PDA

View Full Version : What have you done to prep this week?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Willie51
09-27-2012, 02:18 PM
^They're making their own insect repellent. :)

carolinasurvivalist
09-28-2012, 01:18 AM
Got a new job that gave me a nearly 50% pay increase. Very excited to be able to step up my preps in the near future!

4suchatimeasthis
09-28-2012, 01:49 AM
^^^ Good for you!!! That's fantastic!

Echo2
09-28-2012, 01:51 AM
Was asked today if I would be interested in 2 cases of bacon that had been broke open.....The answer was yes...

48 lbs for $50.....:p

ak474u
09-28-2012, 04:14 AM
Got a new job that gave me a nearly 50% pay increase. Very excited to be able to step up my preps in the near future!

Where's that money you owe me? Lol. Congrats, I got a seasonal job that dovetails with my regular job (even my boss works there during Christmas). So, I got a 50%ish raise too, for the next 3 months.

Sniper-T
09-28-2012, 02:30 PM

You did notice the thread about my birthday coming up right? I can forward you a list...

lol

congrats!

I found 3 cast iron pots yesterday, a 1-1/2 qt saucepan with lid, a 2-1/2 qt sauce pan w/ lid, and a 7" deep frypan. brand new, still greased. got the set for $20.00

Echo2
09-28-2012, 03:51 PM
I found 3 cast iron pots yesterday, a 1-1/2 qt saucepan with lid, a 2-1/2 qt sauce pan w/ lid, and a 7" deep frypan. brand new, still greased. got the set for $20.00

What brand?

Sniper-T
09-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Not sure... I'll have to check. They aren't the top of the line, but I imagine they'll be used exlusively in my firepit, so they should do just fine

prepguide
09-28-2012, 09:20 PM
Been working on cleaning up the barn, reorganizing and creating more usable space as fall is coming. Each winter I pull the various implements in one at a time and rehab them in preparation for the coming spring and use. I am thinking that this year I am going to get an earlier start on that work to make sure I can get it all done. World situation being the way it is having the ability to grow a large amount of our own food could make the difference between living and not.

bacpacker
09-30-2012, 03:44 AM
We hit up a produce market today. Since our tater and onion harvest was crap this year, we picked up 50lbs of taters and 15lbs on yellow onions. Also got 2 bushel of Roma tomatos, 5 lb of red bell peppers, and some Granny Smith apples. Stopped at a Amish store on our way home and got a shit load of spices.

Earlier in the week the wife hit up Walmart and got 25 lbs of bacon, and probably 15lb's of chicken. I also got the garden sub soiled this week. Working on what I'm gonna plant this fall and right in the middle of a major inventory and resort of food and gear.

carolinasurvivalist
09-30-2012, 09:31 PM
Switched out mags, reorganized the book shelves, and did some inventory. Thanks for the congrats on the job.

Echo2
09-30-2012, 11:15 PM
Ordered all the maps of BOL property and surrounding areas.

Mounting them on a large board spliced accordingly under a large piece of tempered glass.

In hopes we can use it with dry erase markers....and have a quick reference to point out areas of interest.

We have the plat....and the tax plats of the neighboring property....but this will be a tool that I believe will be of great value.

4suchatimeasthis
09-30-2012, 11:30 PM
Echo, that is uncanny, I was just today thinking about my dads hunting maps. He has a huge black and white aerial photo of the family land, on a 8x4 sheet of osb. They have heavy duty clear vinyl on top, and they use dry erase markers to plan drives. I was thinking that I wish I had one of those, and I have no idea how to go about getting one, the picture in our co. tax assessment page is like 8 yrs old, and needs updated.

Great idea, I agree it would be invaluable!

Echo2
09-30-2012, 11:31 PM
Echo, that is uncanny, I was just today thinking about my dads hunting maps. He has a huge black and white aerial photo of the family land, on a 8x4 sheet of osb. They have heavy duty clear vinyl on top, and they use dry erase markers to plan drives. I was thinking that I wish I had one of those, and I have no idea how to go about getting one, the picture in our co. tax assessment page is like 8 yrs old, and needs updated.

Great idea, I agree it would be invaluable!

Google Maps

Sniper-T
10-01-2012, 10:37 AM
What brand?

I don't know, there are no manufacture marks on them, but they were made in Taiwan. The seem to be quite solidly made, and as thick material as my "Lodge" ones

Echo2
10-01-2012, 10:52 AM
I don't know, there are no manufacture marks on them, but they were made in Taiwan. The seem to be quite solidly made, and as thick material as my "Lodge" ones

I have a few from China....My only reservation with using them is I have read that they at one time were using lead in the casting process.

I don't think that it would be enough to hurt you....and If I didn't have a pile of domestically manufactured stuff....I'd be using them now.

But as for now....I refurbished and seasoned....then stored...some are hanging on the wall.....one that was suspected of having a crack....is now a clock...:)

Sniper-T
10-01-2012, 11:02 AM
lead is used in the manufacture of all steel products, everywhere. It is a necessary ingredient

Echo2
10-01-2012, 12:29 PM
Depending on what's being manufactured.....They were using it in the release agent in the flux compound.

Steel and iron to be used in food grade items, in the states anyway, lead is not to be used by FDA regs.

- - - Updated - - -

This is relatively current....so the old Grizwalds and Franklins I'm using my have been made with it anyway.

Sniper-T
10-01-2012, 12:52 PM
Ok... So I may be outdated too then...

I worked in a rolling mill in The 80's and a forging mill in the Early 90's. I guess times have changed.

Sorry for any mis-information

Echo2
10-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Are you still in the industry?...I saw the pics....dayum....big stuff....:)

Sniper-T
10-01-2012, 01:16 PM
Still in the steel industry, yes, Manufacturing now. Worked in every aspect over the past 25 years. I was on the shop floor putting all that big stuff together when I blew out my shoulder; so now I am delegated to the office, as a planner. (I route every single component of every project through the shop from paper to finished product)

Willie51
10-01-2012, 04:55 PM
I have a few from China....My only reservation with using them is I have read that they at one time were using lead in the casting process.

I don't think that it would be enough to hurt you....and If I didn't have a pile of domestically manufactured stuff....I'd be using them now.

But as for now....I refurbished and seasoned....then stored...some are hanging on the wall.....one that was suspected of having a crack....is now a clock...:)

Echo, How do you refurbish yours? Do you use lye and then season? I have some old Lodge to do.

izzyscout21
10-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Hit up the store this morning. Started refilling the pantry after this years unexpected depletion

AlphaTea
10-01-2012, 07:16 PM
Just acquired a Ruger 10/22 Takedown + 6 more mags.
Another k of 9mm
Rotated some gas and water

Echo2
10-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Echo, How do you refurbish yours? Do you use lye and then season? I have some old Lodge to do.

Electrolysis....battery charger and a plastic drum...and some sacrificial metal.....takes a few days....looks like new though.

mitunnelrat
10-02-2012, 01:04 AM
Finished filling the woodshed today, I'm thinking there's somewhere around 10 full cords of wood in there now. It had one face cord left over from last year when I started. The wood boxes in the house are full too. They take about a half cord themselves.

We have two ash trees to cut down yet for home heat that we'll do in a month or so. That'll have to get stacked outside and tarped over.

There's also a small stand of poplar we'll be taking down for the shop.

Its a good thing I like to be warm...

NWPilgrim
10-02-2012, 03:08 AM
I installed a wireless IP camera ti monitor our front door. It is an indoor model that now I have proven the concept I will replace it with a dedicated outdoor cam and move this one indoors as a grandbaby cam or to monitor inside when we travel. I can monitor and control from my laptop, Kindle or iPhone.

I extended the 120v line from an outdoor light to a new receptacle box under the porch roof and the plug the DC adapter into that. Plus, now I finally have a receptacle on the porch area for Christmas lights. :)

Willie51
10-02-2012, 03:33 AM
Picked up a good deal on a 2008 6X10 closed trailer this weekend. It's in excellent condition and ready to roll, but I will service it this week just to make sure. It's main purpose is a BO trailer.

Echo2
10-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Stopped by an office sale....got a FAK, 1/2 case TP, 200+ #2 pencils, 15 reams of paper, and if it's not leased....a portable defibrillator. Should find out today.

Sniper-T
10-02-2012, 01:26 PM
Finally have the stone masons coming in today to get my fireplace rebuilt. Looks like I will be able to burn this winter after all!!

*whew*

Echo2
10-05-2012, 01:01 AM
They are discontinuing the original Leatherman Multi-tool.....:(

So I got on ebay and found a few of them....

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y484/echo26c/leathermans_zps06a6fe22.jpg

Been wanting to get one for the kids BOBs

Willie51
10-05-2012, 01:55 AM
Got new shoes on my truck today and also on my new (used) 6x10 BO trailer I just bought. Sam's was running a sale on BF Goodrich that started today- buy 4 and get $50.00 off the set. They did not have my size in stock, so I took the paperwork down to Sears and they matched it.

Also, helped the Ms. to get signed here. Her name is Songbird. :)

ladyhk13
10-05-2012, 05:08 AM
This week we stocked the freezer with meat and I've been picking pecans from our tree. I have several lbs now and the tree (where I can reach with a ladder) is still pretty full, just not ripe yet so I'll be doing it several more times. Dh says he'll put me up in the tractor bucket so I can reach the higher branches...that will be a lot of pecans! I don't have any more room in the freezer so I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all of them!

4suchatimeasthis
10-05-2012, 05:21 AM
^^^ Get another freezer, silly, lol.

We got 26 heavy duty pallets, for FREE! I tried to pay the guy, he wouldn't take any money...he gave me some "religious literature" instead....which was fine with me. He was actually a very respectful and courteous guy, and I would like to get about 25 more pallets from him, for my woodpiles. This Saturday hubby is taking off (thank you Jesus!) so we can get this hay storage area finished, and purchase our hay for the winter. It's only going to get more expensive from here on out.

Hubby scored some %50 off canned goods tonight (some progresso soups, german potato salad, and petite peas with pearled onions), at Wally world. I told him I have some stashed cash, and I am sending him back tomorrow to empty the shelf, lol.

izzyscout21
10-05-2012, 05:30 AM
This week we stocked the freezer with meat and I've been picking pecans from our tree. I have several lbs now and the tree (where I can reach with a ladder) is still pretty full, just not ripe yet so I'll be doing it several more times. Dh says he'll put me up in the tractor bucket so I can reach the higher branches...that will be a lot of pecans! I don't have any more room in the freezer so I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all of them!

Can't you can them? or use the sucky machine?

ladyhk13
10-05-2012, 06:29 AM
We're going to get another freezer once we move to the other property (the one we have now is HUGE - one of those professional ones, the frig/freezer are 6' wide) and know what they layout is going to be.

Izzy, I will have to sucky them again...still have ones from last year. They are in the freezer. I've never tried to can them. Don't know if it can be done...they may go rancid over time due to the oils in them.

Sniper-T
10-05-2012, 10:42 AM
Try a small batch and see.

4suchatimeasthis
10-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Maybe you could make your own nut butter, Lady? How bad could it be? Plus, it would save some space.

Sniper-T
10-05-2012, 04:24 PM
slingshot ammo?

mitunnelrat
10-06-2012, 01:14 AM
Or barter. It seemed like the seed swap was popular for a bit. Now that ya'll are done sowing, why not try trading what you reap?

ladyhk13
10-06-2012, 01:16 AM
Or barter. It seemed like the seed swap was popular for a bit. Now that ya'll are done sowing, why not try trading what you reap?

Haha "Lady has some extra nuts" anybody want some???? I can see the responses now!!!

4suchatimeasthis
10-07-2012, 01:39 AM
Hubby and I took the day "off", he was able to get off of work, and I farmed out the older kids to their father, so we went shopping. We cleaned out the canned goods at Walmart, they were selling those big 40oz cans of beef ravioli for $1 each, and then cans of german potato salad half off, and more cans of petite peas with mushrooms and pearled onions. Yeah, we got some funny looks from people, and the cashier even commented that we must really like ravioli, but hey, I saved a TON of money!

We also hit up the local flea market and got some assorted things for the kids, and also, the biggest ammo can I have ever seen. Or carried. I don't know the dimensions, but my first thought was 'hey, that's big enough to be a bench!'. Anyway, it was like $10, and hubby was thrilled.

And on the way home we stopped at a neighbors place, he has a field of pumpkins. We bought 13 pumpkins (including a massive "Cinderella" sweet for baking) for $20.

It was an awesome day!

Willie51
10-07-2012, 04:26 AM
Sam's dropped their gasoline to $3.48 per gallon. So I loaded up some cans and filled them up (60 gals) and then treated with Sta-Bil. Stored them in son's garage and covered up with a canvas.

Taz Baby
10-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Haha "Lady has some extra nuts" anybody want some???? I can see the responses now!!!

lmao HHHHHHHHHHHHeeeeeeeeee HHHHHHHHHHHaaaaaaaaaaa ( laughing while rolling on the floor while the image is still in my head) Can't seem to shake it. Twin you really crack me up at times. Thanks, I needed a good laugh today.
http://www.bouncingoffthewall.com/images/rofl.gif

FL-Jeeper
10-08-2012, 12:40 AM
Picked up a neat little homemade camp trailer made from the back half of a pre-2006 Jeep Wrangler. It came complete with a Dana 35 rear end (minus the ring gear), new shocks & a fair set of 32" mud terrain tires & a canvas deck cover. This effectively doubles my hauling capacity as my BOV is an 08 Wrangler. Since I've picked it up, I've had a hundred ideas on how to improve it & it has a ton of potential... one of my favorites involves replacing the missing fuel tank, mounting it up with an electric pump & some fuel line & "bam" I got an auxiliary fuel tank. IIRC they hold close to 20 gallons. Power could be supplied a number of ways... ;)

Bluebird
10-08-2012, 01:49 AM
I have wonderful neighbors who gave me a huge box of apples. I made apple pie filling. Yesterday I made a apple pie with some of it. Yum, Yum. With this I can make different things. I was so grateful for the apples. Just can't waste anything, especially if it is free. This is a fun storage item. I got 14 quarts. I love it, it has no preservatives or other crap they put in our food. I need to buy one of those items you need to have to make applesauce.

Bluebird

prepguide
10-08-2012, 01:55 AM
The nearest Big Lots was having a 20% off sale today so went and picked up a variety of goods including laundry soap, dish soap, dried fruit and more. Saved over $30 which is always a good thing.

Taz Baby
10-08-2012, 02:21 AM
The nearest Big Lots was having a 20% off sale today so went and picked up a variety of goods including laundry soap, dish soap, dried fruit and more. Saved over $30 which is always a good thing.

If you sign up on their mailing list, they will send you emails with coupons and such. We get them all the time and save. Same with Harbor Freight. It's always good to save money.

We are finishing up here and will be heading back to the BOL. Then the real work begins. We have a lot to do before winter.

Grumpy Old Man
10-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Does freezing and processing 60 lbs of tuna filets count?

mitunnelrat
10-08-2012, 09:27 PM
I don't think so, Grumpy, not for me anyway. You'd have to send me one for it to count.

Grumpy Old Man
10-08-2012, 10:41 PM
Maybe I can send you a smoked one?

Echo2
10-09-2012, 12:54 AM
We also hit up the local flea market and got some assorted things for the kids, and also, the biggest ammo can I have ever seen. Or carried. I don't know the dimensions, but my first thought was 'hey, that's big enough to be a bench!'. Anyway, it was like $10, and hubby was thrilled.
!

Was it like this?

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y484/echo26c/boxfullpic_zps5ae5bfe2.jpg

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y484/echo26c/boxdim_zps93798fe1.jpg

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y484/echo26c/boxtop_zps87b31afe.jpg

mitunnelrat
10-09-2012, 06:10 AM

Maybe I can send you a smoked one?

I'm good, but maybe you could get some pecans ;)

LUNCHBOX
10-09-2012, 08:18 AM
I was given 4 large (1 gallon) ziploc bags of blackberries that were frozen. I was told they needed space in the freezer for something else. Of course I took them and will be passing them off to have jam made. I should get 2 jars and will give up 2 jars to the jam maker. I already gave a couple steaks to the berry givers in exchange.

As always...picked up extra can goods.

msomnipotent
10-10-2012, 03:33 AM
Still working on the basement! I found a video game I forgot about and put in on eBay for a 4 day auction. It went for just over $200, which went right towards paying off part of a personal loan. It was World of Warcraft Burning Crusade collector's edition, in case you were wondering. I loved the first Warcraft game, but I don't play well with others. Also might get our second scooter on a trade next week. I got a great deal on a scooter last month ($40 and some jewelry I refuse to wear)and decided we should both have one in case gas skyrockets. Both need work but I am trying to trade for it on craigslist.

Jimmy24
10-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Just the monthly "supply" run. I try to devote x amount of money every month to continually upgrading my "stuff".

Been loading up on ammo pretty much. Seems prices are holding at the moment. Figure I better stock more before it starts going up...

Jimmy

Echo2
10-10-2012, 05:41 PM
8 two pound bricks of vacuum sealed coffee.

2 replacement filters for a Katadyn hiker water system.

mitunnelrat
10-10-2012, 07:25 PM
Cleaned out and reorganized the working half of our wood shed. Its ready to take the pile of lumber we salvaged for deck and garden projects next year.

I pulled my trapping equipment out while doing that as well. I am way, way behind in getting that cleaned up and ready. The season starts in 5 days. I'm excited because its the first year I can place footholds and go after coyote.

Helped prep ingredients to can 8 more jars of spaghetti sauce this morning. I'd rather split and stack another cord of wood than chop one more onion I think.

Oh, I "think" I managed to quit smoking... I've only had one cigarette in the past 3 days, and it tasted/ felt horrible. I'm concerned with my ability hump a ruck any distance... Since none of my BOL's are exactly close, this is a serious issue. So, its no smoking, no soda/ pop, and little to no beer. Portion control and "diet" planning are in full swing as well. Exercise will be light over this winter, mostly cardio on the elliptical, some back care yoga, and what body/ free weight/ resistance training I can do at home or work.

Sniper-T
10-10-2012, 09:46 PM
good job MTR! those are key things to focus on! got my fingers crossed for ya.

When I can stop working 90 hours a week, I think I'll quit smoking again too.

2die4
10-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Brought more cans of hearty soups to add to the food stores.

mitunnelrat
10-10-2012, 10:13 PM
Thanks, T. Oddly enough, quitting smoking would be even easier if I WAS working like that. I'm not exposed to it here like I am at home.

slowz1k
10-11-2012, 01:29 PM
Picked up a NEF 12GA single shot breach loader for next to nothing yesterday. It was looking pretty rough but cleaned up pretty good. Took 2 hours to get the bore clean and shiny. Thought sure it would be pitted, but it looks mirror clean after a lot of soaking and scrubbing.
After a few modifications, I plan to use this as a stowed weapon that stays hidden in a half bath at one end of my house. This is the room that I prefer to use for "light reading and research" and is somewhat isolated from the rest of the house. I've been worried about getting caught with my pants down (literally) during a home invasion while indisposed with nothing but harsh language and Charmin as a defense.
I call this my "Throne gun"

carolinasurvivalist
10-11-2012, 05:45 PM
Had a buddy take a job in a big city and since he won't be doing any hunting up there he sold me his climbing stand, game wagon, and pop up blind for a great price. Not to mention rifle season for deer opened today at our farm property...perfect timing.

Taz Baby
10-13-2012, 05:07 PM
Went to some yard sale's today and got a set of 3 stainless steel bowls for $1, 5 medium size ceramic planters for $1 a piece, and the best deal is a Ab Circle Fitness Workout Pro Machine for $15. Looks like it has never been used. Now how to figure out how to pack them in the car to take home, since the car was already full when I got here.

http://health.kerals.com/beauty/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/AB-Exercise-Equipment.jpg

Taz Baby
10-13-2012, 05:47 PM
Just ordered my medical herbs for next spring planting. Here is what I ordered. All this for under $50 that includes shipping.

Feverfew Seeds

Sage, White Ceremonial Seeds

Self Heal Seeds ( this is also called All-heal and we have 2 of these plants if they have survived.)

Lifeline Medicinal Seeds Kit
This handsome, and conveniently packaged set of seeds is a great foundation primer for those wishing to start a medicinal herb garden.
Each packet of seeds is certified organic through OTCO.
Each kit contains 1 packet of each: Astragulus (50 seeds), Holy Basil (100 seeds), Burdock (100 seeds), Calendula (100 seeds), German Chamomile (500 seeds), Echinacea purpurea (200 seeds), Elecampane (100 seeds), Evening primrose (200 seeds), Flax (200 seeds),
Lemon Balm (200 seeds), Marshmallow (100 seeds), Motherwort (200 seeds), Nettles (400 seeds), Cayenne pepper (100 seeds), Sage (100 seeds), Valerian (100 seeds), Wood Betony (100 seeds), Yarrow (200 seeds).

Echo2
10-13-2012, 10:51 PM
144 cans of various veggies...

6 large cans Crisco.

6 pr of the sunglasses I like....S&W 38 Specials

ladyhk13
10-14-2012, 03:52 AM
Just ordered my medical herbs for next spring planting. Here is what I ordered. All this for under $50 that includes shipping.

Feverfew Seeds

Sage, White Ceremonial Seeds

Self Heal Seeds ( this is also called All-heal and we have 2 of these plants if they have survived.)

Lifeline Medicinal Seeds Kit
This handsome, and conveniently packaged set of seeds is a great foundation primer for those wishing to start a medicinal herb garden.
Each packet of seeds is certified organic through OTCO.
Each kit contains 1 packet of each: Astragulus (50 seeds), Holy Basil (100 seeds), Burdock (100 seeds), Calendula (100 seeds), German Chamomile (500 seeds), Echinacea purpurea (200 seeds), Elecampane (100 seeds), Evening primrose (200 seeds), Flax (200 seeds),
Lemon Balm (200 seeds), Marshmallow (100 seeds), Motherwort (200 seeds), Nettles (400 seeds), Cayenne pepper (100 seeds), Sage (100 seeds), Valerian (100 seeds), Wood Betony (100 seeds), Yarrow (200 seeds).

Taz are you planting these in pots are are you going to put them out in a garden?

- - - Updated - - -

Ordered a double stack All American Canner/Cooker, pulled up my sweet potato's.

Taz Baby
10-14-2012, 04:56 PM
All my herbs are planted in pots. That way I can control them better and don't have to fight as many pests. I will start them in starter pots and then transfer to bigger pots as they grow. Hopefully by spring I will have a greenhouse I can keep them in. I plan on having 2 greenhouses, one for herbs and one for garden starter plants.

ak474u
10-15-2012, 03:09 AM
Got a new knife for my birthday, made a kydex multitool sheath, and cranked out a G26 holster this weekend. Next week, new furniture for an ak that I'm getting ready to sell, and then selling the ak for AR upper and Cmmg .22 conversion kit.

Sniper-T
10-15-2012, 10:26 AM
cleaned up the yard and put aside 15 bags of leaves for next years gardening

got a deer hanging in the garage

prepguide
10-15-2012, 11:41 AM
Yesterday I did something that I don't do often enough, I rested and relaxed. Got home Saturday from Texas after finishing up a good size consulting job that lasted the entire week. Got home quite a bit later than I had planned but that was because I stopped on the way home at the house of a prepper friend of mine. They invited me to join them for dinner and we had a great conversation and a terrific meal.

I took Sunday and did some laundry, dated and put away a load of groceries, caught up on some emails, wrote out the bills and watched a little football and a couple of movies. I slept really well last night and now feel much better going into this week. Its easy to forget to take some time for yourself once in awhile. I know that for me that is something I don't do as much as I should but when I do I make it count. Have a great week all.

Willie51
10-15-2012, 02:59 PM
^You gotta do that from time to time. Down time and recharging the batteries is good. :)

msomnipotent
10-15-2012, 03:23 PM
Things have been going pretty smoothly. Still on track to pay off the bills within my time frame, finally getting some things sold on craigslist, and I am teaching myself about motors. I traded an old bow for a go kart and took the carburetor apart. I'm still looking for replacements parts, but I think I will just take the motor out (5hp Tecumseh) and replace it with a 7hp Predator. I read that they are Honda clones and they are on sale. I bought a Springfield XDM. Between selliing on CL and doing surveys, it was almost free. I also got a free year membership to Sam's Club through a survey, so I can stock up easier. All of my do-it-myselfness seems to have inspired my husband. He started to make a cat condo out of scraps in the basement instead of spending $100 on one at the store. So more junk is getting out of the basement!

Taz Baby
10-15-2012, 03:50 PM
You go girl on learning how to do for yourself. Give hubby a big brownie point for that one, (not spending and more DIY) Hopefully he will see that it is fun when you build something yourself.

prepguide
10-17-2012, 10:43 PM
So far this week I have managed to service nearly all of the assorted farm implements which I am really happy about. That puts me several weeks ahead on other maintenance concerns which increases the flexibility I have with some projects. Still have much to do but with 320 acres there is always more to do lol. Plans for the coming weeks include a major fencing job and adding more firewood

Echo2
10-17-2012, 11:59 PM
Not really a prepping thing....

But my Christmas shopping is DONE!!!!

I don't have to deal with crowds....WOOHOO....:)

Taz Baby
10-18-2012, 12:55 AM
Not really a prepping thing....

But my Christmas shopping is DONE!!!!

I don't have to deal with crowds....WOOHOO....:)

Mine too I buy what I need when I need it. And for others, they get theirs on their birthday. Except for the Grandkids, they get what they ask for when they ask for it.

izzyscout21
10-18-2012, 03:25 AM
I just scored 10 brand new in the wrap H&K AR mags for a whopping $40

Willie51
10-18-2012, 03:54 AM

Not $40 for all? You mean $40 each? If you decide to sell any or can get more let me know.

Echo2
10-18-2012, 10:39 AM
Not $40 for all? You mean $40 each? If you decide to sell any or can get more let me know.

That's what I was thinking.....lucky bastard....

izzyscout21
10-18-2012, 12:50 PM

It was $40 for all. 4 bucks per mag.

Echo2
10-18-2012, 01:17 PM
It was $40 for all. 4 bucks per mag.

You sir....suck....j/k....great find:)

4suchatimeasthis
10-18-2012, 03:27 PM
Well lets see....we "inherited" an old disk for free I guess. Actually, a buddy of my father in law has sold his farm, and is giving away some equipment, and my FIL snatched up the disk. So, it's still at my FIL house in town, but it will make it's way out to the farm in a week or so. It will come in very handy for breaking up the sod where the garden is going to be. The future garden spot is one of the three pasture lots I have, which I am rotating the horses through. For this winter, I will keep the horses in the garden lot, and they can muck it all up, crap all over, and enjoy themselves.

Willie51
10-18-2012, 05:00 PM
You sir....suck....j/k....great find:)

IZZY, I agree....you suck...dangit..I'm jealous!!!! No, really congrats on a steal my friend! I love those mags. They are over $55. each here in Florida, when you can find them.

- - - Updated - - -

We would love to hear how you got them so cheap. :confused:

izzyscout21
10-18-2012, 05:34 PM
IZZY, I agree....you suck...dangit..I'm jealous!!!! No, really congrats on a steal my friend! I love those mags. They are over $55. each here in Florida, when you can find them.

- - - Updated - - -

We would love to hear how you got them so cheap. :confused:

a GI buddy of mine needed some gas money for his trip home after he get out next week. He doesnt have an AR, so he threw out $40 bucks and I said "sold".

I also grabbed another MICH helmet, Interceptor vest, hard plates, goretex top and bottoms, rain suit top and bottoms, rucksack, and a complete FLC

ak474u
10-19-2012, 12:30 AM
a GI buddy of mine needed some gas money for his trip home after he get out next week. He doesnt have an AR, so he threw out $40 bucks and I said "sold".

I also grabbed another MICH helmet, Interceptor vest, hard plates, goretex top and bottoms, rain suit top and bottoms, rucksack, and a complete FLC

I'll give ya $80 for those mags, that's 100% profit! Pm me for address. Lol

Echo2
10-19-2012, 12:35 AM
$160....not kidding.....:)

izzyscout21
10-19-2012, 01:05 AM
I'll give ya $80 for those mags, that's 100% profit! Pm me for address. Lol

$160....not kidding.....:)

You guys are funny............

prepguide
10-19-2012, 12:57 PM
I did a presentation last night on personal security and situational awareness to a group of approximately 40 preppers at a meeting in Oklahoma City. Good crowd, attentive and had some great questions. I love my job! :cool:

Sniper-T
10-19-2012, 01:15 PM
put about 50 pounds of deer into the freezer, and have another 15 pounds in marinade for jerky.

Sniper-T
10-19-2012, 02:04 PM
Just got off the phone with a butcher friend of mine. He slaughtered some pigs yesterday and has them hanging. He's got a 1/2 tagged for me, so it'll be ready next week!

PLUS!!!

he is going to keep a couple bags of scraps for me from when he butchers the rest, to mix in with some other meat I have for sausage. :)

Echo2
10-19-2012, 02:07 PM
Just got off the phone with a butcher friend of mine. He slaughtered some pigs yesterday and has them hanging. He's got a 1/2 tagged for me, so it'll be ready next week!

PLUS!!!

he is going to keep a couple bags of scraps for me from when he butchers the rest, to mix in with some other meat I have for sausage. :)

Awesome....My pig will be back from processing Monday....can't wait.

Sniper-T
10-19-2012, 02:23 PM
First thing I am going to do is slice off some 1-1/2" thick chops and stuff them for the grill!
mmmmm

Echo2
10-19-2012, 02:35 PM
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y484/echo26c/esbit_zps3f29e6a7.jpg

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y484/echo26c/esbit2_zpse8a552b0.jpg

Just arrived yesterday.....:)

Stormfeather
10-19-2012, 10:54 PM

Once again getting on the Izzy Sucks Bandwagon!

Jimmy24
10-20-2012, 02:07 PM
3 more large jars of freeze dried coffee. 2 five pound bottles of honey.

Couldn't help it, was in Sams....:rolleyes:

Also picked up 2 more 550 round boxes of 22. A brick of bucketshot and slugs. This "Bullet Tax" thingy is bugging me...

Jimmy

AlphaTea
10-20-2012, 11:17 PM
moved the decimal point on my ammo total to the right;)

Echo2
10-21-2012, 12:14 AM
one in the group scored 300 gallons of off road diesel....and a double wall tank....:)

Evolver
10-21-2012, 01:39 AM
one in the group scored 300 gallons of off road diesel....and a double wall tank....:)

Nice score!!! Most of the double wall tanks are for under ground use. By the new UST regs all under ground tanks need to be double walled with interstitial monitoring. Is it fiberglass or coated steel? I was in the petroleum industry for 15 years so if you want to bury it I can give you some pointers on how to keep it in the ground and what should be done to protect it from getting eaten up by electrolysis . :)

Echo2
10-21-2012, 02:00 AM
Nice score!!! Most of the double wall tanks are for under ground use. By the new UST regs all under ground tanks need to be double walled with interstitial monitoring. Is it fiberglass or coated steel? I was in the petroleum industry for 15 years so if you want to bury it I can give you some pointers on how to keep it in the ground and what should be done to protect it from getting eaten up by electrolysis . :)

I doubt we'll bury it...It will probably find a home as the scavenge tank for the 30kw PTO generator....we have it mounted to a concrete pad with a 50 gal tank on a stand.

xusualsuspectx
10-21-2012, 02:42 PM
We added more ammo to the total. We are also preparing to help teach a preparedness class at our church. So far,over 70 people have signed up.

prepguide
10-21-2012, 02:59 PM
Added a mixture of cleaning and hygiene supplies to the overall. Also more matches, candles and motor oil. I'm trying hard to increase all my areas of preps, just have this feeling that all of it will be needed sooner rather than later and for the life of me wish I didn't but the feeling keeps growing. No harm at all in having more of the things I normally use.

- - - Updated - - -

We added more ammo to the total. We are also preparing to help teach a preparedness class at our church. So far,over 70 people have signed up.

Please let us know how it goes. Just did a presentation on Thursday night to about 40 preppers that was well received. People were eager for the information. Hope it goes well for you!

4suchatimeasthis
10-22-2012, 09:31 PM
This weekend we took a little trip to a not-so-local meat processing plant. Scored some major deals on about 80lbs of beef and pork. Also, they do custom processing for a very decent price. My parents used to butcher their own beef/pork/chicken/venison, but they had the advantage of a cold winter. Down this far south you really don't have that option, so it's either build a smokehouse, or pay someone to process it for you. I guess that works for me.

Also, we picked up two dogs, since my husband accidentally ran over and killed my dog last week. Yeah, now that I can actually type that without bursting into tears, or yelling at my husband. I should have prepped waterproof mascara, because I'll be danged but I was bursting out crying at the most awkward times. Anyway, we need dogs here, since the neighbors mutts are all over the area, plus wild critters bugging my chickens, etc. So we rescued a beautiful blue heeler puppy, about 6 mo. old, and a 3 yr old Catahoula, both just about to meet their Maker, due to an over abundance of animals at the shelter just over the Ky line. I have spent the better part of the last few days working with them, they are doing very well so far, and catching on quickly. The shelter kid (she couldn't of been more than 19-20 yrs old) was getting drug around, and by this morning I had them at my side, on a slack leash, sitting when given the command. Not too shabby! I have a theory, that training dogs will be a lot like training horses, and a lot like doing laundry. Keep caught up by doing a little every day, and you will be alright. Slack off for a few weeks and you will be drowning in dirty laundry, and it will take forever to get caught back up. If you work with your horses, or dogs, a little every day, they will do great. But if you don't stay consistent, and you are not investing the time in them that they need, working them, training them, exercising them, you will be overwhelmed with hyper, crazy, unhappy, and potentially dangerous animals. Take the time to do it right, and it wont end up taking much time at all. Slack, or "rush it", and you are in for a world of hurt and frustration. So, I am still heart broken over my Justice dog. He was one in a million. These new dogs don't, and can't replace him. It's like losing a child and getting a gold fish. But they are still good, and needed, and I enjoy the mental and physical challenge they provide. I guess I just get my kicks taking an animal that is out of control, and helping them find balance, it's very gratifying.

AlphaTea
10-23-2012, 05:28 AM
Fastfire for my 10/22 TakeDown

Sniper-T
10-23-2012, 09:52 AM
Picked and dehydrated all of my remaining herbs (Thyme, Sage, Oregano)

ak474u
10-23-2012, 06:20 PM
Rotated food, organized more food, making list of pre-election goodies to pick up just in case.

Echo2
10-23-2012, 07:06 PM
12 tubes of tooth paste....

5 sticks of deodorant......

4 double packs of floss....

4 12 pks ivory soap....

6 double pks of tooth brushes....

6 bottles mouthwash....

12 boxes fem-care products....

6 rubbing alcohol.....

2 H2O2....

3 boxes Q-tips...

Ordered....

2 cases 96ct each TP...

1 case 6 ct of 1/2 gallon hand cleaner....

1 case 12ct brown paper towels...

1 case 6 ct spray disinfectant....

1 case 8oz foam cups (1000)

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot.....Got 3 large fire extinguishers from old building being demoed....free....had them checked and tagged for service.

Sniper-T
10-23-2012, 07:14 PM
Two turtle doves...
and a Partridge... in a pear tree!

:)

Echo2
10-23-2012, 07:22 PM
Two turtle doves...
and a Partridge... in a pear tree!

OK....I laughed at that.....:)

ak474u
10-23-2012, 11:16 PM
I walked into the Wally World and found huge bins of spices for $.50ea, got onion powder, onion flakes, Italian seasoning, garlic salt, cinnamon, nutmeg etc. not a huge selection, but they don't expire till 16' so I'm putting them away, and since we rotate regularly, we'll use them before expiration. My thinking is making beans and rice taste better in a bad situation.

Willie51
10-24-2012, 01:35 AM
Fastfire for my 10/22 TakeDown

Fastfire? PM me if you like. Thanks.

Katrina
10-24-2012, 04:47 AM
Got my order from Emergency Prep, Grain mill (hand) Peanut butter powder. Vanilla powder is on the way (DH gots to have his peanut butter). Put together a GH bag for DH for his trip to SD next month. Got the outside plastic window screens for the room on the back deck and dh and I installed on Sunday and the table top propane heater for the room. Problem is now I still have to got outside in the rain to smoke. The plastic holds the smoke in the room Oh well I am really trying to stop, hopefully by Christmas I'll have stopped.

mitunnelrat
10-24-2012, 07:06 AM
I was doing ok until I had a few beers the other day. If having an accountability/ quitting buddy would help I'd be up for it. I wish you luck either way!

prepguide
10-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Added some more rice as well as some additional hygiene supplies. Adding a little here and a little there adds up sooo quickly once you've reached a point of having at least six months of everything. The mental comfort factor goes up a bit each time another bag or package of something follows me home. Also picked up a few more assorted parts kits from Harbor Freight earlier this week. With living on a farm there is always ten somethings that needs fixed or maintained or tweaked and those little parts kits are a huge help especially for the price. Harbor Freight is one of those stores it is not a good idea for me to go in to when I have money LOL

Baker
10-25-2012, 04:04 PM
Couple packs of AA and AAA cells, a Grundig G8, a Kaito 16 foot compact antenna, more coffee, and some more soap and TP. Possibly add more to that tomorrow. I *THINK* I may pick up a CB handheld, or a VHF base station, to expand on the whole commo area which I'm regretting I have waited so long to do.

Also I need to add more medical stuff, more boo boo items, blood stoppers, and some longer term wound care. And a pre-made FAK and fire extinguisher+smoke detector for the new shed.

Too bad we never got a tax cut for being prepared lol.

msomnipotent
10-25-2012, 07:46 PM
I have been sick for the past 2 weeks or so, but I have still been busy. Finally got the basement in somewhat of an orderly mess. Still need to get rid of a lot of stuff but I'm not ready to die of embarrassment if someone goes downstairs now. We finally have room to shelter there if needed. Also finally got the go kart fixed and it starts on the first pull now. It has been such a great learning experience and has really boosted my confidence. So much so that the "scooter" I went to trade my Mosin for turned out to be an actual motorcycle and I did the trade anyway. I think I can do most of the work myself and sell or trade it in the spring for something good.

I got some good deals while online shopping: 2 Fenix flashlights and 1 Primus EtaPower Pot for the BOB, 96 rolls of Cottonelle, some Enloop rechargeables and I know I am forgetting something. More TP, a bunch of cold meds and canned goods, flour and rice from Costco.

Organizing the supply closet with first aid and meds is next on my list. I have 5,001 band aids and half are so old that they are unusable. They still have the little red thread inside to open them! Of course, I find this out as my finger is dripping blood all over.

DarkLight
10-26-2012, 12:58 AM
Got my free account at the local restaurant supply club using my business license and I'll be, the prices there beat Costco and SAMs by a good 10-20% at least. Spent about $130 and its the first place I've found that has dried beans in bulk and #10 cans of fruit.

Katrina
10-26-2012, 02:03 AM
I went and got an electric cigarette AND I am going to see an acupuncturist. She has an 85-90% success rate. The Cig is the Blu made in America and the cartridges are also made in America with NO propylene glycol in them. But I'd be happy to be a "quitting" buddy.Lord knows I need the help!!

ak474u
10-26-2012, 03:26 AM
I went and got an electric cigarette AND I am going to see an acupuncturist. She has an 85-90% success rate. The Cig is the Blu made in America and the cartridges are also made in America with NO propylene glycol in them. But I'd be happy to be a "quitting" buddy.Lord knows I need the help!!

You're not the only one, let me know how that blu goes, I did the njoy, and it tasted like tea, which is fine, but, it wasn't the same, I'm certainly willing to try another one. Oh, and don't leave it in the heat of a car, mine melted all the goo out of the inside.

mitunnelrat
10-26-2012, 03:47 AM
I'm currently puffing on a "tsunami" e-cigarette myself. It tasted horrible at first, but I'm getting used to it, and use it a lot less than I'd be with an actual cigarette... at least when I don't drink.

Echo2
10-28-2012, 03:40 AM
Got this today at the gun show....the guy was walking in....$50....:)....

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y484/echo26c/vest.jpg

Went to the gun show to meet up with a buddy....He's a vendor....called and said he had a project piece I could have....

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y484/echo26c/broke.jpg

Went back to shop and did this....

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y484/echo26c/brokefixed.jpg

While there.....a guy in the same complex asked if I'd be interested in this....for $120....couldn't get it to stay running....

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y484/echo26c/genny.jpg

Fresh gas and removed the ancient air filter....runs now.

Real close to the best day ever.....

Taz Baby
10-28-2012, 06:22 PM
Well plans have changed before heading home and that is all about prepping. We are half way there, stopped to help 2 more of our group to pack up and leave for the BOL right now. But that is a good thing just a very sudden change. But in prepping you have to expect sudden change and be able to deal with it.

bacpacker
10-28-2012, 11:51 PM
After one heck of a Spring/Summer we decided we needed to take a bit of a break. Camped a little and then spent a week up in the mountians on the TN/NC state line. No phone, internet, traffic, people. A nice cool week at 4200'. Did a bunch of walking, pic takin, and mainly relaxing in a super quite location. I had been sick for a week before we left and generally felt like crap. After this we both feel recharged and ready to go again. Just what we needed.

Stormfeather
10-29-2012, 12:54 AM
rearranged some of the bug out bags prepping them for wintertime

4suchatimeasthis
10-29-2012, 03:30 AM
Not sure if this counts, but I spent about 15 hrs training dogs this week. We got a 3 yr old Catahoula, and a 6 mo. old Heeler mix from the shelter. I had looked at them online before we went, and I was debating between the two of them. When we got there, they had them both in the same little pen. They get along really well. The Catahoula's name is "Bo" (he came with the name), so I call him "Bo Kenobi". And the Heeler is "Luke", aka, "Luke Yard-Walker". :) Yes, I'm a geek. They have both made some fantastic progress, I am very proud of them. Bo apparently has no herding instinct at all, but has a very strong hunting/scent drive, and, already he makes a good watch dog, he is aware of everything, everywhere. Luke does have a strong herding instinct, in fact he is already trying to herd the kids around, lol.

Bo is a very smart dog, smart, independent, and good hearted. He is high energy, and he is definitely giving me a workout! I am contemplating teaching him to run along side a 4 wheeler, lol.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/c0.0.403.403/p403x403/525642_432631226801366_1390076745_n.jpg

And the puppy, he and my kids get along very well, but he is definitely the beta dog. He is usually off the leash, but I have to have him tied up when I work with Bo, or he is a pest, lol.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/c67.0.403.403/p403x403/427856_432633320134490_839224497_n.jpg

Sniper-T
10-29-2012, 12:22 PM
Got another deer hanging in the garage, and put another 5 geese into the freezer.

Grumpy Old Man
10-29-2012, 10:39 PM
I must confess that I didn't do one damned thing! I spent the week away from home and after flying 8 hours to get back home I just watched the Miyamoto Musashi Trilogy, made in the 1950s and starring the greatest samurai actor of all time, Toshiro Mifune. Oh yeah, and grilled a steak.

FL-Jeeper
10-30-2012, 12:48 AM
Received my latest amazon order. Metal oil lantern, wick kits & lantern oil.

Oh & four P-38 type can openers for BOB & camping gear.

prepguide
10-30-2012, 02:15 AM
Today I cleaned and reorganized the supply room in the house and I am wiped out but that room is now completely tuned up. Also when I was taking a load of trash in laying right next to the dumpster was a large (30x14x66) metal storage cabinet someone had tossed. I looked it over and it followed me home.

I had to wire wheel and grind the bottom as it was pretty rusty but it cleaned up and after a few coats of primer and a good cleaning it is now in the supply room with a variety of items stashed inside which further freed up space. Also went through this morning and reorganized all my stored ammunition, I didn't like how I had it so I took care of that and now I am very happy with them all. Realized I need to buy at least one more of the fat fifty cal cans but will likely get two and plan ahead.

A good productive day

Evolver
10-31-2012, 12:07 AM
I must confess that I didn't do one damned thing! I spent the week away from home and after flying 8 hours to get back home I just watched the Miyamoto Musashi Trilogy, made in the 1950s and starring the greatest samurai actor of all time, Toshiro Mifune. Oh yeah, and grilled a steak.

:eek: If you have to fly to Atlanta??? :eek: I hate that frigen air port!!!

AlphaTea
11-02-2012, 08:44 AM
1000 foot spool of 550
12 boxes Various Rice-A-Roni (on sale)
Rotate some water
Rotate some Gas and Add Pri-G

DarkLight
11-02-2012, 01:50 PM
Started getting my teeth fixed. Got a Root Canal yesterday and two out of the four crowns I need started. :swollen:

prepguide
11-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Repaired a large section of fencing on the east end of the place and took time off yesterday to enjoy my birthday

Echo2
11-04-2012, 12:24 PM
went to scrap yard....picked up 9 more 20lb propane tanks.....will use the 2 full ones....and swap the other 7 next week.

They give them to me...:)

Got a sand blast cabinet....needs gloves and collection port nozzle.....$10

Sniper-T
11-05-2012, 10:42 AM
^ you doing the "TANK TRADER" thing to get them filled? Around here Costco is less than 1/2 price of the trade programs. I just use the trader sleeves to swap out old tanks for new ones.

I picked up 300# of oats for $30. The catch is it is not 'human grade' which means I have to pick through it for impurities (other seeds, pebbles, etc) I use most of it for deer feed, but will keep a few pails worth for myself

Echo2
11-05-2012, 12:17 PM
The tanks are past date in most cases....I swap once to get a new tank.....then if needed get them filled at the farmers co-op....much cheaper there.

Closest Costco is Richmond....:(

I'm up to 60+, 20# tanks now....:)

Sniper-T
11-05-2012, 03:38 PM
....I'm up to 60+, 20# tanks now....:)

:O

holy crap!

um... do you have anything that runs on propane?
lol

Echo2
11-05-2012, 03:55 PM
Stoves, heaters, lanterns, water heaters, etc

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone have a line on a rack like they have at the tank swap places?....I'm in the market.

White Tiger
11-05-2012, 10:25 PM
FCC amateur radio license - General class - now have several radios (base stations HF/VHF and 2m/10m).

One long distance HF antenna (covering 80m-10m) & building one VHF antenna (covering 2m) for local contact.

Mobile (2m) radio and a mobile/portal 10m do not yet have antennas.

That is in addition to food, water, ammo & home defense tools.

Echo2
11-05-2012, 10:44 PM
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y484/echo26c/fishing.jpg

bacpacker
11-06-2012, 12:13 AM
I picked up a little stove to stick in the GHB (gotta get some canisters now). After getting it, I wish I had got 3-4 more of them $20. Just wasn't sure how well it would work. Also got some SOS lifeboat rashions for our GHB's.
I'm currently about half way thru rotating my fuel stocks. Should have that completed by next week.

Katrina
11-06-2012, 03:43 AM
I put up pasta in half gallon and quart Mason jars and sealed them with my sucky machine. Going to get more jars and pasta this week end before the sale is off and get it put up.

Stormfeather
11-06-2012, 05:01 AM
Rotated almost all the fuel cans, refilled and added PriG to them. Put a dent in the pocketbook, but needed to be done.

Now trying to figure out what to do with the the Albatross Land Rover. ECU went out in it. Got a new/remanufactured ECU only to find out that they will reflash it, but I need to tow the rover in, with the new ECU, for them to reflash it, and the closest dealership is 2.5 hours away. No guarantees that it will work. Huge PITA ass, but although I like the vehicle, im not that attached to it! May put it up for sale as is, or donate it depending on how we are looking tax wise this year.

carolinasurvivalist
11-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Bought 4 more 5 gallon gas cans, filled them and added stabilizer. 2 bricks off 22lr and started chainsaw shopping.

Echo2
11-08-2012, 10:43 PM
24 tubes of toothpaste.....more soap.

Got my buddy at Kroger to order....24 cans corned beef hash....24 cans bacon spam....24 cans beef stew.....24 cans chili.....48 cans of tuna....12 cans salmon.

I also picked up a couple extra air filters and spark plugs for the HomeLite Generator I picked up the other day.

Picked up 3 more super siphons.

bacpacker
11-09-2012, 12:09 AM
Finished up my Deseil Fuel rotation for now. Have 20 gallons more of gas to go. I've been dumping it into the car to burn thru it and just fill the tanks back up. I did try to time it since fuel prices are as good as they've been in months.

Picked up more chicken feed, gloves, & Stabil.

AlphaTea
11-09-2012, 11:49 PM
Monthly fuel rotation (late)
Heartworm stuff for the TAST
more ammo
More TP
More beans

Echo2
11-10-2012, 12:07 AM
5 pcs 100ft lengths of 3/8" rope.....

Choate Ultimate Sniper Stock for my Savage 110 FP .223.....ordered bi-pod adapter for it also.

12 three pks of strike anywhere matches.

50 gallons K1.

Echo2
11-10-2012, 09:15 PM
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y484/echo26c/reels.jpg

Metrocruiser
11-11-2012, 02:51 AM
Hi
I bought some action pack storage containers for the suv and for the house. Got a bob knapsack for everyone in the family. Loaded them up with first aid. Food bars. Batteries. Led lights. Survival knives. Rain gear. Walky talkies.

Started gun shopping.
Joined this forum to learn what im missing and what i should focus on based on where my bol is.

Evolver
11-11-2012, 11:35 AM
Hi
I bought some action pack storage containers for the suv and for the house. Got a bob knapsack for everyone in the family. Loaded them up with first aid. Food bars. Batteries. Led lights. Survival knives. Rain gear. Walky talkies.

Started gun shopping.
Joined this forum to learn what im missing and what i should focus on based on where my bol is.

Welcome to the board Metro.

bacpacker
11-12-2012, 12:07 AM
We took a quick trip to visit my nephew and work on some escape routes for him to get up to our place. We hit up a few places on the trip. Here is a list of goodies we found.

Molle type Shot shell pouch 15 rds
Turniquet
2 pair EMT shears
4 pks SOS 2400 calorie bars
2000 round 40 grain HP .22 ammo
3 boxes 168Gr .308 BTHP
Stainless Cup
2 gas bottles for pocket rocket stove
2 instant cold packs
2 pair of work gloves
2 H-14 manuals “In Time of Emergency” From the office of Civil Defense Copyright 1968. Both are in brand new condition.

eagle326
11-12-2012, 01:31 AM
Good score B.P.

I can't wait to get that care package. ;)

xusualsuspectx
11-13-2012, 12:24 PM
We finished building bug out bags. I got the garden tilled for the winter. We inventoried our food supply,and we bought some more shelves.

Echo2
11-13-2012, 12:56 PM
4 more superpails of powdered milk.

6 large containers of chocolate milk powder.

1 case 6ct Crisco shortening.

10 gallons peanut oil.

Evolver
11-14-2012, 08:52 PM
Your coming right along Echo! :)

FL-Jeeper
11-14-2012, 10:29 PM
Stirred the compost pile & pulled the sweet pepper pots onto the porch. Picked up a cool trunk for the camp kitchen & fueled up grandaddys old Dietz oil lantern. The wicks good & no leaks.

Oh, and added 20 or so cans of this & that to the stocks.

mitunnelrat
11-15-2012, 12:04 AM
Picked a new hunting spot and did/ doing some primitive skills development this week.

AlphaTea
11-15-2012, 12:30 AM
Magazine extensions
Looking for a mate for my Mossberg 500

robsdak
11-15-2012, 01:22 PM
ok, guys don't laugh to hard. i am feeding the Squirrels in the back yard. i know, sounds odd, but i want them good and fat. i have a healthy population of game here around the house and nothing like fresh meat in times of need.

we have a pretty good store of things, but add to it all the time. the BOGO at Publix is the bomb.

Echo2
11-15-2012, 10:54 PM
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y484/echo26c/matches.jpg

matches...bunch of matches....:)

bacpacker
11-16-2012, 12:07 AM
Nice Echo, very nice. Where did you order those from? What's in there 36 or 48 boxes?

Echo2
11-16-2012, 12:10 AM
Nice Echo, very nice. Where did you order those from? What's in there 36 or 48 boxes?

12x3...36

hardware store down from my shop.

4suchatimeasthis
11-16-2012, 12:21 AM
Our local Dollar General store is running a sale, $0.55 per lb for frozen whole young turkeys, and $1 per lb for frozen cooked/basted whole turkey breast. That is a really good price for around here, but they limit one each per purchase....so hubby and I are coordinating to hit em up, and each of us pick up one of each, today, tomorrow, the next day...till they stop us, lol. I would be happy with about 15 of each in my deep freezer out in the shed. Later in the year I would like to make up some mega batches of soup/stews and can them. We have a turkey smoker thingy (inherited from a friend), which we have never used, how hard can it be to figure out?

Stormfeather
11-16-2012, 09:46 PM
I JUST BOUGHT 20 BOXES OF TWINKIES!

yea yea, call me goofy.. .check the news out and see why!

AlphaTea
11-17-2012, 01:40 AM

Holy crap!
Yer gonna be like a millionaire!!!

robsdak
11-17-2012, 06:32 AM

some say gold and silver Stormy hits up the next profitable item...... TWINKIES...... ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Stormfeather
11-17-2012, 09:07 AM
hell to the ya! $50.00 a ounce... . yellow gold! Twinkies. . . . .come get your twinkies!

Echo2
11-18-2012, 01:20 AM
Lets just say sizeable ammo purchase......9mm.....5.56......308.

carolinasurvivalist
11-18-2012, 01:37 AM
Just got done sighting in my first air rifle I've had since I was a kid. Let me tell you they have seriously got some nice ones now. I went with the Gamo Silent Cat. If you haven't checked them out lately I recommend giving them a look because these guns ain't no Red Ryder...able to shoot standard pellets at under the sound barrier or shoot at 1250fps with the pba pellets. Also grabbed a few more boxes of .40 critical duty.

izzyscout21
11-18-2012, 01:11 PM
My wife picked up an older model sewing machine yesterday. It's a Brother VX-808. All the parts are there and it still works. Best part is..........only 8 bucks.

Now............we both have to learn to use it.

eagle326
11-18-2012, 02:03 PM
My wife picked up an older model sewing machine yesterday. It's a Brother VX-808. All the parts are there and it still works. Best part is..........only 8 bucks.

Now............we both have to learn to use it.

We have probably 4 or 5 machines newer used and a couple like grandma used with the wheel on the side. I always help wife with sewing when she lets me. Can't have enough machines with 12 grand kids and 3 great grand kids.

Oh and bucoo material of different sorts.

izzyscout21
11-18-2012, 02:11 PM
if I ever get this thing figured out..............there's a monster lurking inside.............

GunnerMax
11-18-2012, 06:11 PM
I got from the dollar store for storing away and not using:
1 Hydrogen Peroxide
1 Tripe antibiotic ointment
1 ace bandage
1 toothpaste
3 bars of soap
2 shampoo
2 shaving cream
3 types of spices
12 D batteries
24 AA batteries

I had a package of 8 sponges but the wife without me realizing it until now, switched it out to a 2 pack with the green scrubbie side. :( she doesnt understand I got the 8 pack for when I dont care about green scrubbies

FL-Jeeper
11-18-2012, 07:18 PM
if I ever get this thing figured out..............there's a monster lurking inside.............

Heard that. I first put hands on one years ago and have made some cool stuff. Dog harness for offroading with the pooch sans doors, cargo net with snazzy metal attachment hardware, various repairs from personal garments to Jeep soft tops. While I've never had the opportunity to push a heavy duty machine, there's a limit to amount of punishment the home grade machines will take.

On topic:

Perused the local flea market & procured a nice little antique oil lamp in good working order & a few pieces of scrap silver coin for a decent price.

4suchatimeasthis
11-19-2012, 04:24 AM
I have 10 frozen turkeys in my freezer, and I'm not done yet! And many, many more canned veggies. In fact, we got a new flier today, and they are extending the prices another week, and those poor fools are even dropping the price of a few types of veggies to 3 for $1! I have taken to filling up my china hutch with canned goods, since my actual fine china is packed away in my closet. We are hoping to build some real shelves in the pantry this winter, after the new year. The shelves in there now are just a half-step above useless.

Also, bought a good bit of hay today, from an elderly local farmer, and he is a really super nice guy. The hay was a more than fair price, and it was beautiful. Also, with any luck we will be buying some beef calves off of him next year, as soon as they are weaned. Nothing purebred, just some Angus/Hereford cross, but you could tell from how they are built that they have some good lines to them, and hey, once it's on the grill it will taste fantastic!

Jimmy24
11-19-2012, 03:05 PM
Added a new pressure canner to my old one. It's a Presto. Will be able to process twice the amount of jars at one time now!

Jimmy

mitunnelrat
11-19-2012, 10:10 PM
My smoking cessation is going well. I used up and finished with the e-cigarette the weekend of the 10th, and I've only had 4 cigarettes since that time. The urges are almost entirely gone now, and getting progressively weaker.

Since that's going well I'm starting on the next phase of my plan and eliminating caffeine from my day. This is a bigger issue for me than smoking ever was, so I'm giving myself a month.

I've already quit buying Pepsi and switched to caffeine pills so I'm getting an immediate benefit from dropping the extra, empty calories of the soda. I'll be reducing the pill dosage over the next month until I'm only taking 1/2 of 1 for the final 3 days.

Once this deer season is over I'll get into more regular workouts again. Right now I'm too busy sitting in the woods, but I'm definitely on a mission now to "HTFU"

TEOTWAWKI13
11-19-2012, 10:28 PM
another 100 rds of 9mm and 240 rds of .223 for the AR

Evolver
11-19-2012, 11:08 PM
My smoking cessation is going well. I used up and finished with the e-cigarette the weekend of the 10th, and I've only had 4 cigarettes since that time. The urges are almost entirely gone now, and getting progressively weaker.

Since that's going well I'm starting on the next phase of my plan and eliminating caffeine from my day. This is a bigger issue for me than smoking ever was, so I'm giving myself a month.

I've already quit buying Pepsi and switched to caffeine pills so I'm getting an immediate benefit from dropping the extra, empty calories of the soda. I'll be reducing the pill dosage over the next month until I'm only taking 1/2 of 1 for the final 3 days.

Once this deer season is over I'll get into more regular workouts again. Right now I'm too busy sitting in the woods, but I'm definitely on a mission now to "HTFU"

Fantastic and keep up the go work!!! I know what your going through, I'm a smoker and when I quit I have to quit drinking alcohol now if I only quit drinking coffee, eating and driving. I've quit several times and the longest and easiest for me was the patch and it was for one year smoke free. I had it licked but one day... I was a smoker again. The next time I try to quit I'll have learned from the last failed attempts.

Kick there ass MTR!!! :)

mitunnelrat
11-19-2012, 11:47 PM
Thanks E!

I can't think of anything more important that I could be doing right now.

bacpacker
11-19-2012, 11:56 PM
Good job MIT. Keep up the good work.

Put up another 15 gallons of gas and some canned goods. I finally got what I call a portable garage put together. It's a aluminum frame and a nylon or some type material of cover. It's 12x20' and should do a good job for what I'm using it for. Tractor storage and some equipment and lumber. My step dad got this several years ago and decided not to use it. I've had it for over a year and I'm just now gettin it put up.

NWPilgrim
11-20-2012, 05:16 AM
Loaded up 100 rds .30-06 for the Garands. Did some accuracy comparisons last week on several brands of .22LR in my 10/22. Found Blazer and CCI minimags all shot 1.25" groups at 50 yds. Federal Gold Match was 3/4", Federal Lightning and Win Wildcat were near 2" and Rem Golden Bullets and Thunderbolts were 3" or more. So yesterday when the local discount store stocked their shelves I picked up three 525 rd boxes if Blazers.

Thinking about using a sunken part of the crawlspace where there is 4 ft height as a root cellar to store a bunch if potatoes. Never have done this before but understand you bury them in sawdust or straw to protect from freezing. Any tips?

4suchatimeasthis
11-20-2012, 05:59 PM
Here (http://http://jeromestueart.com/2009/09/13/how-to-keep-garden-veggies-fresh-all-winter-the-pedersen-method/) is a page with a lot of great info for storing veggies over the winter.

My dad eats potatoes every single day, no joke. Mom and dad would leave the potatoes in the garden long into the fall, they would just pull the green above-ground plant part of it out once it was dying, and cover the potato mounds with some straw. They also would dig up the carrots, break the greens off, and put them in 5 gallon pails of sand, in the basement on the garage side. However, if you don't get the sand dampness ratio correct, you end up with shriveled or rotten carrots. I'm not sure what the secret is, but this also won't work if you have an indoor cat....

izzyscout21
11-20-2012, 11:58 PM
. However, if you don't get the sand dampness ratio correct, you end up with shriveled or rotten carrots. I'm not sure what the secret is, but this also won't work if you have an indoor cat....

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.

ak474u
11-21-2012, 01:49 AM
Here (http://http://jeromestueart.com/2009/09/13/how-to-keep-garden-veggies-fresh-all-winter-the-pedersen-method/) is a page with a lot of great info for storing veggies over the winter.

My dad eats potatoes every single day, no joke. Mom and dad would leave the potatoes in the garden long into the fall, they would just pull the green above-ground plant part of it out once it was dying, and cover the potato mounds with some straw. They also would dig up the carrots, break the greens off, and put them in 5 gallon pails of sand, in the basement on the garage side. However, if you don't get the sand dampness ratio correct, you end up with shriveled or rotten carrots. I'm not sure what the secret is, but this also won't work if you have an indoor cat....

Bwahahahahahahaha! I feel your pain.

Sniper-T
11-27-2012, 02:23 PM
Hit my favourite dollar store and dropped a C-note:
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/1126121910a.jpg

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/1126121910b.jpg

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/1126121910c.jpg

Echo2
11-28-2012, 01:45 AM
Got all the kids new Carhart coats.

New gloves all around.

Bought myself 24 new pairs of socks....cushioned and reinforced.

Ordered 10 Pmags.

35 gallons K1

Metrocruiser
11-28-2012, 07:19 AM
taking the course up here in Canada that is required before purchasing a handgun or semi auto rifle.
Just ordered 2 SHTFready.com badges YAY!!

Sniper-T
11-28-2012, 11:42 AM
There is links to a video and a study guide here metro, might help you out a little:
http://www.manitobasportsmen.com/index.php/firearms-courses?id=2

robsdak
11-28-2012, 11:46 AM
good for you Metro....

GunnerMax
11-28-2012, 12:10 PM
I picked up a small pack of Q-tips, 4 Power bars, 2 power bar type things, a 12 pack of water purifying tablets, and 2 packs of energy gummies. I am working on stocking the BOB/Buttpack, slow but steady.

bacpacker
11-28-2012, 11:52 PM
Spent most of the weekend removing several dead trees to reduce the fire risk (which is pretty low here most years anyway). Also picked up a diamond sharpening system that I have needed for some time now and this.

http://www.kabar.com/knives/detail/3

I really like the Becker line of blades. I have an old BK-2 from back before Becker was bought by KaBar.

4suchatimeasthis
11-29-2012, 12:53 AM
The last few days I have been steaming and freezing pumpkins. We were given a few, plus the few we had...my fingers are turning orange, lol. And, I found an awesome recipe for pumpkin seeds, just melt half a stick of butter, add some garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce, coat them and toast em, then salt to taste when they are done. My kids and my hubby love em, in fact, hubby mentioned that a buddy of his has a trailer of pumpkins that will get fed to the deer if no one wants them. I actually think he wants them for the seeds, not the meat, lol.

Anyway...yeah, pumpkins. I am looking for a good pumpkin butter recipe. I also sorted some of the canned goods that hubby had picked up last week, so we have some idea of what we have and what we need.

bacpacker
11-29-2012, 01:03 AM
Sounds like a batch of punkin butter waitin to be made.

robsdak
12-01-2012, 05:26 AM
made a gravity fed feeder for my buddies in the backyard. i was feeding them ear corn, but i had 2 that were stealing it and hiding it 'off site'. fun to watch a squirrel steal an ear of corn and try to climb a tree. ;)

put up some canned goods. seen a freezer i am thinking i want to get lil'sis for christmas. well, just get, it's christmas here year round. no need to wait for a special occasion to do something.

bacpacker
12-02-2012, 11:24 PM
Finished up rotating my fuel stock.

Best thing for the week was spending time with a great friend and his family yesterday.

- - - Updated - - -

Best thing for the week was spending time with a great friend and his family yesterday.

Evolver
12-02-2012, 11:32 PM
Cleaned all the house blinds and windows today getting ready to put our little house in the hood on the market.

izzyscout21
12-04-2012, 04:00 AM

Glad you could make it up.

Between you guys and RiverRat and LadyHK, my wife is starting to believe that we aren't all nuts. Keep the illusion going.........it's starting to work. We'll have her bottling water before we know it!

ladyhk13
12-04-2012, 04:54 AM
Glad you could make it up.

Between you guys and RiverRat and LadyHK, my wife is starting to believe that we aren't all nuts. Keep the illusion going.........it's starting to work. We'll have her bottling water before we know it!

Hey, I handed her a bottle when she came through the door and I thought she was going to hit me... :)

bacpacker
12-04-2012, 11:33 AM
Izzy I think we could get her canning before long.

izzyscout21
12-04-2012, 01:10 PM
Hey, I handed her a bottle when she came through the door and I thought she was going to hit me... :)

I don;t think she was going to hit you per se , but I thought she might hit the floor when you started talking about canning off the bat........

- - - Updated - - -

she's coming around. Ya'll have all been a big help with that

4suchatimeasthis
12-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Ya'll are awesome, keep it up!

My hubby has taken up the habit that every time he stops at the store for this or that, he picks up several cans of something for our preps. Usually its canned veggies, but last week he brought home a big bag of iodized salt, 6 of the cylinders with the spout. He was so proud of himself, he said that he didn't see any salt in my "stash" and he knows that it's vital to human function. I didn't have the heart to tell him at that moment, that the reason he didn't see any is because it's mylar'd in 5 gallon pails, not on the shelf with the canned goods, lol. BUT, hey, I am SUPER proud of him for thinking, for taking the initiative, and doing something without me asking. Makes me proud :) And, you can't possibly have too much salt prepped, in my opinion. It's good for people, for animals, good for trading, stores easy.....yeah, happy lady here!

Sniper-T
12-04-2012, 04:57 PM
I hope you showed him some gratification too. (positive reinforcement)

GunnerMax
12-04-2012, 09:08 PM
got 2 M9 Bayonets, brand new. a Damascus knife from a reputed maker, 8 AAA batteries, 2 small tubes of sunscreen, 3 tubes of toothpaste, 1 pack of disposable razors, asked for a Jetboil for my Bday/Xmas, And other things

4suchatimeasthis
12-04-2012, 09:45 PM
I hope you showed him some gratification too. (positive reinforcement)

Of course ;)

Ya know, it doesn't take much to make a man happy, lol. Good food, clean laundry, dirty fun, and respect all times, and he is as blissed out as a pig in mud!

Stormfeather
12-07-2012, 10:01 AM
Of course ;)

Ya know, it doesn't take much to make a man happy, lol. Good food, clean laundry, dirty fun, and respect all times, and he is as blissed out as a pig in mud!

Why dont all women think like this?

izzyscout21
12-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Why dont all women think like this?

Because some omnipotent being gave them the ability to think for themselves on occasion..........dammit...........;)

mitunnelrat
12-07-2012, 09:52 PM
Oh, I could go places with this... Instead, I'll just talk about what I've done this week. :D

I traded my single shot .22 for a small pile of fishing lures.

mitunnelrat
12-07-2012, 11:27 PM
Of course ;)

Ok, I couldn't resist. I had a good friend tell me I was born a century too late for thinking life should be like this.

GunnerMax
12-08-2012, 12:58 AM
I got a 2011 Rand McNally Road Atlas. Itll help for when GPS doesnt work, or when I dont want any GPS following me.

4suchatimeasthis
12-08-2012, 03:01 AM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/63139_447963248601497_1447868670_n.jpg

We finally got our shed painted. Yes, that is a 30lb dumbbell holding the door shut, lol, I don't have the hardware on there yet. And yes, on the north side doorway there, we need to order the track and rollers for the sliding door. You can't see from the picture, but off the back side of the shed is another lean-to that fits about 125 square bales of hay. This project has drug out forever, ya know the drill, 3x as long and 2x as expensive as planned. But, we completely re-roofed the entire thing, and added the hay section to it, rebuild the doors, put down new floors inside, new trim outside, replaced some of the outer wall.....it's a process. It's amazing that the weather down here has held long enough to paint outside, but praise God, it has.

And as far as the "other" comments...well, to be perfectly frank, *I* screwed up my first marriage and hopefully learned my lesson this time around. Someone introduced me to the completely foreign idea that MEN need unconditional RESPECT and WOMEN need unconditional LOVE. Sounds simple, but as you can't give the other person what YOU need, you have to give them what THEY need. So, I try to unconditionally respect my husband (heck yeah I fail), as the head of our home and our family, and in return, the man freakin' adores me. I am the most spoiled women I know! We all have our moments, but on the whole, the more respectfully I treat him, the more lovingly he treats me, the more I want to respect him, the more he wants to love me....it works out well! This spills over into everyday life things, even prepping, because guess what, every time he steps into a Dollar store, Walmart or grocery store, he is bringing me home some preps, even if it's just $5 worth of canned goods or spices, because he knows prepping is very important to me, so he does it without my asking. It beats the hell outta fighting about every blessed thing!

Dropy
12-08-2012, 05:42 AM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/63139_447963248601497_1447868670_n.jpg

We finally got our shed painted. Yes, that is a 30lb dumbbell holding the door shut, lol, I don't have the hardware on there yet. And yes, on the north side doorway there, we need to order the track and rollers for the sliding door. You can't see from the picture, but off the back side of the shed is another lean-to that fits about 125 square bales of hay. This project has drug out forever, ya know the drill, 3x as long and 2x as expensive as planned. But, we completely re-roofed the entire thing, and added the hay section to it, rebuild the doors, put down new floors inside, new trim outside, replaced some of the outer wall.....it's a process. It's amazing that the weather down here has held long enough to paint outside, but praise God, it has.

And as far as the "other" comments...well, to be perfectly frank, *I* screwed up my first marriage and hopefully learned my lesson this time around. Someone introduced me to the completely foreign idea that MEN need unconditional RESPECT and WOMEN need unconditional LOVE. Sounds simple, but as you can't give the other person what YOU need, you have to give them what THEY need. So, I try to unconditionally respect my husband (heck yeah I fail), as the head of our home and our family, and in return, the man freakin' adores me. I am the most spoiled women I know! We all have our moments, but on the whole, the more respectfully I treat him, the more lovingly he treats me, the more I want to respect him, the more he wants to love me....it works out well! This spills over into everyday life things, even prepping, because guess what, every time he steps into a Dollar store, Walmart or grocery store, he is bringing me home some preps, even if it's just $5 worth of canned goods or spices, because he knows prepping is very important to me, so he does it without my asking. It beats the hell outta fighting about every blessed thing!

AMEN!

bacpacker
12-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Great lookin barn. Reminds me of my grandpas old barn. He always kept his painted red. You dont see than much anymore.

I agree with you, in that is so much eaiser workibg together than pulling agaoinst each other.

4suchatimeasthis
12-09-2012, 02:40 AM
Thanks Backpacker. There is talk between my hubby and FIL that they will teach the boy (my 14 y.o. stepson) the joys of hanging drywall in the spring, finish the upstairs of the shed, put in an ac window unit, drag a couch up there, and the old tv....hubby was even looking on craigslist for a mini fridge, to make that their "man cave", lol. I say, have at it! Play the video games out there, or whatever, drink beer and play darts. :) Fine by me! Our big chest freezer is out there, and my stash of cases and cases, and cases canning jars (and boxes and boxes of lids), the rest they can do as they please.

Metrocruiser
12-09-2012, 03:20 AM
I got myself a compass and a scouting book. Going to learn some orienteering with my kids.

Going to use what I learned from the make a spear thread and get my kids to make themselves some walking sticks.

msomnipotent
12-09-2012, 01:45 PM
I have a confession. I haven't been doing well since October, and haven't done any sort of prepping that I can think of since my last post on this thread. Not only that, but my estimates for supplies have proven to be wildly inaccurate, especially my pet food stores. It is back to the drawing board. But it is better to find this out now rather than later. On the plus side, I did finally manage to get the basement cleaned up. I still worry about being crushed by junk if a tornado hits, but at least I will be buried with organized junk.

4suchatimeasthis
12-10-2012, 02:00 AM
I have a confession. I haven't been doing well since October, and haven't done any sort of prepping that I can think of since my last post on this thread. Not only that, but my estimates for supplies have proven to be wildly inaccurate, especially my pet food stores. It is back to the drawing board. But it is better to find this out now rather than later. On the plus side, I did finally manage to get the basement cleaned up. I still worry about being crushed by junk if a tornado hits, but at least I will be buried with organized junk.

Hey, organizing counts in my book! What good is it to buy more and more stuff if you can't find it in all the mess?! Call it "taking inventory"!

prepguide
12-10-2012, 02:02 AM
Inventory IMO is one of the cornerstones of our lifestyle. A phrase I coined and use very often is "You don't know what you need until you know what you have" and I believe that. So keep the faith and don't be down on yourself.

mitunnelrat
12-10-2012, 02:21 AM
I'm another proponent of inventory and organization counting, as I've said before:

I think the threshold for "too much" (of anything, really) is reached when one can no longer effectively organize, store, or protect their supplies/ equipment. We're already in the minority for stockpiling anything at all, so a set amount of "x" shouldn't concern us anywhere near as much as our ability to locate, access, and utilize (through our own skills or those of others) the materials we do have. Imo, caching allows us to multiply those abilities to a great extent, and breaks the amounts at any one location down so we can protect ourselves from "too much" loss . I can't say I'm a great practitioner of this yet, but I have worked it to some degree, and will expand in line with my resources over time.
http://www.shtfready.com/threads/380-Medical-items?p=4255&viewfull=1#post4255

Sniper-T
12-10-2012, 11:46 AM
Great lookin barn. Reminds me of my grandpas old barn. He always kept his painted red. You dont see than much anymore.

I agree with you, in that is so much eaiser workibg together than pulling agaoinst each other.

A tidbit of trivia...

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/blog/2008/09/16/farmers-almanac-trivia-why-are-many-barns-red/

Jimmy24
12-12-2012, 05:48 PM
6 more jars of freeze dried coffee.
100 pounds of sugar

0 bullets....:rolleyes:

Jimmy

prepguide
12-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Have done some major clean up around the place this week. Have hauled off five truck loads of cut down weeds and brush as well as serviced a variety of existing equipment. The place looks much better, removal of the weeds and brush has increased security both humans and animals, lowered the fire danger due to much less fuel and opened up additional usable space. Been a busy week so far and I'm feeling it big time but tangible progress really makes it easier to handle.

greg48
12-12-2012, 07:39 PM
put new wick on kerosene heater, put staybil in generator and all gas cans.

spirit
12-12-2012, 09:29 PM
got some more coffee (can never have enough coffee) and sugar stored and put my 9mm back in service

2die4
12-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Picked up a Katadyn Vario water filter new for $45. 530 gallons off of one filter makes me sleep a little better at night. Now to stockpile filters.....the madness, it never ends!:p

AlphaTea
12-13-2012, 07:35 AM
Bought another Mossberg 500
Found a couple of good deals on bulk 22lr
2 1lb boxes 10p nails
2 1lb boxes 2" deck screws
Got the TAST a tune-up at the vet

greg48
12-13-2012, 12:46 PM
i do like this subject, every post gives me ideas on what needs done...

mitunnelrat
12-13-2012, 01:02 PM
I've already mention I learned a bit about trapping this week and have my first foothold out, and this week is also the start of my first season hunting with a muzzle loader, so this is a week of building skills and increasing my knowledge.

greg48
12-13-2012, 01:34 PM
i've been since last week been working on range cards. am using dry erase boards till i get them finished and plan to transfer it to paper with water protection etc... it's taking a while, i do not have a laser range finder, it's the old fashion way, i still remember my pace count. the dead space i have designated "zombie space"...

mitunnelrat
12-13-2012, 02:25 PM
Unfortunately I can't remember my pace count, but I'll have that corrected soon. I cut a 25 meter length of 550 cord (no range finder here either) a couple weeks ago that I'll use to measure out a known 100 meter length.

Something else I've been thinking about is building some variables into my pace count. My theory is I'll get a more accurate estimation if I get counts on level ground, while going up & down hill, and if I do these both with and without a pack because changes in terrain and pack weight are likely to affect my stride length.

greg48
12-13-2012, 02:58 PM
Unfortunately I can't remember my pace count, but I'll have that corrected soon. I cut a 25 meter length of 550 cord (no range finder here either) a couple weeks ago that I'll use to measure out a known 100 meter length.

Something else I've been thinking about is building some variables into my pace count. My theory is I'll get a more accurate estimation if I get counts on level ground, while going up & down hill, and if I do these both with and without a pack because changes in terrain and pack weight are likely to affect my stride length.

i used all those variations when i first learned my pace count, don't forget to work around things like buildings and trees to hone your skills. don't really know why i still remember it, i've still got my pace count beads. it's funny how some things stick in your mind for years...

Sniper-T
12-13-2012, 03:04 PM
k, so for those in the un-know... what the hell are you guys talking about??

bacpacker
12-13-2012, 03:16 PM
Basically learning how far you travel in a given number of paces or being able to determine where you have moved to given the number of paces you have went.

Everyones pace is different so its something you have to determine for yourself. And like has been mentioned different terrian, obstacles, etc make it vary. So you need to figure all of it into the calulations. Or something like that.

greg48
12-13-2012, 03:37 PM
before the days of range finders and gps we had to determine the distance travelled etc...walking at a normal pace we devoloped a way to determine 100 meters...back in rogers rangers days i'd say they were good enough to look at the stars or the moss on some tree or some funky actions to determine distance...
if anyone wants to get into range cards we can?

Sniper-T
12-13-2012, 03:41 PM
Unless you are humping along a road, or something of the ilk... I really don't see the feasibility of this nor the usefullness. When I am out hunting, the last thing I would be doing is counting my steps, but even if I could, it would be something like this:

1, 2, 3, 4, stop... look... listen... take 2 baby steps to the side, peek around a tree, 5, 6, stop... step up on a log, scan around, 6-1/4, 6-1/2, 6-3/4, inching up the log, 78, double footed jump down to the ground, 9, 10, stop... listen... 10-1/2, 2 side steps behind a tree, wait, wait, raise the gun, BANG!... 11, 12, 13, look... look... 14, 15, yell "woohoo", JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP, run run run run.... gut gut gut gut... drag drag drag

*sniper ponders... what number was I on again??

izzyscout21
12-13-2012, 03:52 PM
picked up
1 gallon olive oil
1 #10 cans of green beans
2 #10 cans of corn
1 #10 can peaches
1# 10 can of Chef Boyardee ravioli:o

mitunnelrat
12-13-2012, 04:11 PM
[QUOTE=Sniper-T;52795]Unless you are humping along a road, or something of the ilk... I really don't see the feasibility of this nor the usefullness. When I am out hunting, the last thing I would be doing is counting my steps, but even if I could, it would be something like this:

1, 2, 3, 4, stop... look... listen... take 2 baby steps to the side, peek around a tree, 5, 6, stop... step up on a log, scan around, 6-1/4, 6-1/2, 6-3/4, inching up the log, 78, double footed jump down to the ground, 9, 10, stop... listen... 10-1/2, 2 side steps behind a tree, wait, wait, raise the gun, BANG!... 11, 12, 13, look... look... 14, 15, yell "woohoo", JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP, run run run run.... gut gut gut gut... drag drag drag

LOL!

I can see where that might be a problem. For me though, it'd be nice for establishing distances like greg does, and also for gauging how far I've traveled on a hike. The pace beads come in handy for that, and I've heard its just like anything else. Do enough repetition and it becomes an automatic behavior to count the 100 meters out and pull a bead down.

greg48
12-13-2012, 04:42 PM
by the way "rogers rangers standing orders" are still damm good rules to live by... today or in a SHTF world

bacpacker
12-13-2012, 05:47 PM
I got a set of pace counter beads years ago. At first it is a major PIA. But after awhile it comes natural. I do remember the instructions were to count one foot not each step.

4suchatimeasthis
12-13-2012, 06:02 PM
Haven't prepped much lately, other than finishing the shed, and won't be prepping big stuff (other than hitting up the sales on the holiday food items, mainly canned goods), I am to busy working on Christmas gifts. We built a Barbie Doll house that I kid you not is 4 ft tall (for 1/10th the cost of buying one, I might add, and ours is solid wood, vs. plastic crap). OMG, what was I thinking? Plus I am doing some sewing projects, making custom stockings for friends (NFL teams, College teams, Disney stuff, you get the idea), it's that time of year.

But. I got the flier for out local Dollar General Market, 2 for $1 canned goods again, and the ham is on sale too. Watch out kids, this lady's going SHOPPING!

DarkLight
12-14-2012, 12:47 AM
Found a killer deal on 3 packs ($50 for all 3, one of them a brand new external frame) and finally got my crowns.

Echo2
12-14-2012, 01:25 AM
Well...a job I've been banking on panned out.......So I'm arming out the rest of the family....Santa's being good this year.

5 Glock 17

5 extra mags

2 AR15s A3M4 by Core

20 Pmags

1 S&W M&P 15-22

3 extra mags

2 870 Tactical 7 shot

2k rds 9mm

2k rds 5.56

200 #4 buck

2200 rds 22lr

Merry Christmas to all....and to all a good night.....:)

Will post pics when I pick it up.

4suchatimeasthis
12-14-2012, 02:49 AM
^^^That Glock 17 is a nice gun...I adore mine! Now to find a .22 conversion kit....

Echo2
12-14-2012, 02:57 AM
^^^That Glock 17 is a nice gun...I adore mine! Now to find a .22 conversion kit....

I have a Tactical Solutions 22lr conversion....well worth it....cheap trainer.

2die4
12-15-2012, 03:11 PM
http://s15.postimage.org/9goarufpz/oldmeds.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/9goarufpz/)Found a pouch of meds that was buried in a moving box. Going to replace this today.

izzyscout21
12-15-2012, 03:27 PM
Picked up 250 rounds of 9mm

prepguide
12-15-2012, 03:30 PM
Tomorrow is our monthly prep group meeting. We are doing a hands on workshop on the various types of canning (pressure, water bath, dry) a presentation on a communication system and having some social time. Should be a really good day. Getting some clean up done today before everyone shows up tomorrow.

greg48
12-15-2012, 04:01 PM
if anyone runs across any super deals on ammo, i'd appreciate if you'd pass it on. i go over several places on the net daily, may miss something.

not prepping today working the last overtime day i'll get for the year, however tomorrow is FOOTBALL, i'll set in front of the TV, watch a couple games, run a rod thru some wpns and do some wpns cleaning, that's usally how i watch a game,

Metrocruiser
12-15-2012, 06:50 PM
heading out to buy 50 gallons of water today.
read alot of threads here.
thinking about how can I improve outdoor perimeter detection with low cost methods instead of high cost devices.