Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: What is everyone reading now and/or read lately

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    Due to my neck problems, for the last 20 years I have had to lay on the bed and hold the book straight arm length above me, and my arms sure did get tired. Now I am mostly listening to the audio books. For me, they are the greatest thing. I also sometimes read books on the kindle or iPad. So for me it's only ebooks.
    I was never taught any American history in early school. We lived in England for 4 yrs, so I learned British history. So to make a short story long, I am trying to learn as much as I can about WW2. So the last few ebooks have been
    The Coming of the Third Reich Richard Evans
    The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. William Shirer
    All But My Life. Gerda Klein
    Farewell to Manzanar. Jeanne Houston
    Mein Kamph. Adolf Hitler
    I wrote the explanation because I didn't want you to think I was a illiterate Nazi lover.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Been rereading The Art of War and The Five Rings. Also my 1971 Rangers Handbook.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Crotch Rocket

Hey, thanks for reminding me! I borrowed the Book of 5 Rings from the library. Its overdue.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
    Also my 1971 Rangers Handbook.
    Grumps, I think it's about time for a new Ranger Handbook.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

LOL! I'm a Luddite!
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Premium Member
    My last read was Agenda 21 by Glenn Beck.
    Don't wrestle with pigs; you'll get all muddy and the pigs will love it!

I'll most likely shit myself

I just got started on "Creating a Forest Garden, Working with Nature to grow Edible Crops" by Martin Crawford.

I the basis of the book is along these lines. Working to create a long term area to create a multi layered food production system. The plantings are chosen to work in unison with each other, Canopy type trees, with an under story of shrubs, and ground cover. Using perinneals and some annuals. Some plants are grown strictly to hold down weeds, other to increase soil nutrition. An example would be a grove of three or four pecan trees, with blue berries planted on the borders of the trees, several annual plants such as cabbage or such, and then a good ground cover (I haven't gotten very far yet).

I had this book recommended by a friend from the old site. He has been working on this system going on two years now and apparently is making some progress already. He says he will have somewhat of a harvest later this year. His thinking is to get food production coming in with very little work like you do with a typical garden, freeing up time for other important task in a SHTF situation. BTW, he has moved to his BOL already. I'm hoping to learn a lot and make use of this book as time goes on.

I'll most likely shit myself

I just grabbed this PDF on Black Smithing from another site. I just scanned thru it, but it appears to be a pretty good book for someone just starting out. I'll get into it and do a report.

http://www.soilandhealth.org/03sov/0...cksmithing.pdf

A laugh a minute
    Thanks bp my DH is wanting to learn blacksmithing and I have been trying to find a place where he can learn that trade. I can't even find a blacksmith shop where they still do that like the old school.
    I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

If you try, you will see,
    That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    Currently I am listening to the "Autobiography of Nikola Tesla", and "Wizard, the Life and Times of Nikola Tesla". And as far as actually reading a book, "One Second After" by William Forstchen. But I am still struggling with "Green Egg and Ham", ...esp. what is the main characters motivation, and as to why he won't eat them here nor there.