W bodyguard 380 with laser for cash, which ended up not staying in my pocket long, esp. since I just bout the M&P 40... sigh.
2) Traded my 20ga pump for a couple of M&P 40 mags at the LGS (same as which I bought the M&P from)
3) Just posted (tonight) my entire Sig P250 collection for "fast cash", need to take care of a few medical debts
4) Just bought 1K rnds of 40 once fired brass (no worries, Lee bulge buster on the way...)

Still planning on getting Lil'Bravo (daughter) an M&P 40, hope to have enough from above sales to do a lawaway at grabagun (LOVE these guys!).
Still sorting some plans for a second pantry
Researching a date stamp gun, similar to price labels we used to have before bar codes took over.

Thats all for THIS week..
EB

helomech
02-05-2015, 01:03 AM
Don't worry about the bulged cases. They have no effect on anything.

ElevenBravo
02-06-2015, 01:02 AM
Sold two P250's and one P250 conversion kit, tonight, to the same buyer! Cash money is in a sock for now, which... is a prep in it's self.

EB

mitunnelrat
02-06-2015, 01:08 AM
Its not in your feminine hands?

ElevenBravo
02-06-2015, 01:36 AM
damn you.... Dont twist my words!

mitunnelrat
02-06-2015, 02:15 AM
Bwahaha!

oif0709
02-06-2015, 02:41 AM
Slowly putting together a sustainment bag. My Eberlestock pack that I can have enough essentials to comfortably be out on my own. Keeping weight down while keeping the 2 is 1 and 1 is none idea.

I got my kifaru pullouts today, lightweight pouches to organize my pack for my stove, water purification, fire starters and so on.

The pack has a ton of organization and plenty of room, so it can get heavy quick.

I believe preparedness has much to do with proficiency in my equipment and how to get along without it.

mitunnelrat
02-06-2015, 02:48 AM
I was a "kitchen sink" guy for a while. I am moving away from that slowly, but surely. I've posted some threads on this here and there. Specifically resources on how to lighten loads/ organize. It sounds liks you have this well in hand, but I can find and bump them up if you're interested.

oif0709
02-06-2015, 03:00 AM
Absolutely. Thanks, mostly I'd like to keep my water purification stuff and a backup. Like for instance I'd keep my filter and just some iodine tablets. It's lighter than a filter and my steripen......which needs batteries.... which run out...... tablets aren't ideal but are light.

My fire rod is the size of a crayon. I just keep some dry tinder with it. I've got a fire piston and a few other tools but the rod is light and efficient.

The stove I got uses multiple fuels. Bulky but lighter and smaller than the biolite I was using. The pot I use, I downsized to a tiny quart size.

Any more tips would be appreciated. A few times a year I go out and field my stuff, note what I don't use or doesn't work out and I leave it home on the next time out. Things gradually get lighter and I get better with my gear.

I fortunately was a boy scout and learned how to make shelter from what us in the woods and nothing else.

mitunnelrat
02-06-2015, 03:03 AM
Ok. Will do then. Be just a few minutes.

Sniper-T
02-06-2015, 03:08 AM
Absolutely. Thanks, mostly I'd like to keep my water purification stuff and a backup. Like for instance I'd keep my filter and just some iodine tablets. It's lighter than a filter and my steripen......which needs batteries.... which run out...... tablets aren't ideal but are light.

My fire rod is the size of a crayon. I just keep some dry tinder with it. I've got a fire piston and a few other tools but the rod is light and efficient.

The stove I got uses multiple fuels. Bulky but lighter and smaller than the biolite I was using. The pot I use, I downsized to a tiny quart size.

Any more tips would be appreciated. A few times a year I go out and field my stuff, note what I don't use or doesn't work out and I leave it home on the next time out. Things gradually get lighter and I get better with my gear.

I fortunately was a boy scout and learned how to make shelter from what us in the woods and nothing else.

sounds like a great set up... how about some pics?

oif0709
02-06-2015, 03:19 AM
I think I had to reach a post count before I could post photos. I'm not sure what the count was.

mitunnelrat
02-06-2015, 03:23 AM
We don't upload directly here. I think you should be able to link images from photobucket/ imageshack, etc. I don't remember that being linked to a post count.

Sniper-T
02-06-2015, 03:23 AM
not sure, grab the image code from photo bucket and paste in here, or use the insert image button^ above and post the link... if that doesn't work (post count), pm or email me and I'll post them for you

oif0709
02-06-2015, 04:55 PM
http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu147/catalina421/Mobile%20Uploads/20150206_121711_1.jpg (http://s642.photobucket.com/user/catalina421/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150206_121711_1.jpg.html) I've got my water, fire and stove kits in the bottom and lower front compartment, the main, front, lid and side compartments are still empty. Ive got a bunch of navigation and first aid tools. I still need to put my sleep mat in and a maintenance kit. My arctic woobie will sort if replace a sleeping bag, but I don't keep that packed.

I still don't have food, and clothing and a rifle packed but I intend to keep the pack weight down. As best I can. It's already going well. I cut out what wasn't necessary when packing my pulloutshttp://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu147/catalina421/Mobile%20Uploads/20150206_120732.jpg (http://s642.photobucket.com/user/catalina421/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150206_120732.jpg.html)

oif0709
02-06-2015, 11:17 PM
http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu147/catalina421/Mobile%20Uploads/20150206_182623.jpg (http://s642.photobucket.com/user/catalina421/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150206_182623.jpg.html)

A 7 dollar plano box and a sale at the local sporting goods store and I'm almost finished with my "oh crap" box.
I had the box, just painted it..... I like being hidden. I've had people walk by my friend and I in the woods and not see us.
Kit contains some small arms parts. Springs, pins, broken shell remover, some zipper and sewing kits and patch kits, maintenance kit for my stove and a roll of gorilla tape.

I kept it as light as I could with the intent to keep Murphy at bay. I know if I didn't get the zipper kit, I'd ruin a zipper. If i didn't get a patch kit, I'd melt a hole in my woobie, and so on.

I may have listed about anything but I'd love suggestions on small parts and such to keep with me. Pretty much I've got something to maintain each tool I have.

ElevenBravo
02-06-2015, 11:39 PM
709, what bag is that? Its a good looking bag!

I sold all 3 of my sigs yesterday to offset the cost of the M&P 40, plus my reloading gear came today... Ordered 1K once fired brass from K, the reloading bench and accessories are coming together nicely!

Going to field the M&P for the first time tomorrow... (Thats right, video to come...)

EB

oif0709
02-06-2015, 11:47 PM
The ruck? It's an Eberlestock g4 operator. I've been getting more into technical hunting gear. I don't get to hunt but those folks know outdoors gear without having the obnoxious colors. Every soccer mom and college kid wears north face.

I love my sig but I really like the m and p. I purged my 40 cal to stick with 9mm and I'll have 45 as well. But the mp is one of my favorite striker guns.

This bag has a ton of positives, some drawbacks but nothing to make one pass it up.

You can pm me if you would lIke details. I've kicked around the idea of getting another bag (kifaru emr ii or nomad) and keeping or selling this.
Eberlestock added a new frame design I want to learn more about.

I've got a bunch of reloading stuff I havnt used in a while. Sad face. The Dillon precision is awesome, great customer service, rcbs are amazing folks too.

I was given ingots and a bunch of stuff to cast 45 but I can't do it indoors, and have no outside outlets. ..let alone a yard

bacpacker
02-07-2015, 01:02 AM
Slowly putting together a sustainment bag. My Eberlestock pack that I can have enough essentials to comfortably be out on my own. Keeping weight down while keeping the 2 is 1 and 1 is none idea.

I got my kifaru pullouts today, lightweight pouches to organize my pack for my stove, water purification, fire starters and so on.

The pack has a ton of organization and plenty of room, so it can get heavy quick.

I believe preparedness has much to do with proficiency in my equipment and how to get along without it.

I like your idea of organizing with bags. Size wise you take one look and know whats in there. Makes things quick and easy, especially in the dark.

What type light do you go with? Headlight/flashlight? Also, what type of water filter? I saw you mentioned a Sterilite, but it sounded like you have a different primary. And your stove?

I get going on backcountry gear and have tried quite a bit of stuff over the years. Always got the eyes out for new good stuff.

oif0709
02-07-2015, 01:52 AM
For a light I have a petzl strix. I love it, I'm looking into a small lantern from streamlight for my tent.
I like inforce lights on my weapons and I love surefire. Expensive but circuitry is a help for battery life. A 60 thousand million lumin light is cool but if it cost 10 bucks, it'll last as long as a roll of toilet paper in a household of 6.

I've got a katadyn water filter. I've used it in standing water in a swamp, lived to take a PT test the next day. I've used it in lakes no problem. I like steripen but it takes lithium batteries to run properly. And they even suggest a filter. It'll work but it's got some weight. It'll do in a pinch. But my theory is if you're so bad off that you need 6o use it in muddy water.....how long will you last when the battery dies. I won't Bail on it, and have used it. But it's more categorized as outdoor gear and not so much survival.

The stove is an msr dragonfly. They make a few multiple fuels stoves but this one will run off diesel, kerosene, gasoline, white fuel, and although not recommended, E85 and alcohol. It comes with jets for the thicker fuels. Boils fast. I have a biolite, it's a bit heavy. Holds a charge to run the fan forever. Very efficient, but I chose weight and a few other factors the msr had when moving the gas stove into my sustainment bag. It'll burn crap fuel. and burns fairly long on a bottle

bacpacker
02-07-2015, 02:05 AM
I started years ago with the original Peak one stove. Worked great, boils water in under 3 minutes, has a great control on it if you just want to simmer something. But it weighed about 3 lbs filled with fuel and it only used white gas. So being the wise ass I am I got a MSR Whisper light. Cut a good lb off the weigth. But I never did like the control on it. It would either burn hot enough to melt aluminum, or just bearly simmer, not a lot in between. I ended up going back to a newer model Whisper light, multi fuel model. I works as good as the original and weights probably about the same. But I have yet to have a failure with either one, or the MSR for that matter.

I have also used various little foldable stoves over the years. My favorite is a small little thing that I picked up at a gun show for $20. It runs on the small fuel cartridge and works really well. I keep one in both of our GHB's along with a folding handle aluminum cup. My other super light weight favorite is a Esbit folder. Not sure it'll boil water, but it'll burn for 10-15 minutes to heat up some stuff to eat and drink. The fuel is also a great fire starter. Burns plenty long enough to get wood going.

I like Petzel headlamps as well. We have 3-4 model of various ages, including two we just got last year. They are the best I've had for battery useage.

oif0709
02-07-2015, 02:23 AM
I felt the control on my stove was good for adjustable rate. I have yet to try if on another fuel. It's worth it, as is. A good range to it, I eyed the whisper light as well. I just wanted durability and multiple fuels plus adjustable flame.

It is loud though. I want to get a dragon tamer or quiet stove for it. A cup that goes on it to quiet them down.

ElevenBravo
02-07-2015, 03:05 AM
Cool info, thx! Ive settled on the USMC ILBE, for the money its an awesome bag!

I went with the 40 for a respectable intermediate cartridge, but will be getting the Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel when I can spare the extra sawbacks.

EB

oif0709
02-07-2015, 01:46 PM
I'm trying to color code the pullouts with different color cord. I stole some orange off a fire piston which I put on my fire starters bag, I'll find a red piece for the stove. Green probably for my mess kit and a blue for water purification. The sizes help me figure out what's what, and they're kind of see through. But in dim lighting they're one mass of nylon.

bacpacker
02-07-2015, 02:33 PM
I like the color pull idea

oif0709
02-08-2015, 02:06 AM
I got the idea off the kifaru forum, though thinking about it, they won't end up in the same parts of the pack anyway but whatever. I wanted a clean way to identify them. beats writing on them or putting tape on them. And they're pretty affordable.

Once I decide on what else to put in the pack I'll load the pull outs, heavy stuff in the middle, light up top, tent at the bottom.

I still want to get the kifaru stuff sack. Compresses in a log looking thing rather than a ball.

Once I get it all packed, I'll go through and do a layout and scrap stuff further. To save some weight. Spring is right around the corner though it may not feel like it.

I'm due for a new set of backpacking boots. By the time spring hits, I'll have those broken in and will be vacuum sealing dry foods.

robsdak
02-08-2015, 02:20 AM
I'm trying to color code the pullouts with different color cord. I stole some orange off a fire piston which I put on my fire starters bag, I'll find a red piece for the stove. Green probably for my mess kit and a blue for water purification. The sizes help me figure out what's what, and they're kind of see through. But in dim lighting they're one mass of nylon.

if i may make a suggestion... use Glow in the Dark zipper pull ends. i make them and they work great. i will look and see if i have a picture.

edit... found it!

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo102/robsdak/Paracord/100_0727.jpg (http://s366.photobucket.com/user/robsdak/media/Paracord/100_0727.jpg.html)

jamesneuen
02-08-2015, 02:25 AM
I have tons of blaze orange 110 cord that I need something to do with. Haven't decided what yet though.

oif0709
02-08-2015, 02:36 AM
if i may make a suggestion... use Glow in the Dark zipper pull ends. i make them and they work great. i will look and see if i have a picture.

edit... found it!

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo102/robsdak/Paracord/100_0727.jpg (http://s366.photobucket.com/user/robsdak/media/Paracord/100_0727.jpg.html)

Awesome, those look great.

bacpacker
02-08-2015, 02:40 AM
I will vouch for them. They do work great. Rob does good work and has some designs I've never seen before.

Sniper-T
02-08-2015, 02:43 AM
not much here... just another week of crazy overtime and paying off debt! I did however set a line on buying fresh eggs!

robsdak
02-08-2015, 02:43 AM
I will vouch for them. They do work great. Rob does good work and has some designs I've never seen before.

your too kind... :)

bacpacker
02-08-2015, 02:50 AM
You do good work. I don't mind bragging on good gear.

robsdak
02-08-2015, 02:53 AM
i did find a Peak One single burner at a surplus store for $10. it was an 'impulse buy' not a clue if it even works, looks to have never been used, just beat too shit.

oif0709
02-08-2015, 07:38 PM
http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu147/catalina421/Mobile%20Uploads/20150208_132447.jpg (http://s642.photobucket.com/user/catalina421/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150208_132447.jpg.html)
I managed to fit my mess kit, fuel bottle, plate and stove plus utensils Into one pull out, it's a heavier kit and I was able to put it close to center in my sustainment bag.
http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu147/catalina421/Mobile%20Uploads/20150208_133510.jpg (http://s642.photobucket.com/user/catalina421/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150208_133510.jpg.html)
I can put a bunch of mag pouches in it but only put 2 mags each of 308 and 556. I cam still take them out if I opt out of carrying them.

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu147/catalina421/Mobile%20Uploads/20150208_132559.jpg (http://s642.photobucket.com/user/catalina421/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150208_132559.jpg.html)
I condensed my repair kit down into a small pelican case.
http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu147/catalina421/Mobile%20Uploads/20150208_133231.jpg (http://s642.photobucket.com/user/catalina421/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150208_133231.jpg.html)
A few small AR parts, stove maintenance kit, o rings for the exotac stuff, grease, lube, glue, patch kit and sewing kit, zipper repair kit, magnifier. Fits right in a pouch inside my ruck meant for a radio but fits right up aginst my cooking kit.
Setting the bag up to sustain myself for a week in the woods. Still piecing things in, the weight is staying down nicely.

ak474u
02-08-2015, 08:01 PM
Built a 4x6 potato box, a 2x2 box, got lumber for the next set of boxes and cut it for assembly. Ordered elderberry, raspberries, goji berries, sweet peppers, mouse melons, and Nanking cherries.

ElevenBravo
02-08-2015, 09:39 PM
Shot more with the M&P, also chronoed several rounds, mostly reloads...

Shooting is a perishable skill.

EB

Stormfeather
02-09-2015, 06:16 AM
EB, I gotta ask, Ive seen you go thru quite a few different handguns here this past 7-8 months I think, Are u planning on settling down with one? :)

oif0709
02-11-2015, 07:09 PM
http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu147/catalina421/Mobile%20Uploads/20150211_131704.jpg (http://s642.photobucket.com/user/catalina421/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150211_131704.jpg.html)
I fit a pullout with a pair of socks, a shirt and a spare set of clothes up aginst my cooking kit, repair kit and put a mesh pull out on top with batteries. I keep the heavy stuff in the middle and as close to my back.
http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu147/catalina421/Mobile%20Uploads/20150211_132527.jpg (http://s642.photobucket.com/user/catalina421/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150211_132527.jpg.html)
a blessing and a curse with this pack is the amount of room and organization it has. With small compartments and this main compartment empty, as well as the pouch outside of it, I'll likely put food there. I've made a conscious effort to keep only necessary items to comfort and survival in the pack. It's still fairly light. Once complete, I'll do a layout and repack ir seeing what I can further shave. Then once again, I'll field it and see how it goes. http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu147/catalina421/Mobile%20Uploads/20150211_132728.jpg (http://s642.photobucket.com/user/catalina421/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150211_132728.jpg.html)

the back scabbard on this pack requires some adjustments to maintain comfort. You want the straps snug to avoid sway, but the pack loaded right so you don't have it distort the shape of what's aginst your back. It's got a panel in it so you're not feeling it dig in your back. It goes down further when the Beavertail on the bottom is undone. Also has a sleeve on it to cover, just testing right now. I stuck 2 mags for the carbine and 2 for the m1a in the ruck just for testing. I've thougt about using my shotgun for my sustainment pack. Multiple types if ammo, weight, and slim profile are some of the Things making me sway away from my carbine. As much as I love it.

realist
02-11-2015, 08:36 PM
Today is maintenance day, I'm going through all the power equipment and bringing all the maintenance up to date. Chainsaw, weedeater, mower and tractor.

ElevenBravo
02-11-2015, 10:05 PM
EB, I gotta ask, Ive seen you go thru quite a few different handguns here this past 7-8 months I think, Are u planning on settling down with one? :)

Ya know what? Thats a damn good question, and one I had to ask myself.

Honestly... I thought I was bit by the Sig bug. However... I realized with the weapons I chose (P250) I was limited in several aspects, and I realized that I really need to get back to a striker fired weapon for run & gun and some competition shooting I really wanted to participate in (USPSA maybe...).

Ever since I shot that dude's damned M&P, its weared on me something serious... I thought then I may have made the wrong choice.. Sure enough, I go for a "full size" M&P and decide the 40 was a good modern caliber.

Now that Ive shot it a few hundred, I realized.... I could have saved a lot of heartache by just going with the M&P to start with. However, having never actually shot one I didnt have anything to reference and I tend to not believe testimony of anyone else.

So fast forward to today, to answer your question... YES. I am concentrating on the .40 caliber and the "full size" M&P, thats it... nothing else, end of story.

EB

PS
Ill *never* sell my .357 mag.

Sniper-T
02-11-2015, 10:27 PM
Today is maintenance day, I'm going through all the power equipment and bringing all the maintenance up to date. Chainsaw, weedeater, mower and tractor.

Did you pick today at random? Or do you have a set schedule that you follow? Three days before valentines day the machines get some lovin' and then mama?

oif0709
02-11-2015, 11:54 PM
As long as it's not followed up with a purchase of garbage bags and duct tape.

Sniper-T
02-12-2015, 01:18 AM
and a backhoe...

oif0709
02-12-2015, 02:32 AM
My next addition to the pack will be adding a backpackers form of fishing kit. I've got one. But if someone can chime in on some sound telescoping poles. Or takedown poles feel free to chime in. I'm aware of the traps and other ways I can try to fish. I'd rather keep handy a little more gear than I need without having too much. Find a safe place, and make a cache.

robsdak
02-12-2015, 02:51 AM
don't know a prep related. i did find a 3.4 in barrel for the P22. guy at a pawnshop i frequent had it and we swapped. my 5 in for his 3.4 in. then we got into a discussion about swapping P22 for a Sig Mosquito. i went home installed the barrel and decided i liked it. so no trades.

My next addition to the pack will be adding a backpackers form of fishing kit. I've got one. But if someone can chime in on some sound telescoping poles. Or takedown poles feel free to chime in. I'm aware of the traps and other ways I can try to fish. I'd rather keep handy a little more gear than I need without having too much. Find a safe place, and make a cache.

i met a member from another forum and we went fishing. he brought a take down rod. i will ask him what it was and where he got it. i used it a few times during the day and it felt pretty good. as far as a cache goes, i have 4. 1 N, 1E, 1 S and 1W of my current location. enough to get me by for a week or so.

Sniper-T
02-12-2015, 12:22 PM
I have one too, that I use when I travel. It's lasted me 20+ years and although a little stiff, I like it. I'll try to dig it out on the weekend.

Domeguy
02-14-2015, 11:12 PM
I got my Keltec sub 2000 out and got the scope back in alignment, and tried to sight in the Ruger 10/22 with the scope. It's close, but still needs some fine tuning

helomech
02-15-2015, 01:23 AM
I shot my sub 2000 this week and it was hitting right. Need to sight it in.

Sniper-T
02-15-2015, 02:59 AM
picked up 3 dozen cans for the pantry, plus some flour, pasta and more rice.

jamesneuen
02-15-2015, 03:29 AM
Began printing a lot of my E-books that I haven't read and others that I consider reference manuals. Began diving into a few of my medical manuals a bit more. Trying to get the wife interested in medicine but it may be a lost cause, as squimish as she is.

Domeguy
02-15-2015, 06:34 AM
If you keep showing her the same picture of the foot as you showed us, I see why. Lol

ElevenBravo
02-15-2015, 04:49 PM
Finished decapping and resizing 1K pieces of .40 brass, getting ready to prime them, about half of them are belled.

I have powder, and access to more... the thing that worries me is, the 1K primers I have, was the last the LGS had and havent seen any more in WEEKS. I hate paying hazmat, but I might have to order some on line.

EB

oif0709
02-15-2015, 10:43 PM
About every 2 weeks when I'm doing actual grocery shopping I'll grab a few cans of vegetables and fruits and some canned sea creatures. I've got 2 buckets with screw on lids filled almost. I just try to grab stuff with a best by date of 2017 or 2018.

ElevenBravo
02-15-2015, 11:26 PM
709, I like the drive, dont give up.

The easiest way to get 100 cans of corn is 1 or 2 cans at a time... sure it may take time, but damn it you will soon have the 100 cans you were after! Just follow the mindset and soon you will have good stores!

eb

oif0709
02-15-2015, 11:41 PM
I live in an urban area so I don't want to get mre than I can grab quickly. Would not want to leave anything to satisfy looters.

robsdak
02-16-2015, 05:09 AM
I live in an urban area so I don't want to get mre than I can grab quickly. Would not want to leave anything to satisfy looters.

if interested, i can find the article/how-to 'hiding it in the walls' it was a good article about making a false wall and putting things inside.

ak474u
02-16-2015, 02:31 PM
Refurbished my gas grill this weekend before my son's virus from last week got me on Saturday night. I hadn't used it in probably 6-8 months, and had been keeping some deck related stuff inside it like citronella candles etc. I opened it last Thursday night, and found that just about anything plastic that was inside it had been chewed up by rats. First, I hate rats, second, there's no way I'm cooking on that right? I took it apart, sanded and high heat painted all of the internals, vacuumed out a ton of rat turds, hosed everything out, removed rust from the lower deck where the propane tank sits, repainted, etc. now I need a new regulator, because it has developed a strange hum when the burners are on.

robsdak
02-17-2015, 12:53 AM
rats are good fried and served with ketchup. :)

Domeguy
02-17-2015, 05:20 AM
I went through everything in my BOB/GHB. We are experiencing temps in the teens tonight, and around zero tomorrow night, with rain all day today. Everything is coated with ice and is slicker than snail snot. I may have to drive about an hour north tomorrow to rescue a daughter who can't get home, that's why I went through the BOB. I started the Ginny to make sure it runs ok if the power goes out, brought in extra wood, and put extra wood in the garage to keep it dry. We have flashlights ready, along with the solar lanterns, led lanterns, and candles. I actually hope the power goes out for awhile.

ElevenBravo
02-17-2015, 11:15 AM
Got a set of CHAINS for the Jeep, a pair for the front and a pair for the back! Also got a pair of bolt cutters to trim them. I had cables for the War Wagon but.. they broke easily so I give up on cables!

Ive been shooting video since the start of our "winter storm".

This damn vehicle (Jeep Grand Cherokee) with cheap ass Goodyears (Wranglers) has proven to be a snow beast! Ive gone everywhere, even over Catawaba Mountain!

Ive got stock size tires and no lift, of course there is only 8 inches of snow so a lot of ground clearance is not needed, though I do have a 2 inch budget boost kit waiting to go on.

That is all...
EB

robsdak
02-18-2015, 01:29 PM
EB my Dakota has 255,xxx miles on her and tried a couple different manufacturers of tires, Michelin, Firestone. i settled on Goodyear Wrangler 235/75/15. best bang for the buck! good all around tire for down here, anyway. looking to get a new set here shortly. 3rd set. not real noisy on the road (can't stand Road Whine), good traction in the sand, good to excellent in the mud and excellent on wet roads.

Sniper-T
02-18-2015, 01:32 PM
Canned goods are still on sale... picked up another couple dozen.

jamesneuen
02-18-2015, 04:47 PM
The wife and I will be making a large batch of salsa and I will be teaching her how to can it. (Water bathe in this case)

We are actually delayed this week due to our housing company that we live under is doing some massive fixing of our house with no warning. Not complaining about them fixing stuff but some warning would have been nice since we already bought all the ingredients and have them sitting in the fridge at the moment. Can't do anything because the kitchen and duct work will all be getting torn apart during the fixing.

I am excited that she is showing some interest in canning at least but wish I could get her on board with the more involved things.

I am also in the process of making my first solar oven design to see what temps I can reach. Also have the promise of a TV lens from a friend down here to try and make the Solar griddle

Alas Babylon
02-18-2015, 06:39 PM
Last Sunday I went to a Prepper Expo in Lakeland, central Florida. Saw lots of neat stuff, got some ideas, and most importantly met up with a small group of like minded friends that I have not seen for a while.

realist
02-24-2015, 06:06 AM
Planted two Granny Smiths, two Fuji, three almonds, a Meyer lemon and a Mandarin. Pruned all the other fruit trees. Started prepping the garden. I'm going to get a bunch of asparagus starts tomorrow and maybe some more bare root. I want to plant a bunch of trees up at my cabin next fall.

mitunnelrat
02-24-2015, 03:12 PM
I did my taxes this week. With that I plan on finishing my garden boxes, replacing my log splitter motor, buying a utility trailer, and getting my bike running again.

Oh - and a new gym membership.

Taz Baby
02-24-2015, 04:22 PM
Getting rid of the winter fat

http://www.fitnessaddict.info/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Shoveling-snow.jpg

Willie51
02-25-2015, 05:09 PM
Last Sunday I went to a Prepper Expo in Lakeland, central Florida. Saw lots of neat stuff, got some ideas, and most importantly met up with a small group of like minded friends that I have not seen for a while.

Awesome! We signed up back at Christmas, but ended up having important client in town and could not leave. :( This group putting this on has others and hopefully we can get to one in the SE this year. It's a growing trend.

Willie51
02-25-2015, 05:19 PM
Got me a YETI Tundra 50 cooler. All my friends have these, but I'm way to cheap to buy one, so I used my points off AMEX and got it for FREE. :cool: If bugging out or power failure, this will keep stuff cool for a week or so.

Now saving points up to get a YETI Roadie 20 for daily use in the truck or traveling.

These also can be used for a dry box.

Also, sighted in my GAMO pellet rifle. It was off by 3" at 40 yards.

ElevenBravo
02-25-2015, 07:32 PM
Made some headway on programming my 2100H. Ive been pretty sick all week, dont have the energy to do any more than what Ive done. Hell, just cutting on the laptop drains me of energy.

EB

mitunnelrat
02-25-2015, 07:43 PM
EB... To paraphrase my pastor, sometimes sleeping is the most important thing you can do.

Eat when you can, sleep when you can, but (without knowing the status of your illness and wanting no details) only shit when you must.

robsdak
02-25-2015, 08:13 PM
not a damn thing. been feeling down and out with a bug. haven't left the house, further than the mailbox since Sunday.

Willie51
02-25-2015, 08:57 PM
Dang guys, I feel for you both. I hardly ever get sick, but I had that (flu) the week of Christmas for a week (in bed Christmas day) and did not get to see anyone for the holiday except my wife. Felt better between Christmas and New Years and then it hit me again like nothing I've ever ever had!! I did not leave the bedroom and bathroom for 8 days and did not go out my front door for 13 days! I've never ever been that sick that I know of except when I had appendicitis when I was 12 years old.

Anyway, hope y'all get well soon.

Sniper-T
02-25-2015, 10:19 PM
Just picked up another dozen canned goods for the Pantry. Didn't have time for a bigger shop... maybe tomorrow!

Get well soon guys!

robsdak
02-25-2015, 11:08 PM
Dang guys, I feel for you both. I hardly ever get sick, but I had that (flu) the week of Christmas for a week (in bed Christmas day) and did not get to see anyone for the holiday except my wife. Felt better between Christmas and New Years and then it hit me again like nothing I've ever ever had!! I did not leave the bedroom and bathroom for 8 days and did not go out my front door for 13 days! I've never ever been that sick that I know of except when I had appendicitis when I was 12 years old.

Anyway, hope y'all get well soon.

i have other things going on health wise besides this little bug. it just amplifies my other issues. i reckon it's not going to kill me? LOL thanks for the well wishes. they help.

jamesneuen
02-26-2015, 01:10 AM
i just picked up 30 gallons of water. a ship crashed into a bridge down here and nearly took out the water line supplying us. I wanted to get some on hand to ensure i could take my time with my distiller.

Sniper-T
02-26-2015, 01:34 AM
Damn Ship for brains!

ElevenBravo
02-26-2015, 01:40 AM
Finally broke down and saw the DR yesterday, flu test was neg but damn I feel like death warmed over.
Some type of virus, sounds like a lot here are sick too..

And being one to not horde the candy, wife and daughter are now sick (with the same thing?) too... same symptoms anyway. Daughter has the chills, hugging the hot water bottle I fixed her. At least my feavor has stayed down, theres is up to 101.

Drinking fluids, eating and sleeping.. best thing I can can do. Sux Ive been out of work since Mon, I gotta burn all this as vacation (I work in a sweat shop, we dont get sick days to use). Doesnt feel like much of a vacation to me!

EB

Sniper-T
02-26-2015, 01:47 AM
frolick naked... it'll seem like a vacation!

run, dance, skip!... all is good!

Alas Babylon
02-26-2015, 07:40 PM
Picked up a dozen hens to replace the ones the racoon killed last fall. Averaging 10+ eggs per day. (and giving away half)
working on a nipple watering system fo them this weekend.

Sniper-T
02-26-2015, 09:33 PM
picked up another 3 Jerry cans of gas. with coupon .79/litre Supposed to be back over a buck by mid March.

2die4
02-28-2015, 07:45 PM
This morning I went through the Mrs. GHB and restocked water and other goodies. Had to get on her case about letting me know when she gets into the bag so I can replace it quickly. Also checked the car first aid kits to replace expired meds and ointments.

ElevenBravo
02-28-2015, 09:00 PM
Got my 2100H programmed, all the tools I needed came together (USB to serial, and serial programmer).

Trying to plan out Lil'Bravo's M&P purchase, looking at ammo for bulk.

Will be installing my 2" budget boost lift on the Jeep when it gets warm enough.

Need to get out and shoot more, but need more primers which are hard to find right now.

Just getting over an ass kicking virus, mimics the flu and Im on day 6 with it, I hope to be back to work Monday, been out all week!

That is all for now...
EB